close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is Gaston Glock on the same level as John Browning?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by ticshooter, Feb 7, 2013.

1. m2hmghb

m2hmghb
    Expand Collapse

BTW from what I've seen the M14 was somewhat less reliable then the M1 Garand.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. rgregoryb

rgregoryb
    Expand Collapse
    Sapere aude

Gaston Glock
    [​IMG]

John M Browning
    [​IMG]

3. AgentM79

AgentM79
    Expand Collapse
    Platinum Member

J.M. Browning is the greatest gun designer in history. The Glock safe-action pistol, by virtue of it's SUCCESSFUL combination of innovative/revolutionary features, is one of the greatest handguns in history. Right up there with JMB's 1911 and the S&W M&P revolver action (1899!).

Gaston Glock is an "idea man" who was in the right place at the right time. He had a successful plastics factory, a collection of great ideas from gun knowledgeable people, and a design team which put it all together in time to win the Austrian military contract. And, to be "stateside" in the US just in time for the start of LE's transition from revolver to semi-auto.

Even those who drink the hater-aid have to admit the Glock safe-action is nothing short of amazing. But even the best designs won't succeed unless a market is waiting to receive them. Glock couldn't have timed it better.

The "safe-action" pistol absolutely rates with the best of JMB's designs. But Gaston Glock made a different contribution to firearm's history than JMB did. Glock was highly influential by virtue of one product and his ability to insert it into the marketplace. J.M. Browning's work advanced the firearm's field into the modern era, and his designs remain in use worldwide long after his passing.

4. countrygun

countrygun
    Expand Collapse

Since I have seen so many of Gaston's concepts that are surely influenced by much older designs, I can't help but wonder if his "safe action" wasn't influenced by the .35 S&W auto that, because of its proprietary cartridge was a little known failure for S&W.

They moved the grip safety to the front of the grip frame, below the trigger guard, Gaston had his designers move it to the trigger.

Not saying it was a technical copy, but I don't think the Glock design came to him from nowhere.

5. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

I wouldn't bet on that...

6. RWBlue

RWBlue
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

Assuming we took two new rifles out and abused them....no real difference.

Assuming we took to new rifles and ran them properly until they died...no real difference.

Assuming we took two new rifles and accurized them to shoot matches...the M14 should be slightly more accurate and run slightly better.

7. railfancwb

railfancwb
    Expand Collapse

8. Pier23

Pier23
    Expand Collapse
    Silver Member

A very good assessment...I don't think we can remove the innovator from his/ear time. Who has had the greater impact: Thomas Edison or Bill Gates? Well, Gates would not have been without Edison, but society has advanced more quickly with Gates.

In a sense, the Browning/Glock question, while a fascinating and fun Internet debate, is comparing two disimilarities.

9. countrygun

countrygun
    Expand Collapse

Crap.

You are living in a bubble surrounded by the greatness of your own time, in your mind.

Electricity did more that the computer has done. "Advanced" really? Compared to entire manufacturing centers being developed, mass production being made possible on a huge scale. Computers have made existing technologies faster and have made some feasible that wouldn't be but remember we got to the moon without Bill Gates.

They really don't teach history well in schools anymore, perhaps it is because they don't want to hurt little Johnny's feelings by putting his era/generation in perspective.

As it relates to guns, there is no comparison between JMBs lifespan and GGs lifespan. The changes that Browning witnessed were truly gigantic. Since the Glock pistol was developed? Not so much.

No, you really DON'T understand how much Edison, Tesla, and their contemporaries changed the world. You need some history classes.

10. countrygun

countrygun
    Expand Collapse

I have to say that Glock made a pistol that field strips very easy,

[​IMG]

11. mongo356

mongo356
    Expand Collapse

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1458366_.html

just to add fire.

Apparently his gun isn't the only thing country about him. So far all I see from his education is the ability to brown nose and call people stupid if you have a different view than him. After watching this thread it apparently brings out several minions. I think they have a political party carved out under those views.............

#371 mongo356, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  12. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

I was actually hoping this thread would just die...

13. jakebrake

jakebrake
    Expand Collapse
    cracker

you. me, everyone else.

look. if you want a glock, fine...buy one

if you want a 1911, buy one.

the end.

14. countrygun

countrygun
    Expand Collapse

Could you point out what the link to another forum has to do with anything.

I am sorry you do not know the difference between "ignorant" and "stupid", again the educational system has failed.

15. Batesmotel

Batesmotel
    Expand Collapse

Don't underestimate the cult of St. Gaston.

16. caraker0341

caraker0341
    Expand Collapse

There is a difference between smack talking and being a phallus. Heavy handed replies with no finesse should be sent directly to ARF.com. Thank you for your cooperation.

17. caraker0341

caraker0341
    Expand Collapse

18. RMTactical

RMTactical
    Expand Collapse
    www.AR15pro.net
    CLM

JMB is untouchable IMO, the amount of designs, patents, longevity, etc... nobody comes close. Nobody.

I love my Glocks. Not a big fan of the gen 4 though.

#378 RMTactical, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  19. Pier23

Pier23
    Expand Collapse
    Silver Member

Oh, having read some of your responses, I think we know the failures of the educational system pretty well now.

Along with others, I am ready to let this topic die. Rational discourse died some time back.

20. caraker0341

caraker0341
    Expand Collapse

Why do the people who want to kill this thread keep posting?