close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Is this .40 brass safe to reload?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Meathead9, Aug 8, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Meathead9

Meathead9

Aug 23, 2009
    The PRK
    I bought 5k pcs of 40 brass a few months ago (LE range pickups from a retired LEO), and I just now got around to really checking them out. I know, that was dumb. I'd say atleast 75% look like this, and these cases spent 6hrs in my vibratory tumbler (walnut/nufinish).*

Would you reload these? I don't care about how pretty they are or aren't, I'm just not big on case failures. They were supposed to be for my USPSA 40 Major Load, so pretty high pressure stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. country85

country85

Jan 14, 2012
    Greentown, IN
    You could try some brasso in your media, may get rid of some of the corrosion. As long as they are not cracked or split I don't see why you couldn't use them.

3. Meathead9

Meathead9

Aug 23, 2009
    The PRK
    Yeah, no cracks/splits/bulges, I'm just afraid of the tarnish/corrosion causing weak spots in the cases.

4. I don't touch corroded cases like that. Too much of a risk IMO and the corrosion is toxic.

5. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    Brasso and cartridge brass are a bad idea. Brasso contains ammonia which makes brass brittle.

Tarnish won't hurt anything. Corrosion I'm not sure about. I never had any brass that looked like yours. If I did, I'm sure I would have shot it and I would be able to report on how it went.

6. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    I'd say if you can clean them up and there is not serious pitting you could use them for bunny fart loads.:dunno:

I doubt I would use brass like that for warm-hot loads.

Makes me wonder if the guy washed the brass in water, soap, vinegar and salt. I read on other forums where guys use that combo of stuff mixed in water to clean brass. Several had some issues with brass corroding. Duh you put the cases in in salty water.:upeyes:

7. Meathead9

Meathead9

Aug 23, 2009
    The PRK
    Thanks for all the insight fellers. The only use I have for 40 brass right now is for USPSA 40 Major. Not crazy velocity, but high pressure, so I'm not even considering reloading them anymore. Even if SS/Wet tumbling could clean them up like new, I'd constantly be worrying about them. If they look like they do after 6hrs in walnut, that's a good enough sign for me to scrap them. I'm trying to get my money back, so we'll see how that goes...

8. Bluescot

Bluescot

Apr 11, 2012
    Idaho
    Those cases give me the willies and I personally, would pass on reloading them. If you can send them back, I would.

9. sourdough44

sourdough44

Jul 23, 2007
    WI
    40 s&w brass is almost free. I'd get some different brass.

10. ca survivor

ca survivor

Dec 25, 2011
    Florida
    why risk it or go to the trouble of cleaning for .20 worth off brass ?

11. cowboy85306

cowboy85306

Aug 3, 2012
    I'm with sourdough and ca survivor on this one- brass is cheap, eyes tough to swap out

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  12. sourdough44

sourdough44

Jul 23, 2007
    WI
    All you want is nice & clean brass going into your dies & later your chamber too. So besides any safety concerns, you have abrasion issues.