close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is this a characteristic of the gen 4 G17?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by nternal, Feb 11, 2012.

1. nternal

nternal

When I eject the mag and pull back the slide to check the chamber the slide won't stay locked back (I have to hold it open). I just got the gun so I don't know if this is a gen 4 characteristic of the G17 or what. I have watched numerous videos of others doing the same thing with glocks on Youtube and, for them, the slide locks in place (with the mag ejected). Is this odd or defective or what?

2. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

It's not supposed to lock back without a magazine. It only locks back when an empty magazine is in the gun. When there's a loaded magazine in the gun or no magazine in the gun, the slide will continue forward.

3. ZekerMan

ZekerMan ZekerMan

Simply hold up your slide lock lever when you have the slide to the rear then release slide and it will stay to the rear.

4. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

The "others" are pushing up on the sldie stop with their thumb when they pull the slide back. If it locked back without an empty magazine, or pushing up on the slide stop, you would have a problem, since the slide would lock after every shot.

You might want to consider that the gun is only worth as much as your knowledge/skill and not rely on Youtube and Glock Talk as your main sources of information.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  5. SCC

SCC Member Me

BUT BREN ALL THE PROS ARE ON YOUTUBE ..AND THEY KNOW IT ALL AND ITS FREE INFO :rofl:

6. cciman

cciman

New to guns, huh... welcome.

This:

7. Radian

Radian

Be sure to take a NRA basic pistol course. You will get more enjoyment from shooting with this under your belt.

Classes are not just for new shooters, dont stress, every master class shooter still trains with someone.

8. nternal

nternal

Dude, I'm in my 10th year of serious Tai Chi training and I'm a rank beginner. You can NEVER get enough of the basics...That's all I work on!:supergrin:

9. ltj9296

ltj9296

As others have said, nothing wrong with your glock. The g17 is a fun pistol to shoot, enjoy. Welcome to glock talk, btw.

10. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

It's not a characteristic of a Gen4 G17. It's characteristic of pretty much every semi-auto out there.