close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is Body Armor part of your preps?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by RMTactical, Mar 8, 2012.

1. RMTactical

RMTactical
    Expand Collapse
    www.AR15pro.net
    CLM

Where can one obtain some decent body armor at a good price?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. LASTRESORT20

LASTRESORT20
    Expand Collapse
    LongTerm-Guy

Like to have some ....here is one place I have been Looking...There are many...But I like this one.

http://bulletproofme.com/

3. MoneyMaker

MoneyMaker
    Expand Collapse

Why all my rifle rounds will penetrate your vest.LOL

4. RMTactical

RMTactical
    Expand Collapse
    www.AR15pro.net
    CLM

So what you are saying is that you are going to attack me, and you don't own any handguns, pistol caliber carbines, shotguns, or .22's, etc...

Thanks for the warning.

I hope you realize that some armor can protect against rifle rounds and also more importantly that most gun fights take place with handguns...

#4 RMTactical, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  5. farmer-dave

farmer-dave
    Expand Collapse

I think armor has it's place for home defence, and perhaps bugging out by vehicle, but it get's pretty heavy if doing anything by foot. us palm is another spot to google.

#5 farmer-dave, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  6. arclight610

arclight610
    Expand Collapse

Yes, I have soft armor and rifle plates for both me and my wife. How else am I going to loot without dying?

7. bdcochran

bdcochran
    Expand Collapse

Should probably have a sticky on this.

1. Regardless of the "protection level", purchase body armor to fit you. One size does not fit all.

2. Do not gain weight! Ever.

3. If the armor is damaged, toss it - the integrity is compromised.

4. Armor does not cover much beyond the torso of the body - so don't assume that because you have body armor, you are protected.

5. If a round hits hard enough on the body armor at the right spot, you will have broken pieces of rib tossed back through your body.

6. If you decide that you want to buy it, then decide that you are going to really wear it. This means wear it when you go to the public range, to the private outdoor range and when you go hunting with buddies. Believe it, this is when people are accidentally shot.

7. Figure that if shtf, your head is going to be exposed more frequently than the rest of your body. Establish a priority of obtaining a decent helmet that fits you before considering buying body armor.

8. It probably is impossible to test drive before purchasing, but be aware of the following:
    a. body armor will probably interfere with your waist carry of magazines or a holstered pistol unless you deliberately buy short armor (and which probably defeats the purpose).
    b. you are going to tire more easily;
    c. you will have to regulate heat build up and/or obtain appropriate undergarments.
    d. you may have to re-think your outer garments and carrying of a pack.

9. Remember that most body armor is ineffective against a knife or ice pick.

8. LASTRESORT20

LASTRESORT20
    Expand Collapse
    LongTerm-Guy

Ohhhhh...My!:rofl:

9. MoneyMaker

MoneyMaker
    Expand Collapse

How many rounds do you think that armor would withstand before it failed,will you be able to replace after every fire fight?And if one is trained properly guess what 2 to the chest 1 to the head,so its not gonna help you with a trained person,What if badguy is toting a slug gun,can you withstand the 1st shot to take aim and follow up and get him before he gets you after trying to recover?Close range even with body armor against a normal gold dot or fmj duty round is probably still gonna cost you your life as i dont see the normal human taking the hit and recovering fast enough to shoot said bad guy before he gets off another few shots,Sorry my opinion and a waste of money.

10. MoneyMaker

MoneyMaker
    Expand Collapse

+1 that is true so true

11. arclight610

arclight610
    Expand Collapse

Level 4 hard plates are designed to take 6 hits from a .308 class rifle. They also stop AP. If you should someone in the hard plate with a pistol, it won't even phase them.

Soft armor? Maybe so. Soft armor would stop a slug, but it would probably still cause massive internal damage.

If body armor is such a waste of money, why does the military use it?

12. RMTactical

RMTactical
    Expand Collapse
    www.AR15pro.net
    CLM

Sounds like I am already dead...

13. lawman800

lawman800
    Expand Collapse
    Juris Glocktor

I have soft armor and I am looking into a plate carrier but not in a rush to buy those things unless I come across some for a good deal. Not a top priority for me really because I wear one everyday in uniform and they are hot, bulky, and uncomfortable no matter how much the manufacturers tout the newest generation of thin and squishy material. It still sucks to wear and move around in.

14. kirgi08

kirgi08
    Expand Collapse
    Southern Rogue.
    Silver Member

No they won't.

Troll he is.Take a look at his/her S/P post history.

How many rounds do you think that armor would withstand before it failed,will you be able to replace after every fire fight?

Why yes we can

And if one is trained properly guess what 2 to the chest 1 to the head,so its not gonna help you with a trained person,What ifA bad guy is toting a slug gun,can you withstand the 1st shot to take aim and follow up and get him before he gets you after trying to recover?

Does your logistics provide enough ammo for yer excursion? As ta yer next yer next,your assuming overwhelming focused force.In a firefight I'd reckon that's at least 3 ta 1 odds based on a 5 man fire team.So you can logistically 3Bs 15 trained folk ta "eliminate "tangos" in an area you "control"?

Close range even with body armor against a normal gold dot or fmj duty round is probably still gonna cost you your life as i dont see the normal human taking the hit and recovering fast enough to shoot said bad guy before he gets off another few shots,Sorry my opinion and a waste of money.

My first thought is you've never heard shots fired in anger,my second is you've never been shot.If you could field a force recon/seal/delta/green beret/sas/sbs/GSG9/ team ect,you might be right.

Although,In reading your posts and the derision you ascribe ta all S/P folk youse be a troll.I've heard shots fired in anger and got the scares ta prove it,I left as an lowly E6 and have my Airborne Ranger tab and my CIB.

Your disregard for folk that are trying ta make their families lives better is a slap in the face off all Americans,not only those alive now,those that have passed before us.'08.

#15 kirgi08, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  15. Airhasz

Airhasz
    Expand Collapse

If I lived in a major city like Detroit, etc....I would wear one all the time....every night on news several citizens shot in torso on the streets and in cars and shooting up houses. I live in the country...no gangs cause small population can't support drug corners..lol

16. lawman800

lawman800
    Expand Collapse
    Juris Glocktor

lots of gangs in small towns, all over, there ain't anywhere safe no more from gangs

17. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk
    Expand Collapse

for the people that posted useful information. thank you. i dont know about the op, but i found the information nice.

for the people that made posts about the armor just being wasted money and time. that is pretty much what you are doing.

the whole point of body armor is at least a second chance. whatever level of armor in acquired ( if its worn ) it is more than nothing. bruises and broken ribs are better than bullet wounds.

18. lawman800

lawman800
    Expand Collapse
    Juris Glocktor

Armor has its uses but unless you have practiced and trained with it regularly and know how it feels to walk around all day with one on, you will be in for a very unpleasant surprise when it comes time to wear one all the time.

19. kirgi08

kirgi08
    Expand Collapse
    Southern Rogue.
    Silver Member

Does jogging count,if not my mastiffs won again.'08.