close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Is there such a thing as hell?

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by frank4570, Jul 28, 2011.

1. frank4570

frank4570

Jun 25, 2004
    This was an idea discussed in another thread, so I gave it it's own thread.

It looks to me like hell was a non-jewish idea that fledgling Christians took from other religions in the very early days of Christianity.

2. There is Hell in the sense of the grave and the fires that destroy everything at the end of the world.

There is not now a fire burning that tortures people. The fire that burns them will be much hotter and completely destroy them according to the Bible.
    Some Christians believe otherwise from some misunderstood Bible texts, but God is fair and just. He is not a monster who enjoys suffering.

Some people do not want to believe the plain texts of the Bible. They must have some agenda or bent to want to believe in a smoldering torture.

Malachi 4: 3 You shall trample the wicked, For they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet On the day that I do this" Says the Lord of hosts.

3. NMG26

NMG26

Jul 24, 2010
    NM

My opinion?

Life in the present is what we are to live for. Not a future heaven or hell.

No one knows if there is anything after this life or not.

If there is something after this life, hell is not probable in any sense of the modern use of it. :fred:

4. I recall an expression I heard during the first Gulf War referring to Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Iraq, etc., "This isn't hell.(But you can see it from here!)"

5. MadMonkey

MadMonkey Spershul Furces

Aug 18, 2010
    TX
    Yes, it exists. I was there yesterday. I also saw the Washington Monument while I was driving through.

6. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Apr 22, 2007
    North Idaho
    Hell is a bad reaction to dinner and no tp in a public restroom.

7. According to the Bible there is an eternal Hell. This has been discussed in the past and usually those using a scripture revert to an obscure old testament verse and try and therefore try to interpret Jesus remarks, and the Apostles to their own obscure understanding. There is eternity in Heaven and eternity in Hell. Actually, a well discussed topic in the New Testament. People are willing to disregard Jesus comments; or those of the Apostles and favor their own rationalizations (or teachings.)

8. Vic777

Vic777

Jan 23, 2006
    I know, there is nothing, now you know.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  9. achysklic

achysklic

Jan 26, 2009
    Well there are 3 different words for "Hell" in the Bible with different meanings. Most protestants only think of hell as a place of torment. This is not the case.

I actually think protestants should be more concerned with heaven,however they are abit confused on this as well since the Bible speaks of atleast 3 heavens.

10. FifthFreedom

FifthFreedom

Jul 6, 2005
    Pa

I think it's in Baltimore. If that isn't Hell, what is?

11. NMG26

NMG26

Jul 24, 2010
    NM
    You sound just like a Christian.

They "know" there is eternal life either in hell or heaven after you die.

I'm for the eternal in the now. That I can know.

12. Brasso

Brasso Millennium Member

Just as the Bible does not say we will spend eternity in heaven, neither does it we'll be tormented for eternity in hell.

Just look at all the false imagery we are fed. We see dead people floating in the clouds like angels, playing harps with halo's.

The Bible is clear that we don't become angels. We don't go anywhere. And we sure as heck don't have Mithra sun disks floating over our heads.

And this is just some of the false ideas we have been giving that aren't taught anywhere in the Bible.

How many paintings of saints does the Catholic Church have of Mary or others with golden orbs around their heads? Pure Mithras crap.

Oh no, there's no paganism in the Church. wink, wink.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  13. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    How can anyone know?

The Bible is a mythological text altered over the years by revisionist doctrine.

No has ever come back from Hell to describe it.

14. frank4570

frank4570

Jun 25, 2004
    No argument. None.

15. The Old and New Testament agree on Hell. There have been and continue to be these interpretations that make Hell a place where people will be tortured unendingly if they don't toe the line. God is not like that. God is fair and just. God is loving and kind. God is willing to forgive. These things do not square with eternal torture.

There are plenty of texts in the New Testament in Jesus words to support my understanding.

Luke 12:47-48 And that servant who knew his master's will, and did not prepare himself or do according to his will shall be beaten with many stripes. But he who did not know, yet commited things deserving of strip[es, shall be beaten with few. For everyone to whom much is given, from him much will be required; and to whom much has been committed, of him they ill ask the more.

Matthew 10:28 "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Revelation 20:9 They went up on the breadth of the earth and surrounded the camp of the saints and the beloved city. And fire came down from God out of heaven and devoured them.

There is a lot made of the words forever and eternal as far as Hell goes. These words were translated from the original that did not necessarily mean unending amounts of time. A match burns until it burns out. This can be the meaning of forever in the original languages. An example might be Sodom and Gomorrah. They burned and the fire is now out. The Bible sts them forth as the example of vengeance from eternal fire.

Jude verse 7 As Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities around them in a similar manner to these, having given themselves over to sexual immorality and gone after strange flesh, are set forth as an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

16. FifthFreedom

FifthFreedom

Jul 6, 2005
    Pa

The Eternal is that It came from G-d.
    There is no "Hell" in the Tanach. Another example of xtians not knowing what they are reading