Glock Talk banner

Is Practical Shooting Really Practical?

4K views 77 replies 40 participants last post by  Allegra 
#1 ·
Guys and Gals:

To those who compete, why do you participate in IPSC or IDPA matches?

To all those who do not compete, why not? Does it really ingrain bad habits?

How do you practice your gun handling and marksmanship skills? How do you simulate the pounding of the adrenalin rush?

Is practical or combat shooting really practical? Your views on this controversial topic please.

:cool:

#52 ·
Seriously guys. MY reason of owning guns and learning to shoot in IPSC or just simply shooting at the range are the same reason you guys have:
1. Defense 2. a tool for stress management 3. you got extra money to burn spending it to buy bullets is much better than spending it on drugs.

now that we've all praised ipsc , babaliktad naman ako :)
being a good ipsc shooter gives one a false sense of security
Fancy shooting will do you no good if you get shot from behind or if the BG closes in and breaks your elbow
Kaya mag drugs nalang tayo :) I'm addicted to hydroxycut

#53 ·
Originally posted by Allegra
Seriously guys. MY reason of owning guns and learning to shoot in IPSC or just simply shooting at the range are the same reason you guys have:
1. Defense 2. a tool for stress management 3. you got extra money to burn spending it to buy bullets is much better than spending it on drugs.
amen master LL.. :) :) .. pero now mas gusto ko ilagay sa bula ng beer pera ko.. hehehehe;c ;c

#54 ·
Originally posted by Saruman
amen master LL.. :) :) .. pero now mas gusto ko ilagay sa bula ng beer pera ko.. hehehehe;c ;c
ooops, i didnt post that :)

#56 ·
Originally posted by mc_oliver
Uy, sasali ka ba sa Mr. Olympia Master A? ;);f
umm....hindi, anorexic kasi ako hehe

#60 ·
IPSC= nakakatulong ng malaki upang mabuild ang confidence,skills,
=a good place to test if your guts & guns works:thumbsup:

IDPA= a good place to exercise other than what you learn in IPSC

wargames (paintball or airsoft)= a good place to exercise other things na hindi mo nagagawa sa IPSC at IDPA (cover & concealment/shooting while moving, enemies who shoot back & running)

.......in other words, lahat yan ay fun & expensive at kailangan mong humanap ng alibi kay kumander-in-chief:tongueout:

#61 ·
At least in IDPA, emphasis is needed in using cover in its course, but there are moves here that you would still not do in real life. Rules are somewhat strict in how you engage a stage. IPSC it lets you think out of the box how to engage targets quicker. Efficiency of your action to get it done in less time.

Wargames is only good for CQB trainings since your targets shoot back. Limited distance. Maganda sana if there is an all pistol game lang. wargames normally kasi ratratan, full auto machine pistols, m4's, which is not practical for real life situation. You dont carry an mp5 on your hip do you?

#63 ·
Originally posted by Eye Cutter
bump up ko lang for our new members :bump:

Thanks for bringing this thread back to life doc ec. I've been thinking of the same thing for a while now. I'm actually thinking of joining my friends in their airsoft games to complement my training. IPSC for actual gun familiarity/handling skills and airsoft so that one can practise with targets who are capable of shooting back with the ability to outwit you. Pain of an airsoft pellet to emphasize fact that someone's strategy was better than yours.:supergrin:

#66 ·
Ever since I was a kid, I love guns....toy guns, air guns, airsoft, paintball, etc. I like the feeling of hitting a target yards away. I guess you can compare it to hitting the sweet spot of your golf club, making a basket in basketball, hitting a winning smash in badminton.
I compete in IPSC because I love to compete. It makes me feel good if I do well in a match. Tapos I make a lot of friends din, so what else can be better!
:supergrin:

#67 ·
Originally posted by Eye Cutter
during the recent Eastern Police District Cup held at Armscor, it was an eye opener to see how our men in blue perform in their gun handling and marksmanship skills! wala ba silang yearly qualification and proficiency tests?
nag train last month ang LAGPSG(lito,tito louie, larry,etc) ng men in blue ng muntinlupa, yes it was an eye opener indeed. last week,i bought some friends with me sa range, they were avid airsoft fans, hirap sila sa popper kahit, 15m lang, i told them, you wont learn real marksmanship with toys, you'll learn it with real guns....sabi ko di pa nga kayo gumagalaw nyan...then we played airsoft at home.....ayun...ako ginawang toy.

