close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Is the Ruger Mini 14 an assault riffle?

Discussion in 'Ruger Club' started by 68DARKHORSE, Feb 12, 2012.

1. 68DARKHORSE

68DARKHORSE

Aug 21, 2011
    TX
  2. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Jul 13, 2003
    Canada
    If You are planning on assulting the stronghold occupied by the coyotes or foxes than yes, absolutely.

3. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Considering the Mini is not fully automatic - no, it's not.

4. Kaybe

Kaybe

Sep 30, 2009
    Since "assault" is an act, not an object, the answer is no. The A-Team sure liked to use them, though they couldn't hit very well with them.

5. Reswob

Reswob

Mar 8, 2009
    VA
    Not in less it's select-fire... and then it would be an AC-556...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

6. GSSF17

GSSF17 ...2 of 'em

Jan 25, 2009
    Central FL
    Any weapon displayed in a manner where harm inflicted by its custodian is imminent and/or a reasonable person would feel threatened, is an assault weapon.

7. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy

It isn't an assuly rifle, but it CAN be used as such, as can a Ruger 10/22

8. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    Beaumont,Texas
    No, it is not a assault riffle..... :tongueout:

9. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    What the hell is with so many people typing "riffle" lately?

10. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    Beaumont,Texas
    It was the first thing I noticed, in the title of the thread......

:rofl:

11. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    I glanced over it so fast I didn't catch it. That's at least the 3rd or 4th thread lately where it's been mis-spelled "riffle."

12. Magelk

Magelk

Jul 17, 2011

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

13. 68DARKHORSE

68DARKHORSE

Aug 21, 2011
    TX
    LOL. It was a typo. I did a copy/paste without spell checking.

14. samuse

samuse

Jul 30, 2008
    South TX
    I don't know, but it's freekin' annoying.

I shoot at a little gun range and their sign out front is spelled "Riffle". I really want to rip the sign down and tell him to learn how spell.
    Good thing I don't get very drunk before I go to the range.:rofl:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  15. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

Feb 6, 2000
    Alaska
    Yes and no. The full auto or lack of is not a huge issue. You can usually put more rounds on target in a given amount of time with rapid semi auto fire vs full auto. The mini is a semi auto carbine shooting an intermediate cartridge and they do make a full auto version.

16. 68DARKHORSE

68DARKHORSE

Aug 21, 2011
    TX
    I was just thinking about how Romey wants to impose the same ban that he signed in Mass on a national level. It looks like the Mini 14 can be banned if you put a pistol grip on it.

"Assault rifles vs. "Assault weapons"

The term assault weapon is a United States political and legal term used to describe a variety of semi-automatic firearms that have certain features generally associated with military assault rifles. The 1994 Federal Assault Weapons Ban, which expired on September 13, 2004, codified the definition of an assault weapon. It defined the rifle type of assault weapon as a semiautomatic firearm with the ability to accept a detachable magazine containing more than 10 rounds, and two or more of the following:

Folding or telescoping stock
    Primary pistol grip
    Forward grip
    Threaded barrel (for a muzzle brake or a suppressor, commonly called a silencer)
    Barrel shroud

The assault weapons ban did not restrict weapons capable of fully automatic fire, such as assault rifles and machine guns, which have been continuously and heavily regulated since the National Firearms Act of 1934 was passed. Subsequent laws such as the Gun Control Act of 1968 and the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986 also affected the importation and civilian ownership of fully automatic firearms, the latter fully prohibiting sales of newly manufactured machine guns to non-law enforcement or SOT (special occupational taxpayer) dealers.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  17. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    An assault rifle, by definition, is capable of full auto or burst fire. If it can do neither, it can not be an assault rifle. An "assault weapon" is a term thunk up by the anti-gun crowd to demonize rifles that LOOK like assault rifles by making the uninformed think they are capable of full auto fire.

While I realize Mass. has some pretty ass-backwards gun laws, I have yet to hear anything about Romney wanting to institute them on a federal level. Got anything to back this up?

18. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

Feb 6, 2000
    Alaska
    I know the defination thank you and there is a full auto version of the mini 14. Frankly I don't care to play the word game with anti gunners. There is nothing wrong with assault rifles full auto or not. By shying away from the word your admitting there is something evil about them and there is not.
    Pat

19. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Just call me Technical Thomas. :wavey:

20. ADK_40GLKr

ADK_40GLKr

Nov 14, 2010
    RFD NY Adks
    Thanks, Pat, I agree. But I've been a hunter since the 60's, and still feel most comfortable around what LOOKS like a hunting rifle. (None of those vertical grips [fore or aft] for me. Unfortunately I still have that prejudice.)

That's why I'm liking the looks of the Mini 14.