Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

is a church w/ a school attatched still a school on Sat/Sun?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by huggytree, Nov 9, 2011.

1. huggytree

Nov 9, 2011
    my church has a school attached, so i know guns are a big no no on weekday school grounds

is it still a school when i go to church on the weekends?
    (i think i already know the answer, but just checking)
  2. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

May 4, 2003
    In what state?

3. IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
  4. ncglock19

Jan 6, 2010
    Apex, NC
    Ask the Pastor directly. I know of some churches that allow certain people to carry as long as they get training yearly.

5. huggytree

Nov 9, 2011
    its here in WI...but this should be a national issue since the 'gun free school zones' is a Federal law

most Catholic churches here are NOT supposed to allow carry from what ive heard....i havent seen it posted yet...the priest is a hunter and has animal heads on the wall
  6. G29SF

Oct 24, 2011
    Highland, IL

Don't know the specifics but...

I believe the Gun-Free-School-Zone is 1000' and does not matter if school is in session or not.

I also believe that if you have a CCW permit FROM THE STATE THAT THE SCHOOL IS LOCATED, you are allowed to carry in that 1000' zone... but not IN the school. Not sure, but at that point, the State laws probably kick in.

So... the real question still remains... is the "church" a "school" or is it two different things that just happen to be attached? Back to reading the specific state and federal laws I guess...
  7. BailRecoveryAgent

BailRecoveryAgent Rude Member

Aug 2, 2010
    I would not carry there until receiving written clarification from the WI attorney general. Ymmv...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
  8. redbaron007

redbaron007 Some Dude Lifetime Member

Jan 26, 2009
    A lot of states address this with their CCW regulations. In MO, it is prohibited even with a CCW; however, it isn't a criminal offense if caught doing so. They just ask you to leave, if you don't, then that's when the problems start. When you read the GFSZ, if there is no state regulation on it it, then the federal regs kick in. Here is the link for need to check what your state's regs say.

9. failsafe

Oct 25, 2003
    Well here in Missouri, RSMO 571,concerning places prohibited to carry, has the following concerning schools..
    (10) Any higher education institution or elementary or secondary school facility without the consent of the governing body of the higher education institution or a school official or the district school board. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of any higher education institution or elementary or secondary school facility shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises;

Also, concerning carrying in Church..
    (14) Any church or other place of religious worship without the consent of the minister or person or persons representing the religious organization that exercises control over the place of religious worship. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises;

See the entire chapter..
  10. NC Bullseye

NC Bullseye

Aug 14, 2006
    I know here in NC there is no excluded time. It's educational property 24/7/365.

Doesn't matter if it's 2:00AM or Christmas day, it's still educational property and off limits as such in the state statutes.
  11. Someone should challenge the federal law restricting people from carrying 1,000 feet from a school... I'd bet there are few of us who haven't unintentionally "broken" this law. Ever drive by a school? What if you live next to a school or within 1,000 feet? That's 3 football fields, plenty of Americans live within 1,000 feet of a school? Does this mean their 2nd amendment constitutional right is denied???

Gotta love our quirky pig-headed idiot politicians who write some of these ridiculous laws!
  12. failsafe

Oct 25, 2003
    Just my $.02 and ther is case law to support it..

(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

Read the entire..Yes it's WIKI, but it seems accurate..
  13. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    I'd rather not take the risk.'08.
  14. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Mar 13, 2001
    Not a chance
    gun free school zones are state by state last time I checked the Fed statute was non Con...
  15. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    Your exactly right the Federal law was found Unconstitutional- cause as written it made anyone who lived with 1000' a felon for possesing a firearm! Even in there own homes! Though the Feds will still bust you when they can under this law! Discharge a firearm within this 1000' cordon and they will add the extra time on to your prison sentence! Min. uses this law to basically prevent anyone from OC in there major cities! Yet it has prevented not one criminal act in a school zone! :faint: Just another feel good law that doesn't work! :faint:
  16. rvrctyrngr

rvrctyrngr Senior Moment

Sep 15, 2004
    Gator Nation
    The original GFSZ law was declared unconstitutional. It was re-written with private property exceptions and signed into law again. It is still in effect.
  17. huggytree

Nov 9, 2011
    i will reread the law and write to the WI DOJ for a definition....i feel its a grey area

maybe i can in the church 1/2 of the building and not in the school 1/2

im surprised i didnt get any neg feedback about carrying in church...looks like we all think wife is very unhappy that i would consider carrying in Church.
  18. huggytree

Nov 9, 2011
    just reread the WI CCW Law....its very specific

948.605 firearms on school grounds. No licesnsee may knowingly posses a firearm in or on the grounds of a school

so i cant even have it in my trunk or glove box
  19. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    How do they define a school? Is the school at the church an accredited school? Sunday schools are not usually seen as accredited- IE state funded schools! The church should be able to tell you this info.
  20. Lior

Jul 23, 2004
    A dead disarmed victim is a dead disarmed victim any day of the week. Be nice to everyone;carry religiously.