close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Is shooting Reloads in my Glock OK?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Flipz, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Flipz

Flipz

Nov 9, 2009
    Maryland
    So Im thinking of getting into reloading to start saving some money on ammo. Ive heard from some that reloads and Glocks dont mix, while others say its fine. I tend to believe that they are fine in Glocks and I think it all depends on the load. I dont plan on loading hot loads at all, they would be conservative loads right in the middle of the spectrum. I would only be using FMJ or TMJ bullets to reload, no lead whatsoever.

So my question to all of you is:

Is it ok to shoot FMJ reloads with a conservative load out of a Glock?

2. DRAGON1970

DRAGON1970

Dec 10, 2009
    I have a couple Glocks that have never seen a factory round. I continue to load the brass also. Go ahead and reaload....the cost savings will allow you to shoot more.

3. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    Without a doubt. There *can* be issues with shooting lead, but that is fixed by purchasing a LW barrel for $100 that has traditional rifling (or any other choice of aftermarket barrel).

We have a LOT of competitive shooters on here, that shoot Glocks. No way could they afford to be able to shoot the large number of rounds that require without reloading. I've personally loaded 16,000+ rounds just since last July 1st. This allows me to shoot almost DOUBLE the rounds that I would be able to with shooting factory ammo (assuming I could even find it).

I load 9mm Montana Gold 147gr CMJ bullets, and heartily recommend any of their bullets.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  4. AZBru88

AZBru88

May 21, 2010
    Arizona
    Flipz heres where I order my bullets from:
    Montana Gold Bullets

I usually just buy the JHP. Price is about the same.

5. I just reload with plated bullets and not worry about leading up my barrel or buying a $100 replacement. Plated is cheaper then FMJ, and a tad more then lead bullets.

6. youngvr4

youngvr4

Mar 2, 2006
    seattle, wa
    the question is not "is it ok to shoot reloads through my glock" its "are my reloads ok"

7. MonsterB

MonsterB

Dec 18, 2009
    :faint:
    True that!

8. Flipz

Flipz

Nov 9, 2009
    Maryland
    Totally agree and understand.

Thats why I would be loading with very conservative, middle of the spectrum, loads. I wouldnt be loading any hot loads at all.

If the powder I was using called for a minimum load of 4gr's and a maximum loading of 5 gr's I would be loading at 4.5gr's. I would just keep the loads average, nothing hot and nothing light, just right in the middle.

Ive heard great things about the Montana Gold's. What do you think of the Rainier 124gr TCJ "leadfree" bullets?

By the way, I think Id be going with a basic Dillon 550B setup. And Id probably use either Bullseye or Unique powder. The cases I would get from the range. Theres always a steady supply of free brass there.

Im still doing a lot of research/learning but Im definitely thinking/wanting to begin reloading.

9. AZBru88

AZBru88

May 21, 2010
    Arizona
    Flipz I have two 550 one for small and one for large primers. One 450 Dillon for my 300 Win Mag (old solid frame model), and one sq. deal b model for doing 38 spec. Wasn't worth selling. I use a ton of range brass.
    Never used Rainiers bullets.
    Powders I use a lot of Unique and Bluedot, for pistols. Its just what I use. Unique can be a dirty powder.
    Sounds like your off to a great start. Best of luck...Bru

10. YES you can!

11. Flipz

Flipz

Nov 9, 2009
    Maryland
    Thanks!

I was looking at the link for the Montana Gold Bullets and I may use them instead. It looks like it would be cheaper ordering them in bulk than the Rainier's.

For right now I would just be reloading 9mm but would end up also reloading .40 S&W and .45acp at some point. Thats my main reason for going with the 550B instead of Dillon's Square B Deal. It would just be easier to change Tool Heads that were already set up for each caliber with its own powder measure. I know I would also need the caliber conversion kits for each new caliber also.

Just doing the math it looks like I would save about $2.50 for every 50 9mm bullets reloaded vs. buying them at Wally World. Its not much but it would add up overtime and would pay off the initial startup costs. After that its all savings that can be used to buy more Tool Heads and Dies for other calibers.

I go to the range every weekend so hopefully the savings would add up fast. But Im happy to start with just one caliber. It would allow me time to really learn and become more comfortable with reloading.

12. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    You can save more than that, but you have to buy your components in bulk.

I order 10,000 primers at a time, from Powder Valley. They will be listed as backordered, but order anyway. Buy what you need locally or wherever until they come in.

Once you find a powder you *like* (don't do this until you've experimented), buy powder in 8 lb jugs from Powder Valley.

I buy a case of bullets (3000 147grainers) at a time.

By doing this, I can reload 1000 bullets for $138. It'll cost closer to $250 to buy 1000 from Wally World. And that's with me buying the more expensive 147gr bullet. Buy some 115 or 124 grainers, and it'll be cheaper still.

I just got into reloading last year because of cost/availability. If you buy in bulk, you can save a LOT! Plus have ammo anytime you want it, and it's better as well.

Check out our reloading forum for info or questions you might have.... lots of knowledgeable guys there.

13. Flipz

Flipz

Nov 9, 2009
    Maryland
    I sure will. I only posted this thread here because I specifically wanted the opinion of Glock owners that reload. But I plan to take my question on over to the Reloading Forum.

By the way, do you have a link to Powder Valley that you could share? Id appreciate it.
    Thanks!

*EDIT*
    Nevermind I found the website.
    Thanks again!

14. AZBru88

AZBru88

May 21, 2010
    Arizona
    Reloading and guns will never save you money! It will allow you to shoot more and enjoy your handheld investments!:rofl:There's always some thing to add to the collection, reloading bench, ect..... Its a addiction! But a fun one! Enjoy!....Bru

15. Flipz

Flipz

Nov 9, 2009
    Maryland
    So true! I was trying to live blissfully in denial. :supergrin:

16. AZBru88

AZBru88

May 21, 2010
    Arizona
    Been there, done that!:laughabove::rofl:

17. tpaw

tpaw

Jan 22, 2009
    Just be sure your reloads are according to specks. Most Ka Booms I heard of were with reloads.

18. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

Dec 17, 1998
    Minnesota
    Exactly.

Shooting reloads won't void your warranty, but damage caused by shooting reloads will not be repaired under warranty.

If the loading manual calls for 4 to 5 grains, start with 4 grains....that's why they call it a 'starting' load, then work up to 4.5 grains.....and get more than one manual.

If you only plan to load pistol ammo, I'd suggest the Dillon Square Deal press.

I've been reloading for nearly four decades...... :wow:

19. NoComp

NoComp The Shootist

Feb 20, 2005
    Texas
    Absolutely, as long as they are FMJ - copper jacketed.

20. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Jan 25, 2008
    Clarksville, Tn.
    I reload 40 S&W only and the only guns in 40 I have are Glocks. I reload for them and some loads are pretty warm. I reload plated, lead and jacketed bullets
    I have not had a problem with my reloads but have had a couple with cheaper factory loads.
    Try it and see how it works out, it may surprise you.
    Good luck and be safe.