Glock Talk banner

Is Practical Shooting Really Practical?

4K views 77 replies 40 participants last post by  Allegra 
#1 ·
Guys and Gals:

To those who compete, why do you participate in IPSC or IDPA matches?

To all those who do not compete, why not? Does it really ingrain bad habits?

How do you practice your gun handling and marksmanship skills? How do you simulate the pounding of the adrenalin rush?

Is practical or combat shooting really practical? Your views on this controversial topic please.

:cool:

#27 ·
Originally posted by doctabako
There's another thread here in GT related to this topic which is now 55 pages long with more than 1,200 replies entitled A good competitor does not a gunfighter make and the replies range from amiable to hostile indicating the controversy and passion that this topic entails to some people.

My take on this is that engaging in gun games IS trigger time(Fun time, the best kind ;f) and as they say practice makes perfect. If you're methodical enough in your approach,huge rewards can be gleaned from diligent practice as opposed to those who compete just to throw slugs downrange without regard to improving how they do it.
A good competitor should be under no illusion that what he is doing will automatically make him a better gun fighter when the SHTF as various things do come to play and some people aren't wired for fighting(some become passive and/or take flight). Engaging in gun games will make you better prepared as you become proficient with the use of your weapon and conversely your limitations with it as well. All of which will serve you in good stead when you develop the mindset and summon enough courage to use it when necessary. :)
That's according to the tactical Ninjas.

#29 ·
why do we own guns? the final answer almost always boils down to a defensive reasoning for having one.

how you master your chosen tool, to each his own way. the bottom line is, you should be able to use it on demand without second thoughts or apprehension...

:cool:

#30 ·
I dread the day that I have to use my gun. But if ever that time comes I hope that I can incorporate all the skills that I learned. So guys, pakituruan po ako :)

Any one who bought a gun and thinks that all there is to it is pulling the trigger will be in a big surprise when it's time to do so.

So mga parekoy practice lang ;)

#31 ·
I dread the day that I have to use my gun. But if ever that time comes I hope that I can incorporate all the skills that I learned. So guys, pakituruan po ako
I share the same sentiments as canayr... I dread the day that I have to use it, but that it the reason why I bought it - to protect my family.

I'm learing a lot from this (and other) forums, I was at Northstar yesterday and still have those nasty "flicking" when I start shooting, after a few coaching (again) seem to correct it. I wonder when I will be in the state of "second nature" na sa akin yung draw-chamber-aim-shoot.

#32 ·
Population pressures will inevitably increase local crime, even if overall economic parameters do not decline too much because OFWs can continue to find work abroad (if that ever becomes difficult, look out!)At the present rate of growth- and there is no indication at all that it is slowing - the population of the Philippines will be 210 million by the year 2050. That's almost three times as many people as already exist, and we are already straining basic services such as housing , sanitation, and education.

My longer-range plan is to sell off my family's 2 houses and just keep everybody in a guarded condo.

Even then, familiarity with how to use a handgun will be important. One never knows. And a guarded condo is no protection once one leaves the condo.

Most cops are not like that guy Corpuz who killed the three bus robbers. Most cops won't even be around, or will arrive late, or will be relatively unhelpful/even harmful (I regretted ever having called them after a burglary- they just kept dropping by asking for money "to help with the investigation". I've experienced several incidents like that. Cops generally suck. So do fiscals.)

#33 ·
Originally posted by Allegra
the bigger the distance, mas advantage sa ipsc shooter
but contrary to IPSC shooters I see on the range and competitions, laging pasugod sila sa target. I am yet to see an IPSC course where a shooter shoots while gaining distance from his targets

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Eye Cutter
to all the defensive mindset junkies:

so how do you hone your skills in the local setting?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey, who are calling a junkie?;f

I have nothing against IPSC. I think its fun. I dont have anything against IDPA either but I think its very dogmatic in its principles.

