Is Gaston Glock on the same level as John Browning?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by ticshooter, Feb 7, 2013.

1. How unbelievably stupid is this post? What are you trying to imply with "yes"? Are you saying Gaston is at the same level? Are you talking a Glock versus 1911 or GG versus JMB?

Since you turned it into a 1911 versus Glock debate, I'll try to make a real simple point so that you may be able to understand it...

Glocks are built by one company. 1911s are built by dozens of companies, each with different levels of quality and quality control. Glock can barely get it right sometimes even being the sole builder.

Too many posters in this thread are either too ignorant or just too stupid to know that the question is ridiculous.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. jakebrake

jakebrake cracker

:rofl::rofl::rofl: you owe me a keyboard:rofl::rofl::rofl:

3. Just proof you should stay clear of those who worship at the high alter of the cult of St. Glock.
  4. Gaston has made one gun design. He had help from the guy who designed Steyr pistols. He also used Brownings tilting barrel design. Browning designed dozens and dozens of excellent pistols, rifles, and shotguns by himself. That pretty much says it all.
  5. This. Glock so far is a one trick pony. It is an excellent trick, but doesn't hold a candle to Browning's prolific genius.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
  6. He didn't. He was an employee at Springfield Armory.

I do remember reading a news paper article that the US Government paid him $100,000 for the M1. If I remember this was when I still lived in Ohio so pre 1980. I can't remember all the details but I think he sued and this was his settlement.

Maybe some other GTer can update us
  7. You could say the same thing about High-Point, but at least they manage to make a carbine
  8. :rofl:
  9. hoghunter82

hoghunter82 FL Glocker #182

A lot of emotion around the topic it seems. I'd be willing to bet that if we all stated our ages that there would be more under 30 folks praising GG than JB. Not saying everyone by rule, but for those who grew up on striker fired safe action pistols there tends to be no relation to history. Just like when I'm playing my 80s music and my kids look at me like I'm from another planet. They don't appreciate or recognize the music I grew up on. Just as when my parents played that Elvis or 50s crap that i don't appreciate (sorry Elvis fans, Kentucky Rain is the only Elvis song i wont immediately turn off). So to many in the firearms world a hammer fired operating system seems antiquated. I know I felt that way until I discovered HK and CZ.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
    #189 hoghunter82, Feb 10, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  10. Gaston Glock is obviously a very smart businessman. Brilliant may not be too strong a word. But he really didn't design anything completely new. He improved, with help, on some previous ideas and marketed those improvements with absolutely amazing success.

But John Browning was, without question, a brilliant firearms designer, head and shoulders above even the other great ones...Colt, Wesson, Garand, Williams, Savage, Thompson, etc., etc. ...most of whom had one or two enduring designs. Browning had so many it's not easy to catalog them all. Gaston Glock is not in the same league as the rest of these men as a designer. He may be a better businessman than most of them, or even all of them. But he's not even in the same conversation as a designer/inventor.
    #190 TxGun, Feb 10, 2013
  11. The is only ONE feature of the Glock that was a new design innovation at the time...ONE. (Do you even know what it is/was?) Everything else of the design was nothing more than taking other proven design innovations (from firearms designers like JMB).

No, Gaston Glock is not and never ever will be even remotely close to the same level as John Browning.
  12. If you are referring to the safety on the trigger (brake pedal on the accelerator) I would swear that somewhere in the distant past I saw a much older antiquated design that had that feature, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was.
  13. Man I love these threads. One little statement and off we go:)

JMB is as good as GG.
  14. GG is a joke in comparison. When you grow up, you'll figure that out.

15. jakebrake

jakebrake cracker

ok, John Moses Browning made a product that didn't exist. he had no pattern to work off of. he, hiram maxim, mikhail kalashnikov, eugene stoner, etc. they made a radically different product that turned the firearms world on it's ear.

Granted, John Moses made a lot more of them

Gaston Glock really didn't do anything all that radical. He went off of existing designs and products. he marketed well. that's about it.
    #195 jakebrake, Feb 10, 2013
  16. I think he made that statement to elicit a response just like that.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
  17. not in the slightest.

18. I wouldn't say a joke. He designed one of the most popular, most copied pistols ever. "Glock" has become lamens term for handgun. There is Glock and everything else that is compared to it.
  19. jakebrake

jakebrake cracker

i added what's in italics.
    #199 jakebrake, Feb 10, 2013
  20. Bruce M

I agree. Probably not epic but definitely good entertainment.