close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is the G17 'calibrated' for a certain weight?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by brokenprism, Aug 17, 2012.

Tags:
  1. brokenprism

brokenprism

I'd like to shoot either 124 or 147 in my G17 when I buy it. I'll try different brands to see what the gun likes, but I don't want to waste time finding out that the 124 gr shoots low, or the 147 shoots high, etc. So can someone who's already been down this road help me out? I intend to shoot mostly hardball. If anyone has a defense round recommendation -- especially if it's HST -- say on.

If carrying for SD, do I bother with +P or +P+? I favor heavy bullets and carry 180 HST in my 22. Will 147 gr HST be more or less the platform + ammo equivalent?

Thanks!

2. youngdocglock

youngdocglock

Ive noticed 124 is a bit flatter trajectory. However i have not noticed anything wrong with 147.

Sd i would recommend feds hst....or speer gold dots. Heavier the better.

3. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

Guns can sometimes be like people, finicky in what they like to eat. Standard bullet weights from 115-147 grains should all pretty much shoot to point-of-aim. You may find that your pistol may like all weights/designs/brands, or you may find it shoots one weight better than others.

I suggest for SD ammo, pick what you like and test it thru your specific gun(s) to check for feed and function reliability and accuracy.

4. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

I read somewhere the Beretta's were designed for 124gr, I'm not sure if glocks are, but they all shoot whatever just fine for me.

5. SouthpawG26

SouthpawG26

With recoil spring and slide assemblies being identical across many different models and calibers (a much, much wider variance of characteristics), I doubt that bullet weight within one caliber is anywhere near critical for performance. It's going to boil down to the individual shooters preference.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  6. The Retired Sarge

The Retired Sarge "The Sarge"

brokenprism,

In 40 I carry the 180gr HST and in 9mm the 147gr HST. From what you have said I think you would be pleased with that combination also. Bill

7. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

The G17 was designed to use 124-gr NATO spec ammo, but will handle all 9mm ammo.

8. M 7

M 7

That's going to depend mostly upon how your sights are set up. There are two ways to deal with it:

1. Install adjustable sights
    2. Find a set of fixed sights that are regulated to shoot the ammo you want to point of aim or have them regulated to do so if they don't

Premium ammo- HST, PDX, Gold Dot, etc- they're all fine and will do the job; I go with the heavy-for-caliber JHPs regardless of caliber.

9. brokenprism

brokenprism

This is what I was getting at when I said 'calibrated.' I'm an idiot, wrong word.

But... are you saying that all G17s are not made equally? There is no 'standard' weight in mind at the time of manufacture, like the G22 (I assume) is regulated for 180 gr ammo? And Iw ould know this how -- by the +/- stamp on the sights? There is a key that will tell me what weight it's regulated for?

I don't really plan to use this gun for SD. I like the G22 for that. I want to have a 'hardball' gun, but I want to match ammo weight to it, if one weight is ideal. I may shoot HPs and will go with HST regardless of weight. The good thing about the G17, as far as I'm concerned, is that when the storm comes, there should be plenty of NATO ammo on American streets, and not necessarily ours.

10. M 7

M 7

Nah, you're not an idiot.

The Glock is a pretty ammo tolerant platform- if the ammunition being fired is of a commonly encountered weight for the caliber (115, 124, 135, 147 for the 9mm) and of quality manufacture, I don't see how you'd have any problem. They are all made "equally" in that they all come equipped with a set of sights that is regulated to a certain range of bullet weights/speeds, usually 115-124 grs. @ 1100 +/- 50 fps. Of course, once regulated properly for one shooter, the sights might shoot to a slightly different point of aim for another shooter (due to variances in grip, eyesight, etc.), but the difference is usually slight- esp. at close range. Differences from lot to lot of the same load, can also have an effect, albeit a slight one.

I know that you are trying to avoid it, but it is largely a process of "trial and error" unless of course you go with adjustable sights. With those, you just dial 'em in whenever you need to.

What you are going to have to do is decide what ammo you want to shoot and then see if the fixed sights currently on your gun shoot to the point of aim. If they don't, then you'll have to find ammo that "matches" the sights or change the sights. The Glock fixed sights are marked as you noted above with "+" and "-" signs that are meant to indicate the movement of the point of impact relative to the point of aim, but this means that you are going to have to buy different sets until you "luck into" the ones that match your chosen ammo if you go the route of changing sights instead of changing ammo. At that point you might as well just get adjustable sights and dial them in as needed. I can't imagine that having to remove and replace fixed sights everytime you change ammo as being the most desirable process.

FWIW, I've found that the fixed sights on my G17 and G19 do a good job of putting 115- and 124-gr. ammo close to one another enough not to matter (the difference is neglible especially when compared to my accuracy at range) and the 147s (which I prefer for SD) come in just 3/4 of an inch high at 25m- not enough to matter. Maybe your's will do the same, maybe they won't. Only one way to find out.

:)

11. Deputy

Deputy Millennium Member

Can you tell me where, exactly you got this information? I don't see anything in any of my owner's manuals stating this.