#68 ·
I once tried a Level 1 (checking it out lang 'ba), before even
posting to BoG way back, and have also watched a ton of borrowed
IPSC match/tech videos.

My conclusion is that beyond a definite initial value in honing
certain motor skillsets, long-term IPSC can be detrimental to
SD shooting capability. It's a mindset thing: all the difference
between training to eat fast and learning to cook with creativity.
JMO lang naman. I'd rather not go on and on about it.
Mahirap na, at baka merong mga pikon, hehehe.

Doc Alvin and others mentioned long ago that handling the
adrenal stress of a comp/match is good prep for a real-world
shoot, and that makes a healthy amount of sense.

How do I train?
90% of it has nothing to do with guns. Maybe even 95%
The remainder is just repetitive shooting exercises from variations
of (at present)18 different positions, weakhand and stronghand,
drawing from IWB or ankle. It is very tiring going through all of
them, and my condition (MVP) doesn't really allow for a lot of that.

Peace
:)

#71 ·
I occassionally shoot sa mga level-1 IPSC pistol matches in standard (single-stack) division and production division pati IDPA pistol matches in CDP and SSP, lately I'm trying airsoft wargames. The reason I join these gun related activities is to enjoy firing my guns, hone my shooting and survival skills as well as being in the company of gun enthusiasts. :)

#72 ·
doc e.c.

ganda nitong thread mu .

well i agree IPSC & IDPA is not really as practical as we heard. +1

but remember when wer on college ???? 4 years of training and academe pero ilang % ba nun ang ginagamit ntn sa job ntn ngaun ???? 20 % 40 % the most cguro.

ganun din sa IPSC and IDPA diba.

pero mas malinaw sa sport ntn and nkukuha ntn

1. safety safety safety

2. accuracy

3. discipline

4. confidence

5. a lot of friends (good friends) that will help you anything about guns..........

like here in BoGs dami good members whos always in the mood to help new shooters like us diba

cheeeeeeeers

more power to all responsible gun owners/ shooters

#74 ·
Hah! IPSC kicks butt!
Ask anyone sa IPSC na napalaban na

#75 ·
for me, any range time with my weapon is time well spent. :supergrin:

ipsc and idpa are just like icing on the cake. obviously, the ipsc and even idpa matches are no way near the real thing. but from a practical point of view, it is the closest one can get to simulating real world experiences. and at the very least it trains the shooter how to think. with more practice, teh shooter gets comfortable and quite proficient with his weapon in most if not all aspects of gun handling.

i do believe the competitive shooter would definitely have an edge in a real world SHTF scenario.

Originally posted by jimbullet
Wargames is only good for CQB trainings since your targets shoot back. Limited distance. Maganda sana if there is an all pistol game lang. wargames normally kasi ratratan, full auto machine pistols, m4's, which is not practical for real life situation. You dont carry an mp5 on your hip do you?
:supergrin:

heavy and i play airsoft too (adik talaga sa baril). although my airsoft gun is an M4, i make it a point to get as close to the opfor as i can in every game so i can waste them with my pistol. :supergrin:

we have tried playing all pistol games, but they inevitably turn into "run-and-gun" type games because the players feel like if they run real fast, they won;t get hit. :sad:

besides, its way more satisfying in airsoft to waste bad guys who are carrying long and powerful guns with just a pistol!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.