Is Federal LE Tactical HST 230gr +P a Good SD Round???

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Doughnutman_923, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this round? Is it a good loading/choice for defense?

It would be even better if that experience was with a Glock21. (Feeding/cycling)

I took a leap of faith and bought 200 rounds of it at my LGS, never even seen it on the shelves in there before.

I have some Remington Golden Sabers and Hornady XTP's. (Which I know are good rounds) just curious about this one in particular.

Thanks for the info!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Federal Premium LE Tactical 12 shotgun ammunition buckshot and slugs Misc. Gun Stuff Nov 10, 2014
    Federal Premium Tactical bonded 230 +p .45 auto Caliber Corner Jul 14, 2014
    Critical Duty or Federal Tactical HST Caliber Corner Oct 14, 2013
    Federal Tactical Bonded - Speer Gold Dot Caliber Corner Dec 24, 2012
    165gr 40 S&W Federal Tactical Bonded Gel Test Caliber Corner Dec 8, 2012

3. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

HST is a great bullet and boringly uncontroversial in its performance.

Wish they sold them as a component.

4. Doughnutman_923,

These folks did a pretty good job or testing this round, well worth a look see.

[ame=""]Hog's Head Ballistics - Federal HST .45 ACP 230gr+P - YouTube[/ame]

I have two friends who really like this round and one of them uses this a his EDC round, and both are shooting this round out of G21's.

I hope this helps - Good luck and be safe
  5. Much appreciated!
    #4 Doughnutman_923, Mar 11, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  6. barth

barth six barrels

IMHO Winchester Ranger T-Series, Federal HST and Speer GDHP
    are some of the best SD ammo you can buy.

I have boxes of 230 gr +P Ranger T and HST for my HK45C.
    #5 barth, Mar 11, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  7. Warp

It's a good round, and a good choice.

I have put 100+ through my G21SF so far.

My preference for duty caliber semi auto self defense right now is Speer Gold Dot or Federal HST.
  8. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

HST 230+P is what's loaded in my HK45. From what I've seen, it's the best of the best of non-bonded hollow point ammo on the marked right now.
  9. It seems to me that you now have three excellent JHP self-defense rounds for your G-21.
  10. M 7

M 7

It's an excellent JHP and I'd hazard to say one of the best.
  11. My favorite .45 acp
  12. cadillacguns

Millennium Member

I have two 50 rd boxes to give my brother a Hazel Park MI PD Cop, for his G-30SF, anybody use/carry these in a Baby Glock .45?
  13. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

A 230gr JHP at 900 FPS is a real champion load. If I were carrying a .45 this would be my factory load.
  14. The agency I work for has issued the Federal 230 grain HST+P for use in Glock 21 pistols for the past five years. So far, the officers have reported no problems with this combination and it is a stout load as well. Good stuff.
  15. I have never had a problem with HST in any .45 I have tried it in- 1911, glock or otherwise.

I load my ccw guns with HST only. Have used Gold Dots but I can find HSTs locally easily.
  16. HST's are the best thing since sliced bread. Havn't tried them in .45 but in .40 and .357 they rock.
  17. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

I'll bet that the penetration is great!
  18. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

When they become available again, you have to try some! The +P is loaded rather hot and you won't believe the expansion. My testing yielded a bit more expansion than the test video but there again, I didn't shoot it into a hogs head.

HST IMHO is the best bullet design on the market right now. It's definitely the ammo to have in your gun. I don't want to take anything away from the Ranger T-Series or the Speer Gold Dot loads as they are fantastic in their own right.

The Federal HST takes the cake and I love cake!

19. I've shot them in my 5" Les Baer (approx. 980fps) and currently carry them in my G36 (850fps). Funtion well and expansion is pretty awesome even out of the short barrel in the 36
  20. Try Rocky Mountain Reloading. Occasionally he sells pulled HSTs in several calibers. I've bought 40 and 45acp HSTs from him in addition to some other bullets. Good seller. Google Rocky Mountain Reloading to find his website.

Since I'm here, I've had no problems with the 230 gr HST +p in my RIA 1911 CS. That's the load I use when I carry that gun.
  21. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

My next gun may be a G36.