close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Is it ever too late to change?

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by jdavionic, Aug 12, 2012.

1. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
    People routinely reach a point in their lives where they have strayed down the 'wrong path'. I don't pretend to know all of the biblical references. However I know in the Christianity religions that I am aware of, they cite that it is never too late to change your life / path and that you can still achieve your peace and forgiveness with God.

Just curious though...is this a common theme in ALL religions? How do these religions cite evidence to support this assertion?

Religions are very diverse in their beliefs, obviously. Just curious whether this one issue is universal common belief in all religions where there is a belief in a God or Gods and some afterlife judgement.

2. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    No, it is not common among all religions. Most religions are works based. That through your meritorious are unmeritorious behavior you can earn something.

Christianity teaches that by faith you come to Christ as you are, and then through a relationship with Him positive changes are made.

3. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
    So Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, etc...it's common?

4. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas

Hinduism is about reincarnation based upon your works. You work your way to non-existance by seperating your concious from your unconcious and embracing the unconcious or Brahman.

Budhism is a very similar concept, life is suffering, attachments cause suffering, once you learn to detach and work your way through incarnations to a Moksha state. If you Hinduism and Budhism and Hinduism seem familiar it is because Budhism is a reform movement of Hinduism.

Judaism is also works based.

Again, Christianity once agian stands out differently.

5. Most religions believe there is no death so "after life" is subjective.

Biblical Christianity teaches that death is a real enemy and that the rewards of judgment are eternal life or eternal death.

The significance of the most well known Bible text in this regard is often glossed over as people see what they expect or want to see. Jesus contrasts life with death.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

There is no afterlife judgment to those who have followed Jesus in faith.

Ezekiel 18:20 The soul that sins, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be on him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be on him.
    18:21 But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he has committed, and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live, he shall not die.
    18:22 All his transgressions that he has committed, they shall not be mentioned to him: in his righteousness that he has done he shall live.
    18:23 Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? said the Lord GOD: and not that he should return from his ways, and live?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  6. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
    Do you think it's a common item because people know that they do make mistakes and would lose all hope if no forgiveness was granted for change...or is there more to it? I just find it odd that there are not many things that are common in a wide variety of religions, yet this one appears to be an exception.

7. Yes, there is more to it. God says that He will come in and make the changes if you will have faith that He can do it. You do not have to make yourself clean and in fact you cannot. Only God can remake you into a new person.

John 3:3 Jesus answered and said to him, Truly, truly, I say to you, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Psalm 51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.

It is the blood of Jesus sacrifice that allowed this transaction to take place because we have nothing of value to pay for it.

8. As far as the original question as the title to the post, there were two men being crucified alongside Christ for their crimes. One admitted his sin and accepted Jesus the other rejected Jesus. Jesus gave assurance to the one who accepted Him.

Luke 23:39 And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.
    23:40 But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?
    23:41 And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.
    23:42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.
    23:43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

It is not recommended that you hold off to the last moment to come to Christ because you may become so hardened that you can't repent.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  9. NMG26

NMG26

Jul 24, 2010
    NM
    This guy started kind of late.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eckhart_Tolle

Inward journeys can start whenever we give in to the call. In that perspective it is never to late in any religion.

New beginnings. Each day is new. Consciousness shifts. People may have a nagging feeling for years and never give into it. Others will give in to that spiritual thing going on from within. When does not matter. Sooner is probably better then later.

It is never too late.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  10. It is not good to put off making your decision. It may never be made. A good example in the Bible is a governor who put Paul off till later and the later never came.

Acts 24:25 And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come, Felix trembled, and answered, Go your way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for you.

11. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

Mar 24, 1999
    Mankind invented religion to serve as what we now think of as "government".

To allow a small, self-appointed, self-so-called "elite" to control the lives and actions of a majority that they keep and maintain in perpetual servitude.

Religions, controlled by the minority "elite", invented the concept of "God" to justify their self-created, self-proclaimed, authority over the masses.

Religion is a scam. Always has been. Always will be.

Today, we have a much, much better paradigm for a just society.

Secular Government with respect for individual liberty. Supporting capitalist economies that provide for the creation of but uneven distribution of wealth and allows the individual to create and accumulate wealth.

Religion is an obsolete concept that is no longer worth the time, treasure, blood and lives that mankind continues to sacrifice in it's name.

:dunno:

Amen.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  12. Were you on the planning committee? How do you know this?

13. NMG26

NMG26

Jul 24, 2010
    NM
    What about spirituality?

Through religion I developed a spirituality that I find very helpful in my life.

I have pretty much dumped the religion, but I can not justify dumping the spirituality.

New Thought calls God "It". We seem to have a spiritual connection to "It". A relationship to "it". We communicate with "it". "It" communicates with us.

God is a part of every one of us and every one of us is part of God. All things are connected.

Close to the Deist beliefs of the United States Founding Fathers.

People seem to have there own religion, apart from the churches that they are connected to and affiliated with. Why? It seems to be part of human nature to need a spiritual connection. A connection to our source maybe?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  14. Norske opinioned it.

15. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Apr 22, 2007
    North Idaho
    Nope, he pretty much summed it up, keep believing in magical fairy tales all ya want, if it makes you happy, awesome. I have no problem with anyone finding their personal salvation in fabricated stories. Not at all. Good on ya.

16. JBnTX

JBnTX Bible Thumper

Aug 28, 2008
    Fort Worth Texas
    jdavionic,

There's only two kinds of people in this world.
    Those who believe in God, and those who will.

17. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Feb 15, 2010
    Tampa, Fl.
    Absolutely not. The allure of Christianity at its inception was how easy it was to become a Christian and how little effort it required to be one vs. the other religions - most notably Judaism, the religion is was born from.

18. Amen JB!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

19. Seriously?

True, you didn't need to be circumcised to join the Church. But that's about all there was that was so easy.

The early Church required a period of study and acceptance, much like Judaism does today, and pretty much like the Catholic Church does today. Since Vatican II, we call it RCIA, but that's just a restoration of "the order of the Catechumenate" which existed in the early Church.

Oh, and don't forget that for most of the first few centuries, joining the Church meant that you were in for quite a bit of persecution.

When Jesus said "you shall be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria and to the end of the earth" the word for witnesses that He used was martus in Greek; we get the word martyr from that word.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012