close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is golf dying?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by BSA70, Sep 22, 2012.

1. BSA70

BSA70

Heard on the radio yesterday that, in the past 10 years, more than 5 million people have given up playing golf. Golf course operators are looking for ways to make the game more attractive.

The most apparent loss is in one of the prime demographics: Men with families. Three reasons were given for the decline:

1) Costs too much (if you want to play on a nice course with good clubs)

2) Is too difficult to play, particularly if you don't play a lot (they say it's called "golf" because the other four-letter words were all taken)

3) The game takes too much time away from home and family. Giving up an entire morning or afternoon, or more, on a weekend is too much.

Opinions?

BSA

2. TheBelly

TheBelly

good. Everyone else can get out of my way, then.

I'm a horrible golfer, and it only makes me hate golfing when some goober behind me is getting all anxious and asks to play through.... then complains when I let him play through...

3. Cadcom

Cadcom

Sporting clays took the place of my golf games on weekends. That and my kids like to shoot at the range and never we're interested in Golf made it a easy decision.

4. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

My golf game couldn't get much worse but it isn't dead yet.

5. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

SC is golf with a shotgun.

Check out my web page: http://www.ysr-racer.com/

6. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Golf is a luxury for most. Given the current state of the economy, it isn't a surprise. It can be significantly expensive in terms of money and time.

Entertainment budget restrictions and new business ethics codes have cut down as well. I know for a fact that there are some companies running email filters looking for "golf" as a hot-word that will get you a phone call.

7. JerryVO

JerryVO

I have not noticed any slowness at any of the public cources I play at but I am a cheapo and cap out at $50 a round. I have several friends with club memberships and I know their membership and recruiting numbers are sub par (sorry.. the awful pun just slipped out)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

8. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

I live on a municipal course and haven't notice any drop in activity.

9. Left-Right

Left-Right

Golf is hard. Good golf is really hard. It does take a lot of time. It is expensive.

But if the bug bites you, it's hard to walk away from.

10. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

Our local course seems to have fewer folks playing these days. I used to be a member, but quit golfing about 10 years ago. A lot of the older members that kept it going are gone now, with no younger folks joining to take their place. A vicious circle developed where the monthly dues was raised on those remaining, which caused more of them to quit.

11. brisk21

brisk21

Those reasons are pretty much my reasons for not playing a whole lot anymore. Mostly, I don't like the amount of time it takes away from family. Its not really that expensive, but I have to play quite a bid to start to see improvement. I won't make time for that. I still golf once in awhile, but not even on a semi-regular basis. Im a 2nd shifter, so maybe when my kids get in school, I'll start playing a little more.

12. joe_rkba

joe_rkba

I walked away from the game. Too much time and expense. I can have more fun for less money or get more exercise in less time.

13. elsolo

elsolo

When I visited family in FL, there were several golf courses nearby that were almost out of business.

Some of it is part of the housing boom/bust, golf courses were constructed but they couldn't sell the housing lots around the course.

My dad is an avid golfer, but even he hasn't been playing as much the last year.

14. M&P Shooter

M&P Shooter Metal Member

Was it ever for the living:rofl:

15. MikeG22

MikeG22 CLM

It's dying cause all the golfers are having "strokes"!

16. vikingsoftpaw

vikingsoftpaw DEPLORABLE ME!

I'd say mostly #3. My father was an avid golfer until he had a family. Then his clubs gathered dust until his death.

17. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

Given the economy expensive sports are among the first to decline. When the economy comes back so will golf.

18. Hurricanes

Hurricanes

"I tell ya, golf courses and cemeteries are the biggest wastes of prime real estate."

19. CAcop

CAcop

I think it is a little bit. The younger generation art work does play but they do it less frequently than the guys my age or older. For them I think it gets in the way of Xbox. That and it is harder to chase tail on the golf course. They really aren't into older women whose husbands are off a t work and the kids are in school.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

20. LoadToadBoss

LoadToadBoss IYAAYWOT

For me, the older I get the more difficult it is to play golf. Arthritis, back and shoulder injures make the game too painful. That may be true for other aging Baby Boomers. Sporting clays are more fun, less expensive and takes less time away from home.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2