close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Is it safe to decock the hammer on a loaded gun?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Z71bill, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Z71bill

Z71bill

Feb 19, 2007
    Texas
    Is it safe to decock the hammer on a loaded gun?

Obviously I am not asking about a gun with a manual decocker -

But a typical revolver - 1911 - CZ97B

My S&W revolver has some sort of hammer block - if you release the trigger before the hammer drops - the manual even tells you how to decock the hammer.

My S&W 1911 manual says

WARNING: NEVER ATTEMPT TO CARRY YOUR PISTOL
    WITH THE HAMMER DOWN ON A LIVE CARTRIDGE.
    THIS WOULD REQUIRE YOU TO DECOCK THE PISTOL
    WITH A LIVE ROUND IN THE CHAMBER. DECOCKING THE
    HAMMER OVER A LIVE ROUND SHOULD NEVER BE
    ATTEMPTED. TO DO SO COULD RESULT IN SERIOUS INJURY
    OR DEATH TO YOU OR OTHERS

Not sure why the difference between a 1911 and a revolver?

When I am at the range - I will sometime decock a loaded gun - I can have the gun pointed down range - so if it did fire - no big deal - the round will go into the berm -

I don't ever decocking a loaded gun - while inside my home -

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  2. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    The 1911 does not have a decocker. They used the wrong word, and are advising against manually lowering the hammer with a round in the chamber.

It is perfectly safe to use a decocker (like those found on S&W pistols) with a live round in the chamber.

3. Creatism

Creatism

Dec 25, 2011
    On the 1911 do not carry hammer down on live round. It is not a matter if it is a matter of when you mess up and have a ND!
    I have a hole in my wall from doing just that. Revolvers I don't know about. But very bad idea with the 1911!

Typed from my iPhone.

4. Rumbler_G20

Rumbler_G20

Dec 5, 2011
    N. Florida
    There are two types of 1911s.

There is the pre brain dead 1911's and the post brain dead 1911's.

Starting with the 80 Series Colt sold out to the "guns shouldn't be dangerous" crowd and with one exception (reintroduction of a limited run of 70 series pistols) still has not climbed back out of the toilet.

70 Series and earlier 1911's should most certainly NOT have the hammer lowered on a live round.

5. Z71bill

Z71bill

Feb 19, 2007
    Texas
    What good is a DA/SA pistol if I can't carry it hammer down?

Do you have the gun loaded - round in chamber - but hammer down - if you need to put the gun into service quickly - just pull the trigger.

I am thinking CZ now - the CZ97B model does not have a manual decocker - so how would I get to the hammer down on a live round?

The manual says nothing about doing it.

6. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Glock4Life

Oct 11, 2004
    Avondale, AZ.
    Series 70 is perfectly safe to have the hammer lowered with a round in the chamber, it's called Condition 2. The firing pin is actually shorter then the channel that it rides in so even with the hammer pushing on the back of the pin it'll still not contact the primer. It'll only hit the primer when the hammer hits it hard enough to drive it forward and it overcomes the firing pin spring tension.
    I did have a Star 9mm that had a longer firing pin so that if you put the hammer down on the firing pin it would actually protrude into the primer, that was not a safe gun to carry with the hammer down but a 1911a1 is perfectly safe.
    http://www.sightm1911.com/Care/1911_conditions.htm

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2012
  7. SigFTW

SigFTW

Nov 4, 2010
    TX
    That is a practices I don't do. You run the risk of a ND, it only takes one slip of the finger. I always unload before decoking the hammer on my 1911.

8. Salmoneye

Salmoneye

Jan 23, 2012
    Neither are 'revolvers' at all, let alone 'typical'...

9. Adam5

Adam5

Sep 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Why not carry it cocked and locked?

