close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is this a brown recluse?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Loudcherokee, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Loudcherokee

Loudcherokee SouthPawGlocker

So, I go down to my basement this evening to put some tools away, and see something hanging from a single strand of spiderweb. I get closer to examine it, and it's a thousand legger. House centipede I think some call them. I usually call them spawns of satan, but YMMV.

Anyways, I'm sitting here wondering what killed this thing that is supposed to be the bad-A** of the insect kingdom. Our house gets them pretty bad every summer, so I'm used to seeing them and subsequently squashing them when I'm fast enough, but never killed by a spider.

I start following the web, and up in the corner is a HUMONGOUS spider. I go for the flyswatter, knock it down and smush it. I start looking closely at it, and notice the little fiddle looking thing on it's back, the long skinny legs, the different colored abdomen, and I'm thinking OMG, is this a brown recluse?

So I take it over to my workbench and get it under the light to start snapping pictures, and notice what looks to be either a dead spider of the same species, or a molted exo-skeleton or whatever they do. I got pics of it too.

What do you guys think? Am I crazy? I live in SW Pennsylvania, and most maps I've seen don't show them up this far, but I'm skeptical.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the dead/molt one

[​IMG]

PLEASE tell me this isn't a brown recluse!

Loud

2. Loudcherokee

Here's a size shot - freshly killed one on the left

[​IMG]

Loud

3. Zonny

Zonny

Daddy Long Legs.

4. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

heck no! That thing will eat a brown recluse for lunch, dinner, and breakfast! It'll eat black widows too!

5. ReyFufuRulesAll

ReyFufuRulesAll Pantless Wonder

Second that.

6. ScottieG59

ScottieG59

It kind of looks like one to me. By the way, arachnophobia is my middle name. But, even I have to realize where the threat is.

So many nasty spider bites have been falsely blamed on the brown recluse. In Kansas City, there were so many that could not be substantiated. Personally, I believe the various jumping spiders are worse. The are more aggressive and can be very nasty.

It is strange, in the Army, I have been in very hostile areas without being afraid. Instead, I just was extra alert.

A spider in the house is a terror to me. I have to be brave because my seven year old is even more afraid. My other son said he was afraid of spiders too and would pick them up to look at them. Well, he did not understand fear well.

Remember, if you are going to treat the house with poison, do the inside first. If you do the outside first, the wee beasties will run into your house.

By the way, I am very itchy thinking about this. Anyway, when I move things around the house, I wear gloves to avoid the bites.

One more thing, due to the large number of false reports attributing bites to brown recluses, the hospitals want to see the bug.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  7. Loudcherokee

Your first link looks to be the culprit! Shwew. Now I can go to sleep if I can get the images of these spiders out of my head.

Frickin HATE spiders. :alex:

I grew up in the south and always feared the brown recluse. Don't know if I've ever actually seen one in person. I treated every brown spider as a brown recluse, and every black spider as a black widow! I have actually seen a black widow though, a nest of them actually. They were webbed up between a wall and a bench on the smokers patio at my old job. Nowhere near any wood as this was a concrete and steel building, and the benches were either metal or plastic if I am remembering correctly. That red hourglass is really vivid, and the biggest spider was super aggressive.

LC

8. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

definitely NOT a BR

9. Loudcherokee

I've thought about treating just for the sake of getting rid of the spawn of satan demon bugs that come every summer. I grew up with having these things in the house as a kid. Our carpet was dark brown, so it was hard to see them, but you'd just catch a glimpse of something moving at light speed across the floor, and know what it was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scutigera_coleoptrata

I don't know if I can though, with having cats that like to explore every nook and cranny of the house. I wouldn't want them to be poisoned.

LC

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  10. BEER

BEER bad example

a brown recluse looks like a "normal" spider. the quickest waqy to identify one is by the "fiddle". look them up online and you'll see the fiddle shaped markings , they're much like the black widows hourglass, they're very distinctive and really stand out.

11. The Pirate

The Pirate HARRRRR!!!

I was at at the Wolfcreek Dam wildlife museum here in central Ky recently, they had a Ky spider exhibit. I'm pretty sure yours looks just like the example they had there. My wife took a pic, I'll see if I can get her to send it to me tomorrow.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

12. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

As a kid, the black widow is the coolest spider on the planet. But then when you have kids, black widows are the bane of back yard to every house owning parent. Go figure huh?

For some odd reason, back in my youth I used to capture, keep, and breed black widows. I did this until one day, my "queen" black widow that beat every other foe that put in her terrarium, was herself killed by a grand daddy long legs.

13. tsmo1066

tsmo1066 Happy Smiley

Relax. Those are "Daddy Long Legs" and they are your best friend when it comes to critters like Brown Recluse Spiders as they eat the hell out of such little buggers.

14. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Not necessarily "Crazy".

But you might wanna go get some new panties when you are done freaking out.

Oh, and spiders kills insects. You know, those things that drive us crazy all day.

15. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

This is Glock Talk. The correct GT answer is: "Eeeek, a cottonmouth!"
    :rofl:

16. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

17. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure

18. BEER

BEER bad example

this discussion again? i thought we had it settled that it was a deadly cotton back diamond mouth rattle viper? lol

19. ReyFufuRulesAll

ReyFufuRulesAll Pantless Wonder

I agree 100%. that's why I don't kill spiders. Or bats. Frogs and barn swallows are my friends as well. The mosquitos around here suck so bad, I need all the help I can get. :wow: