Glock Talk banner

Is it safe to leave a round chambered in a Mossberg 500?

15K views 46 replies 26 participants last post by  TeeJay37 
#1 ·
Just wondering. I keep a Mossberg 500 in my trunk, and just took the buttstock off of it and put the pistol grip on. I've never really expected to have to use it, but there have been quite a few armed robberies in my area lately, one of which the assailant walked up to a guy who was getting groceries out of his trunk.

So I keep the Mossberg in my trunk, and want to know how safe (or unsafe) it may be to leave a round chambered. Meaning all I'd have to do is pick it up, switch the safety "off", and pull the trigger. I always leave the safety on, and even in an SD situation, doubt it would really hinder anything, because it is right where my thumb would go anyway.

I'd like to avoid having to cock it before firing if at all possible, because if someone has a gun in their hand, that sound might make them more inclined to start shooting me, whereas if the first thing they saw was the barrel of my 12 gauge, the last thing they'd see would be 9 pellets of 00 buckshot making them really "holy".

Is this safe? Or should I just leave the chamber empty?

#27 ·
This is how it is positioned in my trunk. Nothing for the finish to get damaged on. it's in a gun case, that is opened. Those are empty gas cans just fyi lol....I like the full stock better but the PG is for maneuvaribility. I think I'd be able to maneuver a PG shotty much more swiftly. Currently with 7 in the tube, nothing in the chamber, safety on. Maybe I'll switch it off.

#28 ·
This is how it is positioned in my trunk. Nothing for the finish to get damaged on. it's in a gun case, that is opened. Those are empty gas cans just fyi lol....I like the full stock better but the PG is for maneuvaribility. I think I'd be able to maneuver a PG shotty much more swiftly. Currently with 7 in the tube, nothing in the chamber, safety on. Maybe I'll switch it off.

PG might be more manouverable, but it's going to be significantly harder to aim effectively at anything much past contact range. Chances are, in an open parking lot, you might need that extra reach the full stock and proper sight picture will give.

Empty chamber, hammer down safety on means 2 distinct actions to make the weapon ready. If someone tries to snatch the shotgun as you open your trunk, it can buy you the time needed to draw a handgun, or otherwise defeat the attacker's attempt to take it.

Finally, I would suggest a way of securing it when needed. If your car got broken into, you wouldn't want that shotgun being such a ripe target.

#29 ·

:rofl:

That must be a Texas thing. My female cousin came up from Texas last year for a visit and she had the same thing in her trunk. But it was in 20 gauge.

#30 ·
PG might be more manouverable, but it's going to be significantly harder to aim effectively at anything much past contact range. Chances are, in an open parking lot, you might need that extra reach the full stock and proper sight picture will give.

Empty chamber, hammer down safety on means 2 distinct actions to make the weapon ready. If someone tries to snatch the shotgun as you open your trunk, it can buy you the time needed to draw a handgun, or otherwise defeat the attacker's attempt to take it.

Finally, I would suggest a way of securing it when needed. If your car got broken into, you wouldn't want that shotgun being such a ripe target.
I agree. See previous post.

#31 · (Edited)
If you are paying attention, you should see that trouble coming. If a methhead is braining you with a tire iron whilst your are putting the Keystone Light in your trunk, YOU messed up and no weapon will help.

Let's assume you see 3 bad guys coming your way.

So, you have two choices IMHO:

1) Like it is, round in chamber w/safety on. But remember that safety can be hard to use with the PG. Pull shotty, throw safety off.

2) Safety OFF, no round in chamber. Pull shotty, and just rack it.

Note: The racking sound does not scare bad guys. A shotgun does not scare bad guys. Rounds on target are what stops bad guys.

I think the pistol grip is fine for short range car protection or house clearing. Everyone hates them, but isn't Hickok45 making 100 yard shots with a PG in video somewhere? For 5-10 yards, you'll be fine.

#32 ·
I think a handgun would be easier to actually bring to the target in this situation, especially since you said they were armed robberies. Imagine the thug with a gun already on you seeing you swing around with a shotgun. How easy would it be for him to spot it. Now think about a pistol. You could have it pretty well hidden until you get all the way around and you could even have it in some type of close-to-body hold already ready to go.

