close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Is it possible to "re-blue" the barrel of a Glock?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Praetorian27, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Praetorian27

Praetorian27 NRA Life Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Hi guys,

I polished the barrel of my G27 and to be honest, it's a little too blingy for me. I was wondering if it's possible to get it back to stock bluing?

2. You mean tennifer. You can blue it but you would need the machinery that Glock Inc. has, to tennifer the barrel back. The closest you would get to the appereance of the flat black of the tennifer is, if you do a " hot blueing ".

3. Praetorian27

Jan 25, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Damn. Time to find a replacement barrel!

Thanks

4. trekgod3

trekgod3 Quad-Glocker

Jun 2, 2010
    Jupiter, FL
    No, he means the blueing. You cant polish off the tennifer. It's a metal treatment, not a colorant.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  5. SJ 40

SJ 40

Jan 17, 2011
    Vermont
    Correct ,the black finish on the exterior of Glocks is not Tenifer. However Glock at some recent point in time no longer uses the trademarked Tenifer process on their guns. If indeed a part has been Tenifer treated a blueing solution will do nothing to color it,think Cera Kote. SJ 40

6. I know, but I have heard several times before here in this forum that once you sand or polish the barrel, you would not get that flat appearance again if you just re-blue. The way I accomplished a similar finish on the past, was on a shotgun barrel. I glass-bead blasted the barrel, then applied the hot blue, and the result was a similar flat velvety black.

7. frank_drebin

frank_drebin 1-man flash mob

Jan 15, 2009
    It'll blue. Stick a foam ear plug in each end of the barrel, clean it with acetone then alcohol Then drop it in a bowl of cold blue for a few minutes. Remove, wipe down and oil.

8. CourtCop

CourtCop Millennium Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Brodheadsville, PA
  9. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Couldn't you just give it a "brushed steel" look to make it look less pimptacular? At least the barrel hood?

[​IMG]

10. SJ 40

SJ 40

Jan 17, 2011
    Vermont
    Which can be accomplished with a Scotch Brite pad and about two minutes. SJ 40

11. Praetorian27

Jan 25, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I think I'll try re bluing it myself. What's the worst that can happen? I end up buying another barrel? Not really a huge deal other than the serial numbers will no longer match.

12. SJ 40

SJ 40

Jan 17, 2011
    Vermont
    It wont hurt it but if you do get it to take any blueing let us know which blue and method you used. As any cold blue I've ever used would not take on the Tenifer and i've used a scad Bluewonder,44-40,BirchWood Casey,Brownells Oxpho Blue and a few others. They would not take but Frank Drebin had better luck than I with it. SJ 40

13. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

Apr 25, 2009
    SE Colorado
    I have heard of people trying to blue a polished Glock barrel and for the most part the bluing wouldn't take and what did take was in splotches, I'd imagine that's because of the Tenifer case hardening done to the surface of the steel. Even if they're not using Tenifer anymore they're still using a similar case hardening process.

14. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    The directions for the cold blueing often recommend scuffing the surface with steel wool. It would not surprise me at all if it did not work well with a polished surface.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  15. Ranger357

Ranger357 Just pixels

Jul 26, 2008
    Did the same thing with my Glock 21, that had a matt chome palted slide, thought polished would look good and but changed my mind.

Glockparts.com beadblasted and re-finshed it in black for under $20. Took less than a week after it got there to get back to me. Very happy with end results. Just don't be expecting any contact with them, e-mails and phone calls go unaswered at this point, as with many Glock suppliers.

16. JakeFromStateFarm

JakeFromStateFarm .40 S&W

Dec 14, 2012
    California
    Correct, it's kind of like painting anything. For the paint to stick and have somthing to hold onto you have to scuff the surface. I would imagine its the same idea with blueing.

17. Inebriated

Inebriated

Feb 20, 2012
    I'd have it Cerakoted. The professional kind, that requires baking. Not the spray it and forget it.

18. iflyem1

iflyem1 Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Illinois
    I had a polished barrel and ROBAR reblued it for me. No issues so I imagine that it can be done if they did it for me on my polished glock barrel.