close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Is Present Day USA the most corrupt Nation in History?

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by Vic777, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Vic777

Vic777

Jan 23, 2006
    On a dollar value per Citizen, from local Town Councillors and Mayors to Congressmen and the President, Is Present day America the most corrupt Society in Human History? Are there more dollars stolen by corrupt Politicians per citizen in America than anywhere else on the Planet?

2. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

May 4, 2003
    Not even close. Neither on a historical basis, nor considering how business is done elsewhere in the world right now.

3. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

You wouldn't be asking this question if you had ever spent much time in third world countries.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

4. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Jan 26, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  5. JBnTX

JBnTX Bible Thumper

Aug 28, 2008
    Fort Worth Texas

Have you been hanging out with the Blame America First crowd again?:faint:

I think about half of the posters on this forum are charter members.

6. G33

G33 Frisky! Millennium Member CLM

May 29, 1999
    With G29
  7. Vic777

Vic777

Jan 23, 2006
    And you don't need to "know" an official in the USA to get a contract? I'm talking amount of corruption per citizen. Sure they steal in the Third World, but there's not that much to steal. In the USA the dollar amount of the fraud and corruption is way more than China. Take for example the "stimulus", how much of that went to fraudulent Democratic schemes?

8. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Jan 26, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    You should redirect your energy to getting Dianne Feinstein put in jail for all the illegal activiy she took part in when she was on the House Appropriations Committee and insured that her husband's company got plenty of lucrative contracts.

9. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    Re: corruption in the U.S. Someone needs to do their homework. The U.S. norm is overseas virtually an impossible dream.

10. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Jan 25, 2008
    Clarksville, Tn.
  11. barbedwiresmile

barbedwiresmile Unreconstructed

Feb 3, 2008
    Dixie
    If I understand how the OP has phrased the question, the answer is: per dollar gross, yes. Per dollar net, not even close. However, that is a general answer. In terms of how government funds are allocated, probably yes both gross and net on a macro level. There is very minimal corruption on the micro level, however, in relation to second- and third-world countries.

12. Chronos

Chronos

Nov 26, 2007
    I was about to point this out, but BWS is ahead of the game.

Corrupt power in the US controls more total dollars than anywhere (China is probably close to overtaking this spot), and on a per-citizen basis it's debatable, and depends on how you slice it, though the US must be near the top. Here are a few examples of contenders on the per-citizen basis:

Qatar is #1 in per capita income (US is #7), and according to the Heritage foundation their gov't is slightly more corrupt than the US. However, they have zero income tax on individuals and wholly Qatari-owned businesses, and government spending as a fraction of GDP is substantially less compared to the US.

Norway is #4 in per capita income, and the Heritage foundations rates their government as substantially less corrupt than the US. However, they tax the living crap out of both individuals and businesses, and the government spends about the same fraction of GDP compared with the US.

So, viewed as an overall tax-farm, the US government looks by far the most successful money-extraction system for the farmers, and on a money-extraction per citizen basis, they are also amongst the top. On a "brutality per citizen" basis, they are nowhere near the top -- "free range" livestock are much more productive, when it comes to farming humans.

Sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

http://www.heritage.org/index/Ranking

13. Feanor

Feanor

Feb 28, 2010
    Oh? What other historical nation exists/existed that exceeds the fifty to seventy billion dollars in narcotics that flows virtually unchecked across that Mexican border every single year? The Chinese, Russians, North Koreans, and all of Africa combined, are pikers when it comes to genuine political corruption, seventy billion dollars yearly in liquid cash, one border, one scam! :whistling:

14. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

Sep 11, 2005
    Four Corners
    Tell ya what. Pack up your things and get ready to move. I'll buy you a one way ticket to any other country in the world.

15. juggy4711

juggy4711 Nimrod Son

Sep 20, 2006
    Galveston County, TX
    I completely missed that part of the question. Between you and Chronos I am humbled by y'all's level of political savy.

16. Chronos

Chronos

Nov 26, 2007
    Already been there and done that (thanks for the offer, though), including countries higher on the Heritage foundation's economic freedom index than the US. It was far less the paranoid police state -- it was easy to go a week without ever seeing police officers in one of the largest cities in the country, and the amount of implicit trust when you travel there reminded me of the US, circa 1990. I came back to "anytown USA" where the most expensive new building project in town is the new police station.

The one thing the US has, which is invaluable, is a relatively large fraction of people (maybe 5% and growing) who are philosophically enlightened on the whole "goverment = force" thing, and not afraid to talk about it.

I recommend you take advantage of your own ticket, before throwing it to the crowd.

17. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

Sep 11, 2005
    Four Corners

I've been to 5 continents, thanks. There's a whole lot more to it than the Heritage Foundation's assessment. My American perspective is decidedly rural. I don't and I wouldn't live in any major city. Here or elsewhere.

18. Chronos

Chronos

Nov 26, 2007
    I'm guessing you lived on a military base? A United States military base?

19. RDW

RDW BTDT

Mar 12, 2003
    PRK
    That's just a Stupid Question - NO!