close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is it necessary?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by November Sunrise, Aug 10, 2010.

1. November Sunrise

November Sunrise
    Expand Collapse

I just broke down 50 rounds of 9mm as i was interrupted while reloading and wasn't absolutely sure i didn't double charge one while being bothered. The question is. Should i re size the case again before reloading the already primed cases? If so, what is the best , safest way to remove the already newly installed primers? Shoot em? Should i simply remove the primer extractor and re size them?
    Thanks

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. unclebob

unclebob
    Expand Collapse

Yes, I would resize them. Just take the decapping rod out of the resize die.

3. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams
    Expand Collapse

I don't see the purpose of re-resizing a case that has not been fired. Pull the bullet, bell the case mouth, charge powder, install the bullet, crimp.

4. unclebob

unclebob
    Expand Collapse

Everything that I have read in books and magazines they all say resize the case.

5. DoctaGlockta

DoctaGlockta
    Expand Collapse

This gets my vote unless you used a large crimp. I have done this several times myself with 45acp, 223, 308. Good luck.

Also I use powders that will not allow for a double charge. Double charges will be spilling all over the place and will be oblivious. This is just an extra paranoid safety measure I adhere to.

#5 DoctaGlockta, Aug 10, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  6. RustyFN

RustyFN
    Expand Collapse

I would take out the decapping pin and resize them like Unclebob said. You were smart enough to pull them to make sure they were safe, it is only 50 cases so why take the chance of having one bullet set back because of bad case tension.

7. PCJim

PCJim
    Expand Collapse

When I've come across a reload problem (such as this past weekend when I had two 9mm rounds out of some 2.5K that I found didn't receive a primer), I pull the ammo and completely reload it. Instead of bothering with removing the depriming pin, I let he die remove the good primer, catch it, and reseat it. It's no big deal to deprime a live primer - just take it slow.

8. ssgrock3

ssgrock3
    Expand Collapse

this or really if you don't even want to do that, what are you out if you just punch out the primer into the dead bin .02 cents?

Not worth pulling your primer pin for that. time involved is not worth it. rebell the case mouth and charge it, crimp and wala...new round.

9. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

When you seat the bullet you stretch the case a bit. When you pull it, the case doesn't spring back. So you have reduced neck tension by not resizing. If you pull bullets, for best results, resize the case w/ the decapper removed. Can you reload w/o resizing, sure, but you will not have consistant neck tension.:dunno:

#9 fredj338, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  10. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

Except he has 50=$1, yeah, I'll take the 5sec to back the decapper out.:upeyes:

#10 fredj338, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  11. PCJim

PCJim
    Expand Collapse

To clarify, the OP has 50 rounds under consideration. I surely didn't..... You had me wondering there for a minute, Fred.

12. ssgrock3

ssgrock3
    Expand Collapse

I guess I missunderstood, that he messed up a round while loading 50. So he has 50! that he might have double charged....really?

if so you are correct, he would be out a dollar, and it doesn't take long to take the decap pin out.

the upeyes are very helpful...maybe if you did that to the OP he might not have loaded 50 rounds wrong or potentially wrong.

13. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

Well, he already knows he messed up & after he pulls down 50, he'll not forget it.:supergrin: The issue I am sure is he does not know which one of the 50 is possible dbl. so all have to come apart.

#13 fredj338, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  14. ssgrock3

ssgrock3
    Expand Collapse

yes sir, that is a true statement. I apologize for my persnickyedness.

15. 1006

Expand Collapse

If we were talking about rifles, I would say: resize for neck tension.

I wouldn't worry it with 9mm -- you are going to taper crimp again anyway after you re-bell the brass and stick the bullet back in place.

16. unclebob

unclebob
    Expand Collapse

And what do you think you are doing with the 9mm. Taper crimp. It only gets rid of the bell It does not help grip the bullet. Only the sizer die does that. Just the same as a rifle round. Roll crimp is a different story.So if you want too have a chance of having bullet setback, go right ahead and don’t resize a case that you pulled a bullet on. I know people have done thousand and nothing has happened. Do you really want too be the person that it didn’t work?

17. GioaJack

GioaJack
    Expand Collapse
    Conifer Jack

What is this term 'taper crimp' you people speak of? Don't you just push the bullet in the case and after you load it hold the gun horizontal so the bullet doesn't slide around?

There sure is a lot to learn about all this loading stuff. I don't know if I'll ever understand it. I guess you have to be like a genius... only smarter. :dunno:

Jack

18. unclebob

unclebob
    Expand Collapse

Come on Jack Who are you trying too kid? I’m beginning too think the only thing you do not know how to do is stay married.:tongueout:

19. 1006

Expand Collapse

Although it is a taper crimp, it is a crimp just the same. It will put tension on the bullet if it is adjusted properly. If the bullets were not fired from the brass, the brass has never expanded as it would during firing. I would not resize them.

20. shotgunred

shotgunred
    Expand Collapse
    reloading nut

I have pushed live primers out and I have just removed the pin. If I wanted to reuse the primers I would remove the pin.
    But either way I would still re-size.

#20 shotgunred, Aug 13, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2010