close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Is Opera browser in use much these days?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by MB-G26, Jul 8, 2007.

1. MB-G26

MB-G26 Bk2MiscResource Lifetime Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Missing Sharon
    I haven't had it installed or used it since a couple machine/MB crashes/replacements ago - but I used like the right-click option to access security settings, permissions, and such because it allowed for customized settings and restrictions for the actual webpage being viewed.

That allowed for more flexibility than IE (having one set of settings for each "zone", applicable to all sites in that "zone"), and is quicker than having to make global settings changes in Firefox (which has no right-click or site-specific options, nor has "zones" to allow for varying degrees of permissions).

I'm curious why I haven't seen Opera mentioned out and about for eons. Did it fall from favor?

2. It's still one of the better browsers. Opera keeps working on it or working out "bugs" and for a long time the current version have called "beta's" which may put off some people from using it. 9.21 is the last stable version. I think making it work with Windows Vista has slowed down releasing new stable version. The current beta version is 9.22. You should stay with Opera 9.21 and especially with Windows XP for now.

Opera 9.22 beta

http://www.filehippo.com/download_opera/

Latest stable version Opera 9.21

http://www.filehippo.com/download_opera/?2682

3. Ljunatic

Ljunatic On The Fringe

Oct 23, 2001
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    I have been using it since it went ad-free.

Rarely find a site that is not compatible, but one that sticks out in my mind is TurboTax. I use Firefox for filing returns online

4. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Mar 23, 2003
    >^..^<
    I went to Firefox a few years ago when I couldn't submit assignments for some classes. That semester, I just got used to it and kept using it later out of habit. Sometimes I still miss Opera but I have downloaded all the plug-ins and such to make Firefox just as good, or better.

5. Opera is one of the festest browsers. It uses less resources than Firefox. Opera allows you to right chick and save photo's on webpages that don't normally allow saving their pic's that easily.

6. DonL

DonL

Jul 22, 2002
    Arizona
    Does Opera still use it's own file format for saved bookmarks?

7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Yes, but it will read Firefox/IE bookmark files, and FF/IE will read Opera's.

IGF

8. nickg

nickg

Jan 16, 2002
    i decided to give Opera another try after not trying it for quite a long time, so yesterday i downloaded 9.22.

it imported all of my Firefox bookmarks no problem. seems to have a lot of nice features, it's own email program and is about 1/3 the size (i like that) of what seems to be becoming Firefox bloat, and looks like it uses a lot less system resources (i like that too) and is pretty quick.

you have a choice of skins, changing appearances, add ons or plug ins, etc., just like Firefox.

it does have some nice security features as well (anti phishing, fraudulent/questionable sites, etc.)

i did notice though that if you have "block all popups" activated that you have to click at the top to allow a particular page, photo, or whatever to show up in a tab. that might get old after a while.

but i'm going to use it and see what my overall impressions are after some time with it.

9. denfoote

denfoote MENACE

Jan 28, 2000
    Buckeye Arizona
    I've been using it for about a year.
    I'm using 9.22 with no trouble.

10. PoiDog

PoiDog Gun Cultured

Feb 20, 2001
    ILL
    I've been using Opera for years, with FireFox on my machines just for variety. I rarely use IE in any of its incarnations. Too slow, too unstable for me.

Opera is what I use 98% of the time. I'm using it right now. The bookmarks / favorites translate back and forth easily between browsers.

I'm so used to it, it would be hard to change to anything else. FireFox is very good as well. Both of them blow the doors off IE. No contest.

11. Ljunatic

Ljunatic On The Fringe

Oct 23, 2001
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Nick:

One of the features of Opera that I like is the ability to set preferences for each site, including pop ups. Just right click and select "edit site preferences" and customize away

12. nickg

nickg

Jan 16, 2002
    one thing i do like about Firefox is the ability to restore a session from where you were at should the program close down for whatever reason.

does Opera have this same feature, as i haven't had to use it thus far?

13. Hooah

Hooah

Apr 4, 2006
  14. Chris

Chris Staff Member Admin Moderator

Sep 8, 2003
    USA
    Opera is so light and great

They use it on the wii....

I use it on my mac, and I love it.

fast, tight.