close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is running plates lawful?

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by glockbanger, Oct 25, 2012.

1. glockbanger

glockbanger
    Expand Collapse

Is the information obtained by running plates "always" considered public information? What information is typically displayed? Since everyone must drive and be subject to possibly having their plates ran, it seems that it could be considered an invasion of one's privacy. Have there been cases where it has been ruled this way?

A few other questions of mine:

1)How difficult is it to put a "flag" on your plate so that it cannot be ran by civilians? Is there a fee?

2)Is there anything that you can legally put over your plate to protect it from being scanned by plate readers? Or simply to obscure it from view?

3)For a civilian running a plate.. how much are fees and do you contact the DMV or county clerks? How lengthy are the forms and what reasons do you typically need to run a plate?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. wprebeck

wprebeck
    Expand Collapse
    Got quacks?

You might try asking in Coptalk....where people who actually do this stuff for a living hang out.

My answers -

To the best of my knowledge, civilians can't access that info in Kentucky (my state).

Obscuring your license plate is illegal here.

See my first.

3. JBnTX

JBnTX
    Expand Collapse
    Texas

How would a civilian run a license plate?

4. holesinpaper

holesinpaper
    Expand Collapse

An attorney can. A licensed private investigator can too. Of course both are required to have a qualifying reason to do so... just like LEO.

5. TBO

TBO
    Expand Collapse
    Why so serious?
    CLM
    1. The Outpost Lounge

[​IMG]

6. wprebeck

wprebeck
    Expand Collapse
    Got quacks?

Well then, why does my sister call me to check a tag? She's a lawyer.

Again, to the best of my knowledge, KYOPS access is limited to LE. And, as long as I'm checking a tag for official business, I can run whatever I want, whenever I want. If its for personal, then I'm in trouble. And yes, randomly running tags on the MDT whilst driving down the street is legal.

7. Bren

Bren
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

In fact, we have equipment in some agencies to do it automatically as the car drives by parked cars.

8. Smoker

Smoker
    Expand Collapse

A little paranoid???

9. PawDog

PawDog
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

A paid subscription to PublicData.com will give you the ability to "run" plates for many states, but not all.

10. Chuck TX

Chuck TX
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

How many warrants do you have?:rofl:

11. Bren

Bren
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

If I was willing to pay extra, or had the law student version of Westlaw, I could run just about anything. I don't recall plates, specifically, but using very famous celebrities as examples in class we could could look up all of the property they own, businesses they are involved with, cars they own, VIN numbers, home addresses, credit reports, and all personal ID information. It took seconds.

12. PawDog

PawDog
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

I have accounts with both Public Data and LexisNexis, and access to varied government databases, and most folks would be shocked about how much information can be obtained with just a few key strokes.

13. nursetim

nursetim
    Expand Collapse

I found public data, but lexisnexis shows law books and the like.

14. Bren

Bren
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

I haven't used lexis much, but I'm pretty sure that, like Westlaw, it have databases that give access to nearly any public record. That means:
    credit reports (LOTS of information)
    court records
    newspapers and magazines
    deeds, mortgages, chattel mortgages (i.e., car loans), liens, etc.
    state business records (incorporation, annual reports, various disclosures)
    political donations

Think about all the info you give when you fill out the paperwork for those various things.

then again, you can get all of that either online or in person, it just takes longer. A while back some people here were concerned about a fired former employee having their home addresses - to show how little it mattered I was able to look up their home addresses, names of family members, political contributions, tax records, etc. on the internet in a few minutes and even look at pictures of their houses.

#14 Bren, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  15. fespo276

fespo276
    Expand Collapse

Many, many courts have held that police may run license plate checks with no individualized suspicion. There is no 4th Amendment reasonable expectation of privacy in a publicly displayed, state owned, license plate.

16. 427

Expand Collapse

Start an LLC. Title, register and insure the vehicle through it. The business name shows up and nothing else.

#16 427, Oct 25, 2012
  17. glockeglock

glockeglock
    Expand Collapse

In Washington, a public records request and a small fee gets anyone at all the registered owner's name and address, the legal owner's name and address, the VIN, the last date and cost of title transfer. You can request the entire WA vehicle ownership history and get the names and addresses of everyone who has ever owned the car while titled in Washington. Be nice to everyone.

18. holesinpaper

holesinpaper
    Expand Collapse

Timely:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/26/n...-plot-to-kidnap-women-and-cook-them.html?_r=0
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-failed-plot-kidnap-women-cook-eat-them.html

Where there is a database, there IS abuse of said database by those with access.

19. holesinpaper

holesinpaper
    Expand Collapse

Well, except for the special protected class of alleged victims of domestic violence.

State allows and helps pay for a scheme that allows them to register vehicles and get drivers licenses using non-physical addresses.

#19 holesinpaper, Oct 25, 2012
  20. boomhower

boomhower
    Expand Collapse

Maybe in your state but its fine in mine. Courts here ruled the plate is displayed in public so there is no expectation of privacy.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk