close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Is anyone using a RV or Trailer for BOL

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by houseflipper, Nov 11, 2012.

1. houseflipper

houseflipper

Jul 21, 2012
    PA
    I'm really curious if you think a mobile BOL would be a good idea. I guess the main issue would be getting out before the roads become impassable.
    I often worry of being cut off from a fixed location.If you have to fight your way home to get everyone then BO the roads could be a mess.
    The amount of people and items that need to be moved you might have to tow some kind of trailer anyway so I'm thinking why not one with all the creature comforts built in.

2. CharlieDelta127

CharlieDelta127

Sep 10, 2012
    I vote trailer over RV any day of the week.

Worst comes to worst, you can ditch the trailer (minus supplies of course) and go on about your business.

3. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR Silver Member

Nov 11, 2001
    Utah
    We have a trailer that could be used this way. But it's not really our intention to do so unless it is absolutely necessary.

First choice is to stay in place. Only in the event of an evacuation order will we take the trailer. I think (or rather hope) there will be some less traveled back roads that will allow us to exit the area quickly if needed.

4. F350

F350

Feb 3, 2005
    The Wyoming Plains
    Got an F350 dully 4X4, tires are a bit more off road than on road and have an 11 foot slide in camper; I have been places you will never see in a motor home or trailer, and if I have to I can shed it in 5 min.

5. I Shooter

I Shooter

Dec 22, 2011
    Indiana
    We have a 32' travel trailer that if ordered to leave it will be going with us. The only problem I have is we plan to stay home. That is where all our stuff is. Our trailer is stocked for a month of use. Our house is stocked for a year of use.

6. It's an option, yes. We plan to stay right here, but if needed, we can roll in one of the TT's, no problem. They are usually stocked with a weeks worth of everything at a bare minimum anyways.

7. PaulMason

PaulMason

Feb 10, 2010
    You better be in place before the general public is on the road. The roads will be a mess and gas stations dry.

8. BR549

BR549 Thread Killer

Jan 18, 2008
    I have no problem with the use of such as a "temporary shelter" at the BOL if preplaced at BOL.

However, I would not choose it as the BOV except possibly for early BO due to a hurricane.

It all depends on the nature of the event(s) for which you are planning and the size of the RV.

I'd rather use the RV as a "recreational vehicle".

I currently own three of these. I've taken these for some pretty expeditious hunting, fourwheeling, kayaking, skiing, and fishing. They are not set up for what most people call RVing. I carry the kayaks on top and the bikes/ATVs/motorcycles go in the trailer. If I'm using a truck without a shell instead of with a shell or a Jeep, another two MX bikes or another ATV can go in the bed of the truck.

http://www.livinlite.com/VRV-floorplans.php

Then again, I've also "lived" out of a Jeep/truck, off of a boat/kayak/canoe, off of a motorcycle/ATV, and out of a backpack. It's nice having options, and remember.....

...an option can remain very minimalist while at the same time being VERY adequate. You can do some serious recreation with very little. Get out there and DO fun things this way before spending too much money on things that sit in the driveway that you 'hope' will get it done. Start small, rent and test, camp out of a truck. Find out what you really want and need before making the large capital investment.

I would be happy to explain some of my methods if you have any questions.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  9. sebecman

sebecman

Jun 13, 2008
    Maine
    I have an older Ford RV with a 460CI engine. It gets 8 miles to the gallon.

For that reason, it doesn't factor much in my bug out plans.

Then again, it would have to be pretty extreme to get us to bug out.

10. humanguerrilla

humanguerrilla

Jul 25, 2006
    the woods
  11. uptomyneck

uptomyneck

Apr 7, 2012
    Plus it has a built in generator, solar and batteries. 40 gallons of fresh water, ac/dc/propane fridge/freezer, full head and galley.

With the 55 gallon tank on the dually, it's got an 800 mile range.

It's one back-up plan. When you're in the camper, it's hard to believe that you're in the back of a pick-up.
    [​IMG]

12. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Oct 28, 1999
    Blue Planet
    We used our travel trailer a couple times when power went out for a couple days. We have traveled all over the country in it for two-three weeks at a time. As such we learned a lot about where to go and stay. I am leaving tomorrow to use it for deer hunting for 10 days in northern Michigan. So yeah, it is a good portable BOL IMO.

13. Devans0

Devans0

Oct 26, 2011
    Another vote for slide in camper on a 4x4 truck. It can be used and gets you out to where you want to go. Off load the camper and you have a truck that blends in and works. Mine is a starter camper. It gets the job done but if I were to do it again, I would get the Lance.

14. wjv

wjv

Jan 17, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Have a camper (28 foot trailer)
    Have property 2.5 hours away with septic & water that we could head to.

Would only do it as a last resort

15. houseflipper

houseflipper

Jul 21, 2012
    PA
    This would be exactly what I would need to do.

16. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    This is very appealing as a bug out vehicle. You seriously get almost 15 MPG though, in that configuration?

17. NecoDude

NecoDude

Mar 22, 2011
    No Name City...
    Plan is to pull my pop-up to the BOL as a backup. Can drop it easily if need be but would hate to. It's light weight, hauls a bunch of gear/rations. But it has some drawbacks that make it only a backup for long term housing.

18. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Jan 24, 2004
    I would like to have a truck camper, but.....

19. BR549

BR549 Thread Killer

Jan 18, 2008
    Here's how I do it.

I use a 4x4 Diesel (sometimes with an 8' bed, sometimes with 6'+ bed) with camper shell. My shell of choice has a "walk-in" rear door lockable from inside, a boot for the front window so that I can reach from cab to bed, sliding side windows with screens, and roof rack for kayaks. I use a portable shower and cook/eat/dress outside. I've done this so much, I'm sure I have the answer for almost any question you have.

Some would consider this "roughing it", but I think it's so much fun because "less is more". It's so much less complicated, easier to maintain, less to consider, easy to just pick-up-and-go. :supergrin:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  20. uptomyneck

uptomyneck

Apr 7, 2012
    In the mountains, I get 12 mpg. On a fairly level highway, it's 15-16 mpg at 60 mph. The truck weighs close to 8k pounds loaded and the camper weighs almost 5k.

The Cummins 5.9 is a very efficient powerplant.