10. Z71bill

Z71bill

Feb 19, 2007
    Texas
    Not sure what you are saying -

I was trying to ask the same question (can I safely decock the hammer) on each of these 3 different guns -

1. A revolver -

2. A 1911

3. A DA/SA pistol without a manual decocker like the CZ97B

The owners manual tells me how to decock the hammer on my model 63 S&W

But the owners manuakl on my S&W 1911 says - NEVER decock on a loaded round.

The the CZ97 manual says nothing about decocking the hammer.

11. SigFTW

SigFTW

Nov 4, 2010
    TX
    :agree:Exactly.

If you are worried about carrying with one in the chamber and don't want the hammer cocked. Then look at SA/DA with a decocker. There are lots of options.

12. SigFTW

SigFTW

Nov 4, 2010
    TX
    It is not a good practices to decock a loaded gun.

13. Z71bill

Z71bill

Feb 19, 2007
    Texas

I would carry my 1911 cocked and locked - it is SA only - but I almost never CC it.

What is the purpose of DA part of a DA/SA pistol - if you never plan to carry hammer down?

--

I am use to carrying a Glock type gun - no manual safety - I just draw from the holster and pull the trigger -

I was thinking - if I got a gun like the CZ97B I would just keep it hammer down - safety off - round in the chamber - and it would be "just as safe" as my G19.

Plus - I don't need to change my normal routine - no safety to mess with.

I could just be confused and mixed up - that is why I am asking.

14. Salmoneye

Salmoneye

Jan 23, 2012
    Your writing style is confusing at best...

To answer your question, you can decock anything you want...

But you need to be aware of each firearm's mechanisms, and idiosyncrasies...

For a firearm that distinctly advises against lowering on a loaded chamber, eject the magazine, and rack the slide...

Or, as others have suggested, carry cocked and locked...

15. taurn88

taurn88

Apr 22, 2010
    Since you are used to Glocks, just keep it simple and get a CZ97 BD with a decocker.

16. SigFTW

SigFTW

Nov 4, 2010
    TX
    :agree:An even better option.

17. 1gewehr

1gewehr

Mar 22, 2006
    Mid TN
    Even if you have a decocker, you should hold the hammer as you de-cock the weapon slowly. Less stress on the parts, and less chance of breaking something.

Many pistols are perfectly safe to carry with the hammer down on a live round. It is your responsibility to know your own weapon. It's easy enough to check. Put a piece of tape over the base of a fired cartridge case. Chamber it. Lower the hammer. Manually push the hammer as far forward as it will go. Eject the case. If the tape has a hole or dimple, don't ever lower the hammer with a live round in the chamber or cylinder.

18. Rustin

Rustin

Oct 12, 2011
    Central Ohio
    When concerning a 1911, friends don't let friends carry in condition 2. It is an ND waiting to happen. Just carry condition 1 or condition 3. They are both acceptable and safe. You say that you do it on the range and don't worry about an ND? Think of whats happening when a semi automatic gun fires. The slide jars back with a hell of a punch. If your thumb was in it's path it would certainly be broken. DON'T DO IT! I don't understand where condition 2 even came from, it's certainly ignorant.

P.S if you really want to decock a gun, get a DOUBLE ACTION gun such as the Sig p226 or an HK, FN, Beretta 92, or a CZ-75. If you want to carry a SINGLE ACION firearm, a decocking will eventually cause an ND.

19. Z71bill

Z71bill

Feb 19, 2007
    Texas
    Good point about decocking a semi auto - will not be doing that again -

The only real reason for the DA capability on a DA/SA pistol would be to give you two strike capability?

So if you had a hard primer and the round didn't fire the first time you pull the trigger you could just try again.

I try my best to error on the side of safety. Better to ask now VS have a ND.

20. elsolo

elsolo

Aug 4, 2003
    socal
    Yes, it is safe to decock a CZ97B with one in the chamber.
    Use two hands, don't thumb it down like seen in movies.

USPSA and IPSC require it during "load and make ready" for production division, the sport takes safety very seriously and has a track record to back it up.