close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Is it really safe to physically check the chamber of my Glock for a round?

Discussion in 'Tactics and Training' started by 1Glock17, Mar 5, 2014.

1. 1Glock17

1Glock17

Feb 27, 2014
    I understand that the NRA recommends that in addition to visually checking the chamber for a round one should physically check said chamber with the little finger for a round. Is this really safe? What if the slide were to release on one's finger? (This is a serious question.)

2. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Apr 5, 2007
    Utah
    It is safe. Done it thousands of times with many guns. Never had a problem. Worst that could happen would to get your pinky pinched.

3. vram74

vram74

Feb 21, 2010
    if the slide is locked open, unless you hit the release, you're fine. However, the NRA instructions clearly state that should the slide release and pinch your finger, you are to cuss furiously.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  4. 1Glock17

1Glock17

Feb 27, 2014
    Thank you. I've actually never used my finger before to check the chamber, but I will from now on. And I promise that I will be brave when I do so... :embarassed:

5. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Apr 5, 2007
    Utah
    Borrow an M1 Garand and give yourself a case of M1 Thumb. You will have no fear of a Glock.

6. 4Rules

4Rules

Mar 11, 2012
    Some methods do not incorporate continuous manual control of the slide, but some do. Watch these two videos to see two of the many methods that incorporate continuous manual control of the slide.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU68wjU5b80"]The Press Check: How & Why by Gomez-Training.com - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plt4prTH40I"]Survival Skills 101: Is Your Gun Loaded? Chamber Check Your Semi-Auto Handgun Like a Pro! - YouTube[/ame]

7. 1Glock17

1Glock17

Feb 27, 2014
    Thanks for the video recommendations. They are instructive, but the instructor in the second video appears to recommend the tactile method for just checking in the dark. Perhaps this method (tactile) should always be employed?

8. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

Feb 15, 2006
    Las Vegas
    LOL!!

My M1 was BRUTAL that way.

One of the few guns I don't regret selling.

The GLOCK is a piece of cake compared!

9. "Cold Dead Hands" !

"Cold Dead Hands" !

Feb 19, 2009
    You can probably visually check as far as your finger could go in a handgun.
    With mag removed and at slide lock.
    Put a mirror up to the barrel, if you see light down the barrel, its got to be empty.
    Any squib would block light.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  10. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

Oct 19, 2006
    Doh ?
    [quote="Cold Dead Hands" !;21062038]You can probably visually check as far as your finger could go in a handgun.
    With mag removed and at slide lock.
    Put a mirror up to the barrel, if you see light down the barrel, its got to be empty.
    Any squib would block light.[/quote]

The NRA recommendation for tactically and visually checking the chamber to determine if the gun is not loaded is so that "one habit reinforces the other". People can "just go through the motions" of a visual check. Besides feeling for the presence of a cartridge, the tactile process makes the person slow down and be more methodical about the process.

This is a bit different than a "press check" which should not be used to determine if a gun is not loaded, but to see if a gun is loaded. In a press check, the slide is moved just enough to see the brass to see that a round is chambered. To determine if a gun is unloaded, you want to see the empty chamber, and the location where a magazine would be (or in the case of using an empty magazine to lock the slide back, the follower).

11. My sister's pinky got Glocked a couple of years ago. I thought she was quite religious right up until that very moment.

12. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Jun 14, 2002
    Better than a press check any day. On a glock at least.

13. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Aug 20, 2002
    Virginia
    a corroded shell (darkened) could cause you to believe the shell is not present.

Always remove the magazine first! Then check.

By learning to use your finger you can also check in the dark.

14. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    It would hurt. You might even get a cut. So don't release the slide while you are doing it.

I have seen a drill sergeant visually check an M16 chamber and call it clear, right before a private fired a round into the clearing barrel, and I have visually checked a chamber and called it clear at an IDPA match, right before I told the shooter to drop his slide and pull the trigger and he fired one into the berm.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  15. Yep, the mind wants to see what it wants to see.

A local instructor teaches a very good way to combat this: look, look away, then look back again. Do a quick push/pull of the gun to change your viewing angles.

Even so, I still prefer to physically check with my finger both for "press-checking" to insure that the gun is ready as well as to check that the gun has been cleared.

16. talon

talon

Jun 10, 2001
    Dallas,Tx,USA
    Personally I just look and SEE, I don't need to touch. If its dark I find a light. :)

17. Speleothem

Speleothem

Mar 2, 2013
    Ascension Parish

You won't be able to detect an invisible round that way. :supergrin:

18. Hopefully you look in the ejection port. That light switch can be a real beach!:shocked:

J/K... That and rack the slide three times before looking in the port three times. Aim in a safe direction and pull the trigger (Glock). Then field strip.

19. johnson8861

johnson8861 Daddo Chomper

FLETC requires finger check for all weapons, except for the AR15 rifles.

20. ranger1968

ranger1968

Mar 23, 2009
    Brother, you got THAT right.:crying:

My very first time with a Garand I found that out.