Practice? Mostly a few rounds on the range (but not lately) and some shooting drills with buddies. I always see to it that I practice my own repetitions.

Hey I like hanging out with the BOGS although most of the time I cant.

So when is the next funshoot and non-shoot meet?

#34 ·
Originally posted by rhino465
I agree with Remo. How practical IPSC is (or is not) depends entirely on the mindset of the individual shooting the matches. Being able to shoot very quickly and accurately as well as engage multiple targets is a very valuable set of skills that you simply can't develop to the same degree anywhere else. Certainly there is more to defensive or combat shooting, but you learn those things elsewhere.

Here is an example of an A-class USPSA shooter handling the situation:

http://www.thetimesonline.com/artic...e_county/dcff9b91e1ccd2ae86256ee000014014.txt
Sounds like an IPSC speed shoot. Who says IPSC ain't practical. Looks like a C and D hit.

#35 ·
My longer-range plan is to sell off my family's 2 houses and just keep everybody in a guarded condo.

Even then, familiarity with how to use a handgun will be important. One never knows. And a guarded condo is no protection once one leaves the condo.

umm...nothing is safe kahit condo
at the cost of a gallon of gas lang and styrofoam, a bg can just lob some molotovs.
Water from the sprinkler system will just spread the gas
san ko kaya nakukuha mga ideas ko ? hehe

Most cops are not like that guy Corpuz who killed the three bus robbers. Most cops won't even be around, or will arrive late, or will be relatively unhelpful/even harmful (I regretted ever having called them after a burglary- they just kept dropping by asking for money "to help with the investigation". I've experienced several incidents like that. Cops generally suck. So do fiscals.) [/B][/QUOTE]

hehe

#36 ·
quote:
the bigger the distance, mas advantage sa ipsc shooter

but contrary to IPSC shooters I see on the range and competitions, laging pasugod sila sa target. I am yet to see an IPSC course where a shooter shoots while gaining distance from his targets

a true ipsc shooter can shoot pa urong, pa side ways, while clinging to a rope with either hand, while contorted like a ppretzel etc.

maganda yung comparison ni Brian enos if I remember correctly
tacticians are like rescue swimmers while ipsc shooters are the olympic swimmers

#37 ·
maganda yung comparison ni Brian enos if I remember correctly
tacticians are like rescue swimmers while ipsc shooters are the olympic swimmers
Di yata magandang analogy yan--

Rescue swimmers = performs CPRs, wears cool orange shorts and Aviators

Olympic swimmers = tested consistently for drugs, shave their legs, ...

Sorry Allegra, can't help it. Peace, man.;f

#38 ·
you know what i really appreciate learning in ipsc shooting? i can shoot with confidence while moving forward both walking and at a run, paatras, sideways, naka-dapa, naka-squat, kneeling, nakasilip sa ilalim ng drum, sa mga butas, while baluktot likod, sitting, nakapulupot sa barricade, while on a swaying bridge, 1 hand, one foot up, with both feet up, etc.

tama ba fafa allegra?

#39 ·
Norco IPSC had a stage a few months ago, where the shooter had to shoot a set of targets approx 45 degrees to his left and another array to his right while stepping back. A local match organizer has the option to design such course of fire or similar. Hindi nga lang "safe" because the RO has to run much faster backwards than the shooter.

#40 ·
you know what i really appreciate learning in ipsc shooting? i can shoot with confidence while moving forward both walking and at a run, paatras, sideways, naka-dapa, naka-squat, kneeling, nakasilip sa ilalim ng drum, sa mga butas, while baluktot likod, sitting, nakapulupot sa barricade, while on a swaying bridge, 1 hand, one foot up, with both feet up, etc.

tama ba fafa allegra?

plus when caught in a gunfight,you learn na maganda magtago sa likod ng popper. ang hirap tamaan nun eh :)

#42 ·
Where else can you apply the precepts of Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas? Where else can you learn to shoot better while moving and thinking all at the same? Where else can you meet the excellent folks of the BOGs? It may be sometimes expensive but hell, it's just money (you'll still end up spending it elsewhere i.e. Lexus, Pegasus, Asus).;b

#43 ·
why do we own guns? the final answer almost always boils down to a defensive reasoning for having one.

