close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

is all quality hp handgun ammo sealed?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by kenndapp, Aug 18, 2012.

1. kenndapp

kenndapp

May 20, 2012
    i heard that all quality hand defensive gun ammo is sealed/water proofed.....but i never see any sealant no matter what the manufacturer is. is this because it is clear or something different than the colored sealant we see on our riffle ammo?

2. unit1069

unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    All the top quality JHP self-defense ammo I own has a sealant.

3. kenndapp

kenndapp

May 20, 2012
    i cant seem to see any on federal hst's or winchester ranger-t's is it a clear sealant?

4. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    It isn't much of an issue if not. The primer & bullet are tight press fit & not likely to be reuined by moisture. Maybe if you soaked it in water for days or weeks, but not humidity or casual wetting.

5. unit1069

unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    I did a quick Google of HST and here's what Federal posted in September 2009 about the .40S&W 165-grain HST:

I'm sure all HST rounds in whatever caliber are sealed the same way.

I know Remington Golden Saber has sealant and I assume Speer does the same with its Gold Dot ammo.

6. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766 CLM

Most of my complaints on Ranger ammo is from the sealant getting media stuck in it after Winchester tumbles it. Many think it is corrosion around the primer.