close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Is Gaston Glock on the same level as John Browning?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by ticshooter, Feb 7, 2013.

1. caraker0341

caraker0341

Feb 26, 2012
    New Mexico
    Legend has it that Piers Morgan hates the 1911....

2. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Why did we bring this back again? :dunno:

It was dead for a month.

3. cobalt327

cobalt327 WFO

Mar 22, 2013
    SE of Atlanta
    Unfortunately there will likely never be another JMB. That said, GG has made an important contribution that will remain an icon for the ages. But comparing the two is an apples to oranges exercise IMHO.

Perhaps an interesting comparison would be GG vs. Mikhail Kalashnikov.

4. Andrewsky

Andrewsky

May 28, 2004
    Actually, if I recall correctly, Maxim invented recoil operation and Browning invented gas operation.

5. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    Correct IIRC as well

6. uspsgunnut

uspsgunnut

Apr 17, 2011
    Central KY
    I have several Glocks, because I can afford them, my Brownings are preciuous and few, <10. Comparing Gaston to Browning is like comparing Vanilla Ice to the Stones/Elvis/Beatles/Elton. Gaston PERFECTED his vision in the first iteration, limited as it may be, it defines the product!!! Polymer, mass produced, uses others designs.
    JMB was a genius that will never be matched.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  7. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Yeah, I was just about to bring this thread back from the dead myself. :upeyes:

8. GlockFanWA

GlockFanWA

Sep 9, 2012
    Washington
    Especially when it is something new and insightful to add to the dialogue.

9. brisk21

brisk21

May 13, 2008
    Michigan
    Is Buster Douglas on the same level as Ali? A one trick pony, that had major help from the Steyr guy, made one design. Albeit an all time great, game changing design that many have successfully copied. JMB single handedly invented many many excellent designs that are used today, over 100 years later. This is one of the silliest questions I've seen on Gtalk.

10. To answer THAT question, simply compare the firearms patents and amonut of those patents of JMB to those of Herr Glock.

CB in FL...BTW - Herr Glock uses a modified Browning lock up system in his design...the same type of locking system JMB was forced to use as he was designing what became known as the BHP...at the time of that work in progress his -patent for the swinging link system that he'd used on the 1911 was owned by Colt -the patent was scheduled to expire in 1927, so he needed to devise a newer way of unlocking the barrel to the slide and devised the camming system to perform that function.

11. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
  12. DEADEYEGUY

DEADEYEGUY

Aug 22, 2009
    No. Mr. Browning invented several different pistols that changed the World. Add to that Machine Guns and Shotguns he came up with and he developed multiple systems that changed the World. Gaston's gun was innovative. But basically it is one platform that is changed in one way or another to accomodate different calibers. Not even close to Mr. Browning's accomplishments.

13. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    They're on the same level the way John J. Loud (first guy to patent the ballpoint pen) is on the same level as Thomas Edison or Alexander Graham Bell.

Hedy Lamarr (yes, the actress.. not hedly) was as significant an inventor as Gaston Glock...and she was hot.

By that, I mean it's a silly question.

14. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I'm not sure what that means, but I have a suspicion you are saying you like Vanilla Ice better than Elvis.

15. DEADEYEGUY

DEADEYEGUY

Aug 22, 2009
    p.s. By the way if you doubt what I am saying just look at the Glock pistols. They use a modified form of Brownings tilt action system to operate. So their is a bit of Mr. Browning in Gaston's gun. Not knocking Gaston. Why reinvent the wheel? Since most auto's use some from of the Mr. Browning's system to work why break from a proven system? Good move on Glocks part.

16. Ruggles

Ruggles

Jun 13, 2005
    Tejas
    "The M2 .50 MG has been in use longer than any other small arm in U.S. inventory except the .45 ACP M1911 pistol, also designed by John Browning."

Winner : JMB by a mile....

17. DonD

DonD

Dec 21, 2001
    Central TX
    Piers Morgan, the DORK doesn’t understand the 2nd Amendment and dislikes all firearms in private hands. More precisely, he’s liberal Brit who simply doesn’t understand our culture.

Don’t let the door hit you in the a-- on the way back to the UK Piers. Don :upeyes:

18. method

method

Mar 27, 2002
    Cleveland, OH
    Did you read any of this stupid thread? Most here are well aware of Browning's accomplishments and influence.