Is Gaston Glock on the same level as John Browning?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by ticshooter, Feb 7, 2013.

1. That might have been a stretch, but he did say "may have" changed the outcome, due to the great designs.

It surely didn't hurt, I'll say that.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Obviously that is a picture from space of a Glock 20 being fired.

3. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I'm surprised that you know so little about WW II that you post the mushroom cloud and think that supports what you said.

4. What I said was in response to 21Tango's simplistic notion that Browning designed weapons may have effected the outcome of WWII. My equally simplistic answer was to exemplify that other factors played a greater role and had profound consequence to shape the outcome of the war. Sorry not to include Allied battle strategies in Europe/North African campaign, the Soviet and Polish contributions and the Western Pacific naval victories and yes the atomic bomb.

But since you've judged my lack of knowledge, I would welcome your rendition of WWII history that supports 21Tango's notion that Browning designed weapons shaped the wars outcome.

5. Well, you could start out with the fact that nearly every "gun" on every American aircraft, fighter, bomber, etc was a Browning design. As was the "Quad .50 anti-aircraft gun.

The BAR shaped squad tactics, and the use of the .30 Browning can't be overlooked at the infantry level.

6. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo
    Millennium Member

You really should read Stephen Ambrose's "Citizen Soldiers".

7. SC Tiger

SC Tiger EL GATO!

Here's the thing - the design that most people associate with Browning - the 1911 - may have been one of the least significant weapons he developed from a historical (ie "changing the results of a battle or war") perspective.

Think about how important the rest of them must have been then!

#247 SC Tiger, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  8. Herman Goring said if he had been able to equip his planes with the Browning 50 cal machine guns, they would have won the battle of Britain.

#248 Batesmotel, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  9. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Yep. For the M1911 and M1911A1, you need nothing to break the gun down in detail other what's supplied with the gun.

10. jakebrake

jakebrake cracker

well, opposable thumbs help, but i digress.

11. Thats nice- reminds me of another American company from a long time ago. Harley Davidson use to have an ad "An engine so simple you could overhaul it alongside the road"..........that’s good because many times you had too.

Strange my Glocks don't seem to need that 3/16" punch very often.

12. Yeah, stick with your Glocks.

They're real simple for beginners. :whistling:

13. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Liberal Bane

Q) Is Gaston Glock on the same level as John Browning?

A) No.

14. The Browning was designed for service men who were capable of disassembling the gun to clean or repair it in the field.

The Glock was designed for those who weren't.

15. Not that it will matter at this point but you do know that Glock made the fastest machine pistol on the PLANET right???

16. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Liberal Bane

You are correct. Doesn't matter.

17. Who cares? What use does it have?

BTW, Gaston himself didn't design squat in the firearms world.

18. Thing is that if JMB's designs were any more successful in WWII there might just not be any designs by GG today :whistling:

Regardless of what you think JMB's designs impact was on WWI or WWII the fact is his designs were knee deep in each war, and many since. What wars have any of GG's designs even been involved in to impact?

So.....battle tested firearm designs....point to JMB. :wavey:

19. The Beretta 93 is sooo much sweeter than a Glock 18 :tongueout:

Faster means squat in a machine pistol IMO.

20. 1911austin

1911austin Senior Member

Not even close.