Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

is this how food stamp FRAUD works?

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by lethal tupperwa, Oct 15, 2012.

1. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Aug 20, 2002
    Why woman bought one grape with food stamps
    Posted on October 5, 2012 by Dr. Eowyn | 30 Comments
    Victoria Baer, of advertising agency The Baer Edge in Jacksonville, Florida, received this email from her friend who lives in Gainsville, FL.
    Snopes has not debunked this story and, as of October 5, 2012, claims their “research” on it is “in progress.”
    Here’s the email:
    At approximately 2:30 pm, September 6, 2012, I entered the Publix store on Main St. in Gainesville, FL to pick up a few items. I gathered my items and went to the 14 and under register to check-out. The person in front of me (a white female, approximate age 35-43, fake nails, big braided hair do, clean clothes, carrying a purse and a plastic drinking cup) put her purchase on the check-out surface – ONE GRAPE.
    Yes, that is correct ONE GRAPE. The cashier asked if that was all, she replied yes. The cashier then weighted the GRAPE and told the women the cost was $.02 (TWO CENTS), the women then pulled out her Food Stamp EBT card and swiped it through the credit card machine, requesting $24.00 in cash back. The cashier asked if she wanted the GRAPE, the woman replied no and the GRAPE was put in the garbage can. The register recorded the sale as $.02, cash back $24.00. The cashier then asked if fives would be okay because was out of tens, the woman agreed and took the $24.00 folded it up and put it in her pocket and left the store.
    As the next person in line I asked the cashier as a tax payer what in the hell just happened here she said she was on the clock and could not comment. I then asked if I had actually seen this person purchase and discard a GRAPE, then get cash back on her Food Stamp EBT card. The cashier responded that it happens all day, every day in their store. She also said that if the person buying the GRAPE has it ring up over $.02 they get mad and make her reweigh it.
    My next comment was to ask the cashier if she planned to vote in November and she said she could hardly wait for 11/6/12 to get here as one tax payer to another. I paid for my groceries, in cash, and left the store madder than 10 wet hens.

Now you know one of the reasons why America is broke, and why the 49% of Americans who actually pay federal income taxes have had enough and we will not put up with this any longer.
    Oh, just so we’re clear on this: Barry Soetoro Steven Dunham Hussein Obama has no problems with this fraud and actually is aiding and abetting welfare abuse by removing Clinton’s work requirement from welfare recipients.
  2. IvanVic

Apr 19, 2012
    Someone posted this same chain email in general chat last week.

3. JBnTX

JBnTX Bible Thumper

Aug 28, 2008
    Fort Worth Texas
    Was it a red or green grape?
  4. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Aug 20, 2002
    did they get an answer to "Is this how food stamp fraud works"?
  5. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Aug 20, 2002

whichever would ring up at the lower price.
  6. Hyksos

May 15, 2008
    Jupiter/Miami, FL
    I've been to that Publix. Trust me, the whole EBT thing is 100% for sure. I'd say almost all of East Gainesville uses EBT. So much so that East Gainesville is essentially a food desert. That Publix on main street is one of I think two that are anywhere near East Gainesville. West Gainesville has something like 10+ supermarkets while East only has 1 or 2. Gainesville is essentially still segregated, blacks in the East, whites/students in the West.

The only thing I would be unsure about in this email is whether they actually give cash back. I know for a fact I've been behind people in line back when I lived in Gainesville, and those people would use EBT's to buy food while they were texting on their iphone. Their cars had rims sometimes too. I always wondered how you could afford Rims and an iphone and still get EBT.
  7. Vic777

Jan 23, 2006
    Why didn't she take the grape?

America is dead, your children will be slaves.
  8. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    I say get rid of EBT and make people come to a central warehouse for commodities.

Receiving charity shouldn't carry a stigma, but receiving generational charity should.
  9. JBnTX

JBnTX Bible Thumper

Aug 28, 2008
    Fort Worth Texas

No, no, no!
    They just need to ban grapes.

Grapes are the source of most EBT crime in this country.
    Grapes are just too easy to get.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  10. callihan_44

callihan_44 INFIDEL

Aug 19, 2010
    AGREE, you get food not money...though people will find a way around that and sell the items they get out of there.
  11. Gundude

Mar 7, 2003

Hilarious that anyone would think their vote on 11/6/12 is going to change this situation.

"Well, I voted for Romney, so I've done my part to fix this mess."

12. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    How else would you fix it except getting individuals to vote?
  13. Gundude

Mar 7, 2003
    There is no fix until a third party gains traction. Both major parties support welfare, so voting for either major party supports welfare.

It's not that I expect the cashier or her madder than 10 hens customer to fix it, I'm just amused that they feel they're addressing the problem by voting (Republican, I assume).
  14. IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Bingo.. I personally think this is the answer to EBT fraud... get retailers out of the mix, and put the Govt in charge of, you know, Govt. programs. Once they see who is getting their benefits and who is abusing them, things would change significantly.

However, I'm not sure what is mentioned in the OP is fraud. What it appears to me, is she's using the cashier as an ATM machine for her CASH benefits that are also on her EBT card. ie.. She has to pay $1.25 (at least) surcharge at an ATM machine to get cash off of her card.

If she goes to the grocery store, gets a .02 grape, and requests $25 cash back, she pays no ATM fee.

15. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas

Bringing back soup kitchens would be better.
  16. Cambo

Jun 19, 2006
    When I was in the supermarket business I witnessed the following on a regular basis:
    1. Recepients buying shrimp, lobster and steak
    2. Recepients driving BMW, Mercedes and Cadillac
    3. Recepients parking in handicapped spaces or fire lane
    4. Recepients wearing fur and leather coats
    5. Recepients unfurling huge wad of cash to get to food stamps

This disease followed me when I went to work at a video store that sold movies - A man comes in and complains to store manager(whom he knew) that he was going to starve that Christmas because he had no more food stamps. As he's talking to the manager, he is going around the store putting laser discs(remember those?) and other expensive items into a basket. The manager then rings him up and the bill is $444.00. Recepient pulls out 5 $100 bills and pays like it's nothing.
  17. nursetim

Mar 1, 2006
    liberalville N. M.
    Doc, we still have soup kitchens.
  18. HarlDane

Jul 26, 2005
    San Joaquin Valley
    Not fraud, likely just avoiding ATM fees. As I mentioned in the last thread on this chain email, at least she's being frugal with her public support by trying to avoid giving part of it to the banks; they get enough public support as it is.
  19. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    Yeah, she's very frugal with our money... :upeyes: