Is there any evidence that would end your faith?

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by robbcayman, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Just curious what that evidence would look like/be.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 robbcayman, Jul 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  2. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall HildabeastHater

Define faith.

3. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member
    CLM

There is no evidence that would end my faith.

4. Certainly none to give any..

5. When it comes to God, evidence is irrelevant.

There is no evidence by design because God wants us to believe in him based on faith, not proof.

If that evidence did exist, it wouldn't change anyone's mind.
    The believers would still believe and the non believers would still make excuses and find fault with it.

#5 JBnTX, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  6. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Not Enough Gun

What about the Babel fish?

7. For me, my 35 years of faith ended when I actually sat and read the bible.

8. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot
    CLM

Same here, the omnipotent and petulant child/god portrayed in the bible was enough evidence for me. My only regret is that I waited so long before seriously studying it. So much time wasted on nonsense.

#8 Geko45, Jul 9, 2013
  9. “If someone doesn’t value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide that proves they should value evidence.
    If someone doesn’t value logic, what logical argument would you invoke to prove they should value logic?”
    ― Sam Harris

#9 lomfs24, Jul 9, 2013
  10. Ditto!

11. cysoto

cysoto Gone Shooting!

Blind faith knows no boundaries.

12. I don't ever browse this forum but, I do notice a thread title now and then in the latest posts section of GT and occasionally I'll open a thread. So, I dont know the OP but I'll make the assumption he asked because he was genuinely curious. The context of my response is this: I am a born again Christian, fallen but forgiven. I believe in the literal 6 days of Creation in the last ~10,000yrs. I came to a point in my life as a Christian where I was challenged in my beliefs and had to exam the reasons why I believed in God/Jesus. Thats the great thing about all the athiests in the Religious Forum and walking about these days, they'll challenge you to support your beliefs so you had better know why you believe in God. What I found in my search was mountains of evidence to believe in God, The Bible, Creation, The Fall and Redemption. But since the competing world view of Naturalism has another way of interpreting or explaining this evidence, the anchor point of my faith came down to the bodily resurrection of Jesus. I would consider my Faith in God to be null and void if one could produce the physical body of Jesus. If there is no Resurrection then there is no redemption; And God is a liar, the Bible is false and Jesus was just a man and my faith is false. I know, its been roughly 1980yrs since He was crucified and buried. So all we have are the witnesses in Jerusalem and the records they left us. It is undoubtedly a fact that Jesus lived. It is undoubtedly a fact almost 2000yrs later that he has certainly died. Show me his body and I'll confess that Animal Mother is right. But there is an empty tomb in Jerusalem. And the very place Christianity should have died, is where it began.

13. By that logic Jimmy Hoffa is a god.

14. OfficerChris

OfficerChris L.A. fanboy

creationism lol... "you haven't been there"

Nothing bad about being a Christian.. having picked one god out of thousands in mankind history

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

15. I'll add my 2 cents to that. Contemporary documentation that refutes the claims of the gospels would be strong evidence that Jesus wasn't the promised messiah. If Christians were such a thorn in the side of the leaders of the time (as noted by historians), it would seem logical that they would have waged a PR campaign to discredit their beliefs.
    Of course, this would only disprove the Christian faith, not the Jewish.
    The empty tomb is certainly compelling.

Sent from my DROID2 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

16. ChuteTheMall

If someone lacks faith, how can he experience it?
    Certainly not through evidence or logic.

"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." - Heb 11:1, NIV

17. I've always been curious. What would you do if the chance for salvation was lost? This is just a hypothetical so play along. Jesus comes back. Trumpets sound, the mountains shake, Angels singing, all that good stuff. And he says he has come back for his children and that now is the time to go to his kingdom. But some dude walks up and shoots him in the head. Now, he's Jesus so all this did was really just kill his fleshly form. But because this shows him we're just violent and lost and not worth his effort... he, the angels, god and everyone packs up and says "You're on your own... we're not coming back. What you got here is all you're ever gonna get."

How would you and the way you live your life change?

18. ChuteTheMall

How many witnesses watched Hoffa die and be sealed in a guarded tomb?

How's that logic working out for you?:eek:kie:

19. ChuteTheMall

No changes, his children would still go with him, but the dude that shot him is more likely to face judgement.

Separate the sheep from the goats, the wheat from the chaff, the believers from the nonbelievers.

Better to accept forgiveness now than to try to make excuses later.

20. You missed the point. I'm saying he packs up and leaves everyone. I know your mythology says this won't happen... I get that. I'm just asking in this hypothetical what if he left... never to return?