Is Gaston Glock on the same level as John Browning?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by ticshooter, Feb 7, 2013.

1. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Great post. Gaston made Agreat gun. JMB made many. :cool:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

Except glock copied the striker fired/polymer thing. Maybe you vcould tell us what glock did FIRST, before everyone else?You seem to be of the opinion that a 1911 is a super finicky and difficult firearm. In its combat form this couldnt be further from the truth.

#122 ilgunguygt, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Gaston Glock didn't design squat. The dude that designed his gun went to design the Caracal. Gaston Glock may ow Glock, Inc. which is responsible for the pistol but he isn't a gun designer.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

4. It's as if he is trying to argue that The Chinese space program is better than anything the US did because it is newer and stole US technology

:rofl::rofl:

#124 countrygun, Feb 8, 2013
  5. ORLY?? Copied it close enough to get sued like S&W did?

Captured a large overseas military market, an LE market in the U.S.A. that he still has more than 65% of and seems to hold that position well. All of which made him very wealthy and at the same time really po's most JMB fans. Created ONE firearm that still draws more controversy/ attention than most domestic brands.

I'm sorry did you read 1911 somewhere in my post? But to answer your question I haven’t seen any combat or combat1911's in use, just the custom models that seem to be the rage these days.

6. The hi power, BAR, and 1911 aren't/weren't weapons used by large LE and military agencies?

Browning invented how weapons functioned. Far different than putting a parts kit together in a plastic frame like glock

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

7. ilgunguygt

1. what exactly does that have to do with glock being innovative? Just because someone copies your design doesnt mean that you are the extreme innovator. Look at automotive industry lawsuits. Glock has certainly done its fair share of copying, this argument goes nowhere.

2. Glock has a large market share of LE guns because they but the old ones at a generous price, offer cheap accesories, and will sell them cheaper than anyone else. It has nothing to do with being the best on the market, simply the cheapest.

3. You didnt mention 1911s? what about:
    I guess you were referring to the Ma Duece there, huh?:rofl:

Also, if you cant think of a single combat useage of the m1911a1 than the just proves your absolute ignorance of this topic. Everyone else here is having a hell of a laugh at the expense of your stupidity, and it just gets better every time you post.

#127 ilgunguygt, Feb 8, 2013
  8. The striker fired pistol design dates to around 1900. As was said polymer had been used in handguns for over a decade before glock came around. It's no comparison.

9. Please refer to post #113

JMB is awesome. Have a nice day.

10. Striker fired action from a 1930's Dreyse pistol

[​IMG]

11. Hard to believe someone is really trying to debate if favor of GG. Talk about an open and shut case.

If JMB and GG were in the prison shower.....well GG would have some soapy hands trying to pick up that bar of Zest if you know what I mean.....

12. 427

Where do you come up with your ideas about firearms? Are you reading something that's factually wrong? Are you just making things up as you go along? :dunno:

13. The problem with that contention is that every company copying Glock is also copying JMB, since the entire short recoil locked breech tilt barrel action the Glock uses was a JMB principle.

14. ilgunguygt

Shhhh, don't go using common sense on him, that wont work!:supergrin:

15. The guy is clearly a couple cans short of a 6-pack...

Somehow, he seems to think this a 1911 vs Glock debate, which is not the case.

16. ilgunguygt

EXACTLY! The 1911, while many consider the greatest handgun ever, really wasnt JMBs greatest accompishment. His machine guns and his cartridge is still the BEST in use today by military.

17. Henry Ford did not invent the horseless carriage, but he DID invent a way to make the horseless carriage affordable and accessible to most workers.

That is a type of genius not to be dismissed.

18. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Guns were affordable and accessible well before Gaston Glock ever considered getting into the gun business.

19. hoghunter82

hoghunter82 FL Glocker #182

I'll end this right now- George Kellgren is the true father of precision firearms production.

LOL !!!! Wonder how many of you are checking Wikipedia right now?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

#139 hoghunter82, Feb 9, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  20. Welcome to Glock Talk. You hit a nerve one your third post. Glaston Glock was able to bring several technologies together at the right time.

Glock is running the risk that old gun maker in the past have done such as Colt and Winchester. What have they done new? Colt had the 1911 market for decades and made the same gun the same way. They still don't checker the front strap or put in a decent trigger. You can buy a drop in trigger assembly from more than one manufacture. Maybe Colt should just buy them and put them in.

The point is Colt sat on their design while other past them buy. Look what Glock competition is doing. They are out "Glocking" Glock with their new pistols.

Many people have asked for a single stack Glock. Notice how many other pistols are offered in single stack? Now if Glock brings one out they lost those sales.

The world is full of one hit wonders, Debbie Boone and for younger GT'er the Magaraina*. If Glock doesn't get off their duff they will be a one hit gun maker.

As for John M Browning, he did more to preserve freedom for this country with his gun designs that we should have he birthday off instead of Columbus or MLK day. If I have read it right, he never charged the US government royalties for his patents. He thought it was his duty to his country.

* I have know idea of the correct spelling.

#140 Wyoming, Feb 9, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2013