Is it possible that my Gen 4 21 has a 3.5lb connector?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Inebriated, Feb 5, 2013.

1. I don't have a trigger pull gauge, but compared to my Gen 4 19 and 26 it's got a lighter, smoother trigger. The "wall" you feel during the pull also isn't as hard as on the 19 or 26. Is there any way I can tell if it's possible, or does Glock just not ship anything with 3.5lb connectors?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

3. Inebriated..."does Glock just not ship anything with 3.5lb connectors?"

Glock does not ship any of their pistols with a 3.5 lb trigger in them, this is strictly an after-market item. I have a G21, generation 3 and they are the same from the factory as the generation 4's, they all come with a 5.5 lb trigger.

4. Well apparently they do...

"comes stock on most G17L, G24, G34, G35 models."
  5. bentbiker

bentbiker NRA Member

Anything is possible, but you can tell what is installed by looking at the tab at the top of your connector -- the tab that is pushed inward to disconnect the trigger bar from the connector during cycling of the slide. It will have either a plus sign (+), dot, nothing, or a minus sign (-).

I looked for Butch's picture showing the markings, but the tag search here sucks -- tags just disappear periodically.
    #4 bentbiker, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  6. 4.5 = "-"
    5.0 = "."
    5.5 = (blank/no mark)
    8.0 = "+"

You can see the stamp/mark on the connector when looking from the left side to the right side of the pistol.
  7. Thanks guys.

They both have the "dot" connector.

8. My G-35 has one and was bought new with it (Gen3). It is a 4.5lb trigger that is very smooth.
  9. I'm just trying to figure out how in the world the 26 and 19 have such sucky triggers, compared to the 21. They get the same cleaning, they're factory, they all have just about the same round count (1.5k in the 21, 2k in the 26, 1k in the 19)... They all have the "." connector. I've tried taking the bump off the 19's trigger bar, which didn't do anything.
  10. RMM

I have had similar observations between Glock triggers. I was surprised at the difference between my three models.

I recently bought a Gen4 G17 (Dot Connector) and Gen3 G20 (Std. Connector). Out of the box, without any firing, they were both lighter and slightly "mushier" (for lack of a better term) compared to my Gen3 G26 (Std. Connector) with ~4,000 rounds through it. I afterwards detail stripped and cleaned and lubed the G26 trigger mechanism, which made no difference.

My G26 trigger has always been more of a "wall" that you come up against and then breaks hard.

In contrast, my stock Gen4 G17 and stock Gen3 G20 had more of a "rolling break" right out of the box. They also felt significantly lighter than my G26.

At one point I specifically looked to see if my G26 (although I purchased it new) had a "+" connector installed in it. It does not, and the box is marked "5.5 lb. trigger".

I'm not sure what the difference is, but I'm sure that there is a difference. It is probably a combination of tolerances that are slightly different. Little things like connector angle, trigger bar length, spring rates, bends on parts, etc.
  11. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

so, So, SO not true.

The G34/G35/G17/G24 do for sure (unless it's the Blue Label version then it *might not*). Those models ALSO get the extended slide lock installed by default. They're considered competition guns, that's why.
    Now... I've never heard of any other model that "accidentally" had a 3.5 installed (technically they're called '-' connectors now), so I doubt if the OP has one in his... but to say that '-' connectors are aftermarket only is pure fallacy.
  12. Glock calls the lightest connector a 4.5 now but I think most of us still call it the 3.5.

Here's a link from Glock with a picture. Top one shows the "-" on the 4.5 connector.

Guess you have to click on Connectors to find the pic. Sorry.

#11 Dave.1, Feb 6, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  13. I have a gen4 G21, and my trigger is also lighter and smoother than any other Glock I've fired ... and definitely about a pound lighter than my G36 trigger. I think Glock may intentionally make the carry gun triggers a little heavier for safety reasons. Just speculation.
    #12 WinterWizard, Feb 6, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  14. That's kind of what I'm thinking, at this point. Might get a 3.5lb and factory 4.5lb connector for the 26 and 19, and see if it helps them get close to my 21's trigger.

It does not have one. But my research has sparked an insatiable need for a G34... lol

Yeah, mine certainly is the standard 5.0lb connector. But thanks for the link!

I would be surprised by that. I mean, Glock's whole "schtick" is that their trigger is light and safe. Plus, the compact and sub-compact Glocks all come with the "target" serrated trigger... it would be counterproductive to make a "target" trigger heavier.

But, who knows?
  15. Who knows, indeed. But where do you get your information that Glock says their triggers are light and that their carry guns have "target" triggers because of the serrations? I would think the serrations are for grip in defensive situations. Gotta disagree with you, bro.
    #14 WinterWizard, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  16. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

The term "target trigger" is a designation from the BATFE point system to qualify pistols for importation. Glock uses the grooved triggers to qualify as a target trigger and gain enough points for importation. It's not a reference to trigger pull weight in this case.

BATFE uses a point system to qualify pistols for importation as follows (total score of 75 required):

Characteristic - Points

Length: for each 1/4" over 6" - 1
    Forged steel frame - 15
    Forged HTS alloy frame - 20
    Unloaded weight w/mag (per oz.) - 1
    .22 short and .25 auto - 0
    .22 LR and 7.65mm to .380 auto - 3
    9mm parabellum and over - 10
    Locked breech mechanism - 5
    Loaded chamber indicator - 5
    Grip safety - 3
    Magazine safety - 5
    Firing pin block or lock - 10
    External hammer - 2
    Double action - 10
    Drift adjustable target sight - 5
    Click adjustable target sight - 10
    Target grips - 5
    Target trigger - 2​

FYI, a pistol qualifies as having "Target grips" if the grip has a "contoured thumb rest." I'm so happy my tax dollars are being spent on important issues like this for my safety and security. (sarcasm)
    #15 GRT45, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013