close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is there a way to tell if a DVD or CD has been "ripped"?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by poodleshooter1, Dec 28, 2006.

1. poodleshooter1

poodleshooter1
    Expand Collapse

I am assuming that with all the technology out there these days, there has to be some way for companies to tell if a DVD or CD has been ripped for copying.

My friends are amazed at the number of CD's and DVD's that have no protection whatsoever. I keep telling them that it is too easy that there has to be something that shows that the item has been ripped.

Is there? What is it/are they called?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. BilltheCat

BilltheCat
    Expand Collapse
    Quieter Cat
    Millennium Member

nothing I know of. it either doesnt allow copy or it does. Some programs will even defeat the ones that dont want to allow it.

3. poodleshooter1

poodleshooter1
    Expand Collapse

67,000+ members, only one reply...:upeyes:

4. HAVOC

HAVOC
    Expand Collapse
    Remember
    Millennium Member CLM

If you mean some evidence left on the original CD or DVD, no, there's nothing, ripping is just the drive just reading the disc. There's just no possible way to know if it's being played normally, copied to another disc or pulled into a binary file on a hard drive.

Some discs have imbedded information that can identify what original a copy or .iso came from, and some have intentional errors that can confuse regular copying and ripping software, but most of the better applications just ignore that stuff.

5. rhikdavis

rhikdavis
    Expand Collapse
    U.S. Veteran

It was a quality reply tho.

6. Guod

Guod
    Expand Collapse

I don't really understand what you or your friends are getting at. DVD's do have protection...it's an encryption scheme called CSS. DVD "rippers" use a decryption scheme known as deCSS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decss

As far as CD's, originally they had no copy protection because there was no need for it when it was created. More recently, copy protection has been added to CD's, but they are then no longer TECHNICALLY Compact Discs.

Moving back to DVD's, sure it may seem "too easy" to YOU and your friends, but that is because you didn't do the work to reverse engineer the technology. It's easy now because software is widely available that uses decss, and does everything in a simple process that even a technophobe can handle.

Additionally, AACSS, the "next gen" copy protection used on HDDVD and BluRay has been cracked. There is some debate on whether the current crack will work for multiple titles / long term, but it's only a matter of time until HDDVD and BluRay are as easily copied as DVD.

All of these copy schemes are created by humans, and therefore are never impossible to break.

What people fail to remember is that sure, there are smart people creating these systems, but there are countless more people that are as smart or smarter working to reverse engineer the technology.

This stuff often seems very mysterious and complex to joe consumer, but to those of an engineering backround, or just tinkerers with a good head on their shoulders, it's just a matter of time and effort.

7. Cassius

Cassius
    Expand Collapse

I think nobody answered you because your question is confusing...

You say "to show that they have been ripped"...

Do you mean to show on the ORIGINAL cds that they have been ripped? Or do you mean something on the duplicates to show that they came from a ripped CD and that it is not an original CD?

When you rip a CD the original CD does not change because CDs are read-only. There is nothing that changes about the original CD.

The duplicate CD, ideally, is an EXACT duplicate of the original CD, and so it also shows no sign of being "ripped" in any way (although I don't know what that would look like). This is called a byte-to-byte copy, and most of the fancier CD burning programs will have no problems defeating any copy protection and doing a direct copy.

8. NetNinja

NetNinja
    Expand Collapse
    Always Faithful

I think the question is posed in such a way that it is being asked if copying CD's and DVD's can be traced back to the source.

Is there a way to make copies of CD's and DVD's and never get caught?
    Yes

Until one day you are pulled over for a broken tail light and the officer smells fear or your voice is stressed enough that he gets suspicious and asks to look in the trunk of your car.

"Woa! Officer those 5000 unmarked DVD's of Debbie does DVD's aren't mine".

:cop: