Is Gaston Glock on the same level as John Browning?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by ticshooter, Feb 7, 2013.

1. :rofl::rofl:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. With all due respect to Gaston, I believe John Browning to be unsurpassed by anyone ever in this field...

Go through Browning's achievement and products concieved by his own mind and built by his own hands, and you can find a group of guns to handle any need from small game, to african dangerous, to shooting down enemy aircraft...

I don't belive their is a firearm designer even to this day that doesn't have a John M. Browning portrait tattooed on at least one butt cheek..

3. Haldor

Haldor Retired EE

Nope. Glock has designed basically one pistol. Changing the caliber, barrel or grip length does not make it a new weapon. He did design a good one (or at least whoever he hired did), but that doesn't begin to compare with Brownings contributions to weapons design.

4. Without John Browning, there would be no Glock pistol.

5. Well said

6. But didn't some of his lever and pump action rifle designs do just that?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

7. What has GG done since the G17? Honestly nothing but shorten this our that part. Great design no doubt but it is just that, a single design.

JMB......Taking away the 1911 (which I personally believe was designed by the Almighty himself and not JMB!) JMB still has this bad boy in his corner among many many others.

[​IMG]

This alone rockets him past GG in firearms design. Almost 100 years old and still the king of MGs in todays world. :)

GG may or may not still have his designs still in use 100 years after their design, JMB has several still in use, and not going anywhere soon. :)

8. Note the "At the same time..."

He could never get his semi designs to do it, no matter how hard he tried.

9. Interesting side note on Gaston Glock; It is said that he test fired his G1, G2, G3 etc etc, with his left hand in case of catastrophic failure.
    Even a curtain rod maker with a chip on his shoulder should have been able to figure out a remote firing system. But so goes the tale...

10. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

Not really. Glock missed making the first plastic firearm by many years. Everyone talks about innovation, but it wasnt really that innovative.

11. Don't believe everything you hear on the errornet.

12. RyanSBHF

RyanSBHF Senior Member

He also designed the .45 GAP. That round really changed the pistol world, didn't it? :rofl:

13. Certainly not. Your fan boy brain just exploded.

14. Very true ;)

15. GG did not invent the polymer pistol. HK built the designed the first polymer frame pistol a good decade before.

16. Yes I know. He did build the first widely popular polymer handgun though.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

17. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

:rofl: Very succinct. :wavey:

18. Very true, but he shouldn't be mentioned inthe same sentence as JMB.

19. :upeyes:

The Kool Aid flows both ways here I see.