Amen, my brother!

I play the shooting games because I own guns (for my own reasons, mostly defense and also political statements) and I want to get better at their proper use. I do not own guns solely to play the games.

That's the big problem with many shooters in Europe and other parts of the world. They only own guns for sports and they accept that as a normal if not good thing. The problem is, you can't justify playing a game being more important than some false but pervasive perception of "public safety," so they will all lose their guns over the next few years.

On the other hand, when you can and do assert your BASIC HUMAN RIGHT TO SELF-DEFENSE, gun ownership rights will always trump people's "feeling" in reality, if not always in a legal system.

#46 ·
umm...nothing is safe kahit condo
at the cost of a gallon of gas lang and styrofoam, a bg can just lob some molotovs.
Water from the sprinkler system will just spread the gas
san ko kaya nakukuha mga ideas ko ? hehe
Yes. This kind of reminds me of Charlton Heston in "The Omega Man", which I saw as a little kid and which, on hindsight, has influenced me in my desire to be better prepared for likely hostile scenarios. This is the synopsis from Yahoo Movies: "The last survivor of germ warfare hides from nocturnal mutants in a fortified mansion, gathering supplies by day from a deserted L.A. whose streets are strewn with the post-apocalyptic flotsam of the super-funky '70s."

I emphasized the word "likely," lest you all think I'm stockpiling for an imminent onslaught of mutant killer zombies :)

#48 ·
"umm...nothing is safe kahit condo
at the cost of a gallon of gas lang and styrofoam, a bg can just lob some molotovs"

Yup, that's true, Allegra. If civil breakdown gets to the point where masa or whomsoever are lobbing cans of gas into condos, then I'll fry.

But barring something that bad, I believe the Ayala guards and the Makati police (hey, they have to earn the Christmas bonuses they get from Ayala Land) will keep the masa back.

Seriously, we all ought to watch the signs in the future. I hope we have enough time to get our families out of here before the eruption. 210 million Filipinos by 2050. I'm glad I'll be dead by then.

#49 ·
i agree with IDOL EYECUTTER,
;z

"you know what i really appreciate learning in ipsc shooting? i can shoot with confidence while moving forward both walking and at a run, paatras, sideways, naka-dapa, naka-squat, kneeling, nakasilip sa ilalim ng drum, sa mga butas, while baluktot likod, sitting, nakapulupot sa barricade, while on a swaying bridge, 1 hand, one foot up, with both feet up, etc. " - (di ako marunong mag lagay nang qoute from other posts ;f ;f )
;z

and if you are so used doing these things, kahit hindi mo isipin, u'll do it by instinct, so pag realthing na.. kahit na magpanic ka pa(i know i would) u can still give those BGs one hell of a fight. ;f ;f ;f

jojo :(

#51 ·
Originally posted by mc_oliver
Teeheehee, I'm imagining the "pulot girls" bending down picking up my brass. ;f
pulot girls can pick up my brass and i can pick up their bras using my mouth;f ;f

Seriously guys. MY reason of owning guns and learning to shoot in IPSC or just simply shooting at the range are the same reason you guys have:
1. Defense 2. a tool for stress management 3. you got extra money to burn spending it to buy bullets is much better than spending it on drugs.

Im not that good yet in shooting compare to some BOG's but for me Screwing up in IPSC match is better than screwing up in real life situation when a life may be at stake , In IPSC I can re shoot anytime and learn from my mistakes if i do good on the next shoot everybody will agree it feels like "heaven" summing it all up it really builds up confidence and prepares the mind on what to do and not to do in real life situation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.