Note: The racking sound does not scare bad guys. A shotgun does not scare bad guys. Rounds on target are what stops bad guys.
+1

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

#34 · (Edited)
If the chamber is empty and the safety off the quickest way to disconect is to pull the trigger and rack it. that saves a move to the disconect and a move to the safety. DO NOT DO THIS AS IT IS NOT SAFE.......... so with that said being as I am in this business and have 3 Million Dollars in liability insurance, that is the fastest way to get a pump shotgun load........BUT DON'T DO IT AS IT IS NOT SAFE........

#35 ·
+1 1rocket69. Chamber empty, action NOT cocked, safety off.

I'd lose the fruit pistol grip stock...you're giving up a vertical or horizontal buttstroke option.

Gun in the trunk makes me think your best option is to floor it if you see trouble coming as you are basically screwed when it comes to firearm access.

Best.

#37 ·
What! And lose the tactical advantage of working the pump, making the BG crap his pants from the sound alone?

In my state, you can only have a long gun with ammo in it in your vehicle if you also have a carry permit. But you still can't have one in the chamber.

#39 ·
Agreed on all counts.

Full stock, empty chamber is the way to go. I would say hammer down and safety on, so it's run pump, hit safety and ready to go.

Also, most carjackings/parking lot robberies are at VERY close range from what I understand, and a shotgun is going to be pretty unwieldy. If you can't CCW, then I'd suggest a handgun in a secured location in the vehicle.
Exactly.

#40 ·
Turn safety off (usually doesn't matter, but being PGO and Mossberg, it's just easier to leave it off)
Load tube
Pull bolt back (lifting shell up)
Top the tube off

You get full capacity, without chambering a round. If you need it, slide the bolt home, and you're ready to go.

#41 ·
Turn safety off (usually doesn't matter, but being PGO and Mossberg, it's just easier to leave it off)
Load tube
Pull bolt back (lifting shell up)
Top the tube off

You get full capacity, without chambering a round. If you need it, slide the bolt home, and you're ready to go.
Also leaves the bolt open, meaning dust, debris, and obstructions can get into the chamber.

How do you intend to top off the magazine with the shell lifter in the down position, anyway?

#42 · (Edited)
Also leaves the bolt open, meaning dust, debris, and obstructions can get into the chamber.

How do you intend to top off the magazine with the shell lifter in the down position, anyway?
If it's in the bag (posted above), dust and debris is a non-issue.

And at least on the 870, moving the bolt forward slightly raises the lifter. Same for 500's, to my knowledge, but could be wrong.

#43 ·
Nope. If the pump is rearward on the Mossberg 500, you cannot load a shell into the magazine tube.

I personally keep my Mossberg by my bed with a full magazine and empty chamber. Safety on. The way my apartment is set up, if something goes bump at/through the front door or the balcony window, I'd have more than enough time to run the pump and train the bead on the choke point entering my bedroom.

#45 ·
...I keep a Mossberg 500 in my trunk, and just took the buttstock off of it and put the pistol grip on...So I keep the Mossberg in my trunk, and want to know how safe (or unsafe) it may be to leave a round chambered...Is this safe? Or should I just leave the chamber empty?
I was told by the trainers at my previous dept. that the way the safety is designed, if you were up drop a loaded shotgun, it would discharge. Now I obviously do not have much experience with shotguns so not sure if that's true or not. We used Remington's, can't remember the model. True or false or on between?

Signed, confuzzed.
True.
Most shotguns are not "drop-safe".
For carry and transport, unless you know or believe your firearm to be "drop-safe", you should keep the chamber empty.

You also want to check the law as some states prohibit keeping a loaded rifle/shotgun in the car. Loaded in some states means round in the chamber. Don't know about Texas, but in Nevada you could keep rounds in the magazine, but not in the chamber if you are going to go for a drive.
Most states prohibit a chambered shotshell or cartridge in a shotgun or long arm while within a motor vehicle.

#46 ·
Like some have said, check with you local laws. In Tn, you cannot keep a chambered shotgun in your car. Fill the tube up, just don't chamber a round. Which is odd. You can have 20 fully loaded and chambered hand guns ready to go, but you cannot have a shotgun ready to shoot. But I guess that's the way it goes.

#47 ·
Like some have said, check with you local laws. In Tn, you cannot keep a chambered shotgun in your car. Fill the tube up, just don't chamber a round. Which is odd. You can have 20 fully loaded and chambered hand guns ready to go, but you cannot have a shotgun ready to shoot. But I guess that's the way it goes.
I think that's an anti-poaching thing. You can't just pull over and shoot a rabbit if the guns not loaded. Something like that, maybe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.