Is it safe to leave a round chambered in a Mossberg 500?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Chris Brines, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Also leaves the bolt open, meaning dust, debris, and obstructions can get into the chamber.

How do you intend to top off the magazine with the shell lifter in the down position, anyway?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. If it's in the bag (posted above), dust and debris is a non-issue.

And at least on the 870, moving the bolt forward slightly raises the lifter. Same for 500's, to my knowledge, but could be wrong.

#42 Inebriated, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  3. cliffsta

cliffsta Who, me?

Nope. If the pump is rearward on the Mossberg 500, you cannot load a shell into the magazine tube.

I personally keep my Mossberg by my bed with a full magazine and empty chamber. Safety on. The way my apartment is set up, if something goes bump at/through the front door or the balcony window, I'd have more than enough time to run the pump and train the bead on the choke point entering my bedroom.

4. I stand corrected, then.

5. True.
    Most shotguns are not "drop-safe".
    For carry and transport, unless you know or believe your firearm to be "drop-safe", you should keep the chamber empty.

Most states prohibit a chambered shotshell or cartridge in a shotgun or long arm while within a motor vehicle.

6. Like some have said, check with you local laws. In Tn, you cannot keep a chambered shotgun in your car. Fill the tube up, just don't chamber a round. Which is odd. You can have 20 fully loaded and chambered hand guns ready to go, but you cannot have a shotgun ready to shoot. But I guess that's the way it goes.

7. I think that's an anti-poaching thing. You can't just pull over and shoot a rabbit if the guns not loaded. Something like that, maybe.