close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Is the J Frame For Back Up Consittered Old School

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Glocknload 19, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Glocknload 19

Glocknload 19

Jul 8, 2010
    Was consittering the Ruger LCR to my Glock 23 for a back up weapon but really got razzed from some of the guys in my agency. They consittered even the LCR as old school and suggested I choose a compact 9MM. I was told almost no agencys authorize the j frames for back up weapons anywhere in the country and they are outdated. Don't know how accurate this statement is. I feel that it would and always has been an excellent pocket back up. How many of your agencys still have the j frame on the approved list and how many of you do carry them for back up. Im a Bond Enforcement Agent and want to get the best pocket protection possible. Lot of the guys carry the LCP but im just not comfortable carrying a 380 even for back up. All opinions would be apperciated. Need to find something to qualify with soon. Thanks guys.

2. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

Nov 3, 2005
    KY
    I know a lot of local officers carry j-frames as BUGs or off-duty pieces.

3. 3Speedyfish3

3Speedyfish3

Jun 12, 2011
    Florida
    A J-frame back-up rides with me on duty in my ballistic vest. Revolvers have distinct advantages over semi-automatic pistols. Wheelguns go bang when you pull the trigger and go bang again when you pull the trigger. An auto may be out of battery and not fire in close combat. It also may not cycle to give you a second shot if the slide is obstructed or the gun is "limp-wristed."

The downside to the revolver is the limited payload of ammunition and slow reloads, though, as a back-up it is a save your skin last resort.

I have no problem with five rounds of .38 Spl. +P 135 grn. GDHP's and a speedstrip in the right front pants pocket in case of trouble.

Randall

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  4. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Lifetime Member

May 4, 2003
    I know plenty of agencies in AZ authorizing Jframes. Restrictions are generally based on caliber, not action.

I use a Jframe when I need a gun that will roam around from pants pocket to overcoat to car console. It's still a tool with niches. Not a primary gun by any stretch of the imagination, not even the best off-duty weapon. But for a "get the eff offa me" piece, it still has many positives.

5. Arvinator

Arvinator

Jan 16, 2011
    Been wearing a J frame .38 snub for a backup gun since 1990, every day in uniform and when pulled tours for several years as a Detective. Currently I am working patrol, graveyards with a Glock 22 as sidearm, hammerless S&W snubbie on my body armor straps, AND a Ruger LCP .380 in my wallet pocket, a new addition this week replacing the Kel-Tec P-32 I had in there. When I wore BDU's, a second Snubbie rode there. My J frame saved me once in a bad problem, and well worth considering.

6. Denied

Denied NRA Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Ohio
    Old school was a good school, J-frames have been around for a long time have been proven over and over. I have several chief specials and keep one in reach all the time.

7. PattonT

PattonT

May 22, 2010
    South East
    My Dept allows J frames and the only disadvantage I see is carrying more than one caliber of ammo. I don't care so much about it only being 5 rounds as that helps save weight only. Have you thought about a CM40/PM40?
    Actually a 40 pocket gun bites hard and Kahrs aren't always reliable out of the box so it may or may not appeal to you.

8. ArtCrafter

ArtCrafter ¤Hocker Mocker¤

Jul 14, 2008
    In addition to the comments above in support of the J-frame and those that may follow, I believe the title of this book says it 'all.'

The Snubby Revolver The ECQ, Backup, and Concealed Carry Standard
    Revised and Updated Edition (2006) by Ed Lovette

In it, the author makes a strong, thought-provoking case for the snubnose revolver, particularly in the backup role, and under the worst possible conditions (for example, "ECQ," or Extreme Close Quarters).

IMO, it is well worth reading.

HTH :wavey:

9. tc215

tc215

Jun 30, 2010
  10. A few months I asked one of our firearms instructor about this, and his reply was that going back to the .38 would be considered (for our agency) a step backwards. This was in reference to having to provide training, armorer support and ammo for the .38.

I'm sure if large enough numbers of LE agencies began allowing 9mm and .40 revolvers (J-frames/SP101s) as backup guns, companies will build them. I know I'd buy them.

11. kayl

kayl

Nov 14, 2004
    SE WI
    I'd love a 9mm 642! (I know they made the 940, but why not make one now?)

12. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    I want to be clear on something: are you a law enforcement officer or do you work for a bondsman?

13. spyd3r05

spyd3r05

Jul 25, 2008
    GA
    From another thread :
    Or was that Rhetorical? :dunno: :)

14. PattonT

PattonT

May 22, 2010
    South East
    I just realized you are in Florida. Aren't all armed security/Bail Bondsman/private body guards restricted to 9mm or 38spl?

15. PattonT

PattonT

May 22, 2010
    South East
    No, I'm not going to say it, I'll be nice.

16. Glocknload 19

Glocknload 19

Jul 8, 2010
    I do Bond Recovery in Fla. And yes were required to carry 9mm 38 or 380 but in certain situations I am able to carry my G23. I realize I asked this question earlier but I was told to post on this forum to get responses from LE. If I'm not allowed to post on this forum as it is only LE only, I appologize, I wasn't told that. Thanks for all well, most of your replies anyway.

17. It's certainly authorized here, and it's my everyday backup piece. It rides on the vest strap all the time.

18. BlisteringSilence

BlisteringSilence Secret Squirrel

I have a 642. Love it. Carry it almost every time I work. I still haven't figured out where to stick my G30.

19. GumbyDammit

GumbyDammit Xtra CoCheese

We have a couple of guys who carry them. I carry an LCP as a BUG on duty and a lot of the time off duty because it gives me a couple more rounds than my .38 spcl bulldog. Neither make me as comfortable as my G23 with a reload, but that doesn't fit in my cargo pocket nearly as well.

20. PattonT

PattonT

May 22, 2010
    South East
    I know this isn't what you asked but i find the LCR's trigger a lot more pleasureable and it doesn't matter what your "guys in your agency" say. Most of the whacker BEA's I have met would carry dual fullsize 1911's so pick a primary and a backup that make since. If you can can shoot a LCR and you will carry it then thats what matters.