Is the Hornady XTP 9MM 124 gr ammo good to use with the G19 Gen 4

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by AR15moose, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Hello,

I am new to "Glock Talk", I have recently purchased a Glock G19 Gen 4. I found some ammo, Hornady XTP 9MM 124gr, #35571. Would this round be a decent round to use with our G19? We have about 500 rounds. I have a lot to learn, and have been reading a lot on this site. I appreciate your input and help. Would "Walmart" be a good place to try and buy more rounds? What would be your best opinion on a good round of ammo for shooting at our range, and the best for home protection. Thank you for your help!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Hornady factory 10mm ammo split? Caliber Corner Jan 24, 2015
    Mixed Hornady Critical Defense & Duty Ammo General Glocking Jan 20, 2015
    What is the difference between Hornady Z-max and critical defense ammo Caliber Corner Apr 15, 2014
    Glock 42 and Hornady Critical Defense Ammo Issues General Glocking Feb 12, 2014
    Hornady to Suspend Ammo and Bullet Production Reloading Jul 8, 2013

3. The Hornady XTP is a fine load. It should be long on penetration however. When I carried a 9mm I liked the 124 grain Speer Gold Dot +P. 9mm is hard to find right now. When it hits the shelves again just about any name brand ball ammo works good for practice. I liked to run the 124 grain Speer Lawman.

#2 Ak.Hiker, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  4. Thank you Ak.Hiker! what would be a reasonable price to pay for the Speer Gold Dot +P 9mm? Wait, or buy now-seeing costs of $1.00 a round, seems high to me. Sure appreciate your help.

#3 AR15moose, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  5. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

A dollar a round is ridiculous!!!:shocked::shocked:

6. I know it does seem high to me, no one seems to have any 9mm in stock, at least near where I am. I did find some Speer Gold Dot 9mm,luger +P 124 gr, GDHP, #23617, even the bulk seems high 250 rd to a box-.60C/ea in a box. I'm sorry if I'm asking a bad question here in the forum, please tell me if I am, is there a place that you buy ammo that is cheaper, on-line, or do you have some already, being a new owner, this is not something I have, but need too. I appreciate your input.

7. robhic

robhic WOLVERINE!!!!
    Platinum Member Gold Member

The Hornady XTP rounds are, indeed, a good one for SD. Gold Dots are about the best as are Ranger T in HP. I also use the Remington Golden Saber 124gr JHP +P and could get them for about $25 for 50 :)wow:) before ammo got to the point of the Woolly Mammoths!!!

8. Moose, don't use expensive hollow points for range use. Buy the cheapest brass-cased FMJ ammo you can find. Buying expensive, defensive hollow points in the hundreds to waste at the range (other than testing function) is foolish.

9. As someone already mentioned, save your JHP rounds until after you find some FMJ range ammo to break in your new G-19. After that, shoot a couple hundred rounds of your XTPs to guarantee reliability and function.

The XTP round is somewhat underpowered compared to other premium self-defense ammos but since the XTP is also reputed to penetrate very well it seems to be a trade-off. The XTP bullet is also known as a very accurate bullet and in the total scheme of things accuracy is extremely important.

10. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

Moose, you should look for Win or Fed 9mm 115gr JHP +p+ loads. I get over 1400 FPS out of my G17.