Is anyone as obsessed as me?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Adamz04, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Okay I have to admit that I am online everyday reading up and pricing ammo. I'm obsessed with finding the latest and greatest ammo and watching test videos. I don't buy to often but look almost everyday. Always trying to find that perfect carry ammo with the highest velocity and most energy. I feel like its become a problem. My ammo stockpile seems to be gaining more defensive ammo than range ammo.

Does any one else look at ammo that frequently?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Did anyone just watch Rick Perry response on FOX? Political Issues Yesterday at 3:04 PM
    Gun control groups urging people to call police on anyone who is carrying Gun-Control Issues Wednesday at 3:06 AM
    ....Anyone enjoy the Metal Detecting hobby? The Okie Corral Tuesday at 11:35 PM
    Anyone interested in saving $ on grip decals? Tactics and Training Tuesday at 1:26 AM
    Does anyone use Gripforce grip adapters? General Glocking Monday at 6:43 PM

3. Certainly not me.

4. I'm a bit obsessed with evaluating carry ammo. Caliber, weight, velocity... I don't really care. It's results that I look for.

5. I think ammo performance is more important than most people think. I have done a lot of research and found it doesn't get much better than Gold Dot and HST. so I have settled on those two and bought enough for stash at a good price. now I occasionally add to stock but I don't shoot premium SD ammo much. but obsessed, no.

6. I really like to analyze ballistics of different weights of ammo. I like to see what each is best at and then evaluate what is best for me. I have settled on HST for my carry loads in all calibers with GD being a very close second.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

7. I like ballistic science, but I've never been overly obsessed with carry ammo.

8. Maybe at first...but not so much anymore.

After a while, I decided to carry Speer Gold Dot (regardless of caliber) & shoot Lawman at the range since it's no more than WWB @ Walmart when bought in bulk.

I figure if I do ever have to shoot in defense, my performance will be what matters the most.

9. JBnTX

JBnTX Texas

I'm obsessed with calibers that start with a 4.
    Especially 44 magnum, 44 special and 45 Long Colt.

Can't get enough information about them.

10. Agree, I reload, I almost don't care what ammo cost.:dunno:

11. Little Joe

Platinum Member

There was a time I was. Not so much anymore that I have a nice stash. I think it is natural as a newer shooter. It'll wear off of you over time.

12. When I was a young man I used to invest quite a lot of time looking for the slightest subtle nuance of whatever it was that might make for "better" defensive handgun ammunition. Wish I could get that time back. (Of course, I also wish I hadn't invested so much time and money in buying hair dryer "hot-combs" back when I had long hair in the 60's & 70's, too. :rofl: )

Over the years of having worked in LE, and having served as a firearms instructor for much of that time (since '90), I got over it.

Sure, as an instructor (and someone involved in the selection of duty ammo) I studied what was developed as design improvements and better testing & reporting occurred. But I didn't spend nearly so much time worrying about it.

That focus was replaced by an emphasis on increasing my training & practice and developing my skillset & mindset. (As well as helping to improve the skills & mindset of the folks I was helping train.)

It's just a handgun.

I've used the standard and premium lines from the major ammunition makers that provide ammunition to LE/Gov customers. I tend to prefer using one of the more modern designed "premium" ammunition lines, given my druthers.

How often do you practice?

Have you taken any sort of training?

How frequently do you practice?

How familiar are you with whatever handgun(s) it is that you and use?

How familiar are you with maintaining it as recommended by the manufacturer(s)?

How familiar are you with the applicable laws?

Do you invest at least an equal amount of time & effort in learning about these things, and keeping your knowledge of them current, compared to your quest for the "best ammunition"?

#11 fastbolt, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  13. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

I reload, and have for over 45 years now. I am not concerned about factory ammo cost. If you are, you should really take up hand loading amigo.

Personally, to answer YOUR question.. I think your over reacting here... Slow down, take your time, you'll get a more harmonious outcome ! ;)

CM

14. I would assume you guys are right in that it will wear off over time and i will find important things to do like the ones in this post.
    The answer to these questions for me is not enough, not enough, and not enough and so on
    I need to divert my time spent on this ammo thing into some of these other areas which appear much more practical and useful.

15. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

I like to keep up with what's new, what works just as good, worse, better etc. Some get into it more and some less. I think obsession starts when you have withdrawal issues when you don't think/talk about ammo for a day :supergrin:

:50cal:

16. Paul53

Paul53 Geezer Boomer

So, I guess the answer to your original question is NO!

17. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

With me it's all about quantity. I don't buy light loads but I prefer range ammo for stockpiling. The only calibers are stockpile for are .40s&w, .357mag, .223/5.56, and 7.62x39. Any of these rounds are perfectly capable of getting the job done without having to be hp/hd rounds. I can buy way more of them for the same price without having to give up too much in lethality. The .40 is a flat nose round that's still going to do a lot of damage. All of my .357s are jsps and again perfectly capable.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

18. I was.

But now I just buy HST.

19. Kalmah

Kalmah Supreme Member

The premium JHP's from the major manufacturers (Gold Dot, HST, Ranger T, Golden Saber, etc) are all pretty much the same, no significant advantage in one over the other. Most arguments/discussions about Brand A over Brand B boil down to nothing more than personal preferences of the participants. Pick one you can shoot well and that works reliably in your gun and be done with it.

As far as perusing the net to check out prices, I do that several times a week. I'm well stocked and don't really need any ammo at this point, but I'm always on the lookout for a good deal anyway.

20. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766
    CLM

I echo fastbolt on the time and money I wasted in my early years. Ammo choice is one of the least important considerations should you have to use deadly force. I do concede that it may be the only thing you had control of in the situation.

21. Not quite that obsessed yet!:supergrin:but give me some time!:wavey: