close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Is snake shot safe to shoot in a glock?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by kool aid, Sep 19, 2010.

1. kool aid

kool aid MR.10mm

Apr 7, 2004
    New York
    I carry my .38 snub with snake shot when i go hiking only. I have seen 2 rattlesnakes in the past two weeks and my dog almost got it both times. I would prefer to carry my Glock g-23 Is snake shot safe to shoot? I know the Taurus judge would be best but money is tight cant buy one until next year. Thanks for any help!

also if safe will the shot ammo feed correctly?

2. bobbman

bobbman

Sep 23, 2007
    Don't know about the Glock, but when I use it in mt Ruger Mark II it shoots OK but diesn't cycle.

3. AZBru88

AZBru88

May 21, 2010
    Arizona
    Stay with your 38 snubby. Snake shot doesn't cycle or feed in auto pistols.

4. AZBru88

AZBru88

May 21, 2010
    Arizona
    I might load one in the chamber, but the plastic I don't think will last under recoil well. I've shot a lot of the snake shot in my 44 mag revolvers had the plastic crack from full house loads recoil. So I kept the 44 loaded with snake shot and a speed loader with full house after that. I would hate to have that shot flowing around the inside of my mag and mag well if it broke. But its up to you try it see if it works????? Best of luck, I've never tried it in a auto pistol. Other then a 22 which was old brass crimped bird shot.

5. elde

elde Lifetime Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Tx
    Listen to what Bru said: snake shot does not reliably cycle in automatic pistols. Take that to the bank no matter what the manufacturer says. After 20 years of carrying in snake country I can testify that this is a fact.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  6. MetalSlugIV

MetalSlugIV

Jan 10, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  7. deeHKman

deeHKman "It Is Written"

Aug 13, 2010
    SC
    A few years back i had copperheads around so i put some
    snake-shot in my .45> The second shot i used some how a couple
    shot locked up my .45 ...no more of that in any semi.'s stick with it
    in revolvers...David

8. Mr. Gekko

Mr. Gekko

Aug 27, 2010
    I will only use it in a revolver for the same reasons noted above.

9. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Jul 26, 2002
    We got more rattlers on this ranch than any ranch in our co. Been shootin these buzz tails since I was a tadpole. The CCI shotshells do not work well in semi auto's. Won't hurt the gun at all, but they feed lousy ! The 45acp is close to being not to bad with them, but still NOT good enough IMO. AS some have said, "stick with your 38 amigo." At least you'll keep you hound safe. ;)

If ya just got to carry a semi auto in the woods, then just load up and point and start shootin. I've done this a cajillion times. Dead snake. Great for point and spray, but let me remind you they could cause ya some greif if you are in a place where a richochet could cause ya problems. (like cattle/livestock/folks) anywhere around. Bottline line: The CCI's in your snubbie would be the best bet, and for most folks, the safest.

Good luck.

CM

10. GRR

GRR

Dec 29, 2004
    Bessemer, AL
    I've killed two snakes on my place with CCI shot shells in my G23. Cycled fine. Try a few in your semi auto before you write them off.

11. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Jul 26, 2002
    I agree with ya, except for one thing. They may, maybe, might work great with a mag full (don't think they will though) but since in most all cases they ARE very unreliable and inconsistant in most semi's, testing a few and they seem fine, and then having Mr. buzz tail fixin to strike ya and "Uh oh", they are jamming on me, would not be a good time to learn they usually are very inconsistamt. ! ;)

CM

12. GRR

GRR

Dec 29, 2004
    Bessemer, AL
    Well, I certainly didn't stand there and try to out draw the snakes I got. First thing thing I did was to get the hell away from them. If you're in striking distance with your pistol in your holster and you continue to aggrevate the snake, you're probably bit. Oh, and it didn't take a mag full. One shot each was enough.

13. DPris

DPris

Mar 3, 2006
    Utah
    They do work well in some autos, but I couldn't get them to cycle in my 17.
    Kept busting the shot capsule & dribbling pellets inside the action. Fed singly, they didn't cycle the action.

Worked perfectly in a Smith 4516 & a Ruger P94.

Denis

14. kool aid

kool aid MR.10mm

Apr 7, 2004
    New York
    Thanks for the info! I will be sticking with my .38 until i have some cash to buy a judge.

15. stumpjumper

stumpjumper

Feb 5, 2007
    Georgia
    From my experience, they don't always cycle. I read an article that the 38 and 44 had the best "pattern" and that the manufacture-CCI didn't recommend them in autos.

16. The very ones you linked to will not cycle my G26. Tried at the range and no go. Why get the Judge if you have the .38? You are all set with the .38 shot shells.

17. AZBru88

AZBru88

May 21, 2010
    Arizona
    Heck I'd be hiking with both guns...snubby with snake shot in the front or back pocket and 23 with some good JHP IWB for coyotes...2 or 4 legged! But I live where theres lots of coyotes!

18. DPris

DPris

Mar 3, 2006
    Utah
    Speer makes them in .45 Auto & .40 S&W, besides 9mm, so I'd think they'd intend for them to be used in autos.
    It's just a matter of finding an auto that'll function with them.

My 4516 ran perfectly, the Colt I also tried them in jammed on extraction.
    Ruger P94 ran perfectly, Glock no, as mentioned.

Individual pistol designs (feedramps & recoil spring strengths) create a Yes or No situation.

The S&W .38 snub in the testing I did years ago patterned better than longer barrels.
    The two primary differences you'll see between it & a Judge is the Judge will be much larger & bulkier, and it'll use a bigger shot charge.
    Snakeshot is the only real reason for owning the Judge, in my opinion, and there it shines, but it's huge compared to the .38.

Denis

19. abq87120

abq87120

Nov 2, 2007
    Prescott, AZ
    CCI shot shells shoot and cycle just fine in my G26.

Dan in ABQ