Is Gaston Glock on the same level as John Browning?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by ticshooter, Feb 7, 2013.

1. And they got the idea from the Remington XP-100 which proved synthetics would work

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Gaston Glock is more accurately analogous to Henry Ford than Browning. He didn't really invent anything, he just refined existing technology into a simpler (and cheaper to produce) form using modern materials.

3. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

Really? Lets think about this(from a previous post) all of brownings designs:

Cartridges.25 ACP
    .32 ACP
    .38 ACP
    9mm Browning Long
    .380 ACP
    .45 ACP
    .50 BMG

Firearms

U.S. M1895 Colt-Browning machine gun
    FN Browning M1899/M1900
    Colt Model 1900
    Colt Model 1902
    Colt Model 1903 Pocket Hammer (.38 ACP)
    Colt Model 1903 Pocket Hammerless (.32 ACP)
    Colt Model 1905
    FN Model 1906 Vest Pocket (.25 ACP)
    Remington Model 8 (1906), a long recoil semi-automatic rifle
    Colt Model 1908 Vest Pocket (.25 ACP)
    Colt Model 1908 Pocket Hammerless (.380 ACP)
    FN Model 1910
    U.S. M1911 pistol (.45 ACP)
    Colt Woodsman pistol
    Winchester Model 1885 falling-block single shot rifle
    Winchester Model 1886 lever-action repeating rifle
    Winchester Model 1887 lever-action repeating shotgun
    Winchester Model 1890 slide-action repeating rifle (.22)
    Winchester Model 1892 lever-action repeating rifle
    Winchester Model 1894 lever-action repeating rifle
    Winchester Model 1895 lever-action repeating rifle
    Winchester Model 1897 pump-action repeating shotgun
    Browning Auto-5 long recoil semi-automatic shotgun
    Browning 22 Semi-Auto rifle
    U.S. M1917 water-cooled machine gun
    U.S. M1919 air-cooled machine gun
    U.S. M1918 Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR)
    U.S. M2 .50-caliber heavy machine gun of 1921 (the famed "Ma-Deuce" weapon)
    Remington Model 8 semi-auto rifle
    Remington Model 24 semi-auto rifle (.22) Also produced by Browning Firearms (as the SA-22) and several others
    Browning Hi-Power (Grand Puissance or GP), the standard sidearm of many military and police forces
    The Browning Superposed over/under shotgun was designed by John Browning in 1922 and entered production in 1931
    Ithaca Model 37 pump-action repeating shotgun

If you include guns designed by others, based on Browning's designs, add "all automatic and semi-automatic firearms to the list

Now, lets look at GLocks designs:

A pistol(based on a browning design) offered in multiple calibers and lengths. He did, of course, cut a little length of off a cartridge(designed by BROWNING we might add) and call it his own. That cartidge is woefully unpopular though.

Kool aid you say? No, outside of your "world of perfection" we simply call that common sense. Try it sometime.

4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Browning's guns are dishwasher safe. Can you say the same for your el cheapo foreign plastic guns?:rofl:

5. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Browning actually designed the guns himself.

What guns did Gaston Glock design? Or did he have to hire gun engineers to design the Glock pistols?

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Yeah, he wasted his time on making crappy military shovels and disposable knives.:rofl:

7. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

And before that, Colt, Remington and a host of others have used hardened resins and Bakelites for grip panels. Plastic ain't new when it comes to being used for gun parts.

8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Let's just take the M1911 design for instance, the shooter can detail strip that pistol without using any special tool at all but just parts from the gun itself.

Can somebody detail strip a Glock without using a punch or any tool at all?

9. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

I could see that analogy a lot better. Ford didnt invent the internal combustion engine, or the car, but he did make an affordable version. It was also available in your choice of colors, as long as it was black.

10. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

:rofl: You got me there. I did have to look up the right inclusive generic term.
    My first G26 with a DHR prefix was part of a 1999 batch of baby Glocks that had faulty recoil spring assemblies. The rear retaining flange on the outer spring broke and caused my G26 to start having failure to return to battery. I replaced it with a Wolff non captive set up and it has run like a top since.

I found a reference that the 19/23/32 from a certain time frame had a slide lock spring that was prone to breakage. My CSD prefix G32 had that particular spring as identified by a skimpy wasp waist. I changed it out with the beefier built newer OEM slide lock spring. With a broken slide lock a Glock will not lock up properly and the upper may be able to fly off the frame.

A broken trigger spring and you have your trigger will not set.

The firing pin portion of my friends G22 striker assembly got metal fatigue and broke off leaving his gun inoperable. That is definitely not the norm but it did happen.

I am sure that I have missed a few things that can go wrong with a Glock. And Glocks do not break often. My own experience is that they are very reliable and I trust them. Your assertion that Glocks run great with missing or broken springs and parts suggests to me that your understanding of mechanical devices is not very good.

One area where Glocks shine is ease of detail stripping and parts replacement. 1911s and Sigs are easy in that regard too.

Nylon was not developed until 1935. JMB died in 1926.

11. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

If the Glock was "Perfection" then why was there a recall on the old copper color trigger group? I had to send my First Generation G17 in for that "improvement".

12. NO!

Browning was a great firearms designer, 1911, BAR, M2, M1917, M1919, Winchester models 1892 and 1894 plus many more.

Glock is a very good business man who hired a committee to design a pistol for the Austrian army trials in 1980. All his pistols are basically variations of the same design.

13. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

The problem with your comments is that you don't seem to understand the fundamentals of firearm design and function, not to mention history. It's like my wife commenting on 2-stroke vs. 4-stroke engines (the 4 stroke has more small parts to lose and is more complicated, so the 2-stroke must be better).

14. Agreed.^^^
    Could you just imagine what JMB would have come up with if he had todays computer technology and machinery. As far as I'm concerned GG isn''t even on the same level as Eugene Stoner, Mikhail Kalashnikov,Samuel Colt or John Garand much less JMB.

#94 Bob Hafler, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  15. michael_b

michael_b BRC #1492

I thought is was the Remington Nylon 66- that came out in the very late 50's.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

16. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

:rofl:

17. Mr. Bubits comes to mind. Probably could have took the Glock pistol to the next level were it not for G.G.'s resistance.

18. Boats

Boats Not Assimilated

The Henry Ford/Glock parallel has one more stripe.

Ford was a notorious anti-Semite. Glock was a Nazi.

The OP's original comparative question is beyond obtuse and is borderline retarded.

19. That's not fair! My Glock can go in the dishwasher, it's stamped on the inside of the grip well "Dishwasher Safe-Top Rack Only!" :rofl: