close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Is $.50/lb too much for new wheel weights?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by XshooterX, Oct 27, 2012.

1. XshooterX

XshooterX

Oct 24, 2012
    I'm having trouble finding lead to cast bullets. I found these at a local scrap yard. Should I keep looking? Or is that reasonable. I know ingots can be had for around $1.00/lb...is the extra cost worth not having to smelt?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. michael e

michael e

Nov 20, 2010
    I know the wheel weights we have been getting at work for the last few years are no longer lead. So just make sure they are actually lead.
    Not sure if thats a good price, I haven't started casting my own yet, but was given all the old ones we had a work so I have a large supply to use if I ever get around to casting.

3. XshooterX

XshooterX

Oct 24, 2012
    I recently learned that so I was sure to ask. These are actually separate from all the others because they are new, unused lead weights. I don't know why 1000 lbs of brand new weights got scrapped, but they set them aside just for the guys that come in looking for bullet casting lead.

4. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    They might be new old stock and it's after whatever date your state decided to ban lead weights. What state are you in?

It's easy to verify if they are lead if they are not in some kind of packaging that identifies them as lead. Just bring a pair of cutting pliers with you and try to pinch a few of them. The cutters should leave an obvious mark on the weight without too much effort. Zinc etc are noticably hard and you really have to bear down on the pliers to make even a slight mark.

If they are lead, it's a good deal. There will be very little waste since all you'll have left is the clips. New ones should make less smoke when you render them down too, which is nice. Old WW are nasty to melt down. Tire dust is all over them and they make black, burning rubber smoke.

5. XshooterX

XshooterX

Oct 24, 2012
    The guy that showed them to me actually cut some in half with a large pair of side cutters. They are very shiny too. I think I'll go ahead and pick some up next week. BTW, I'm in TX. I don't know the laws for sure but I doubt that they've been banned here. I know all of the mom & pop tire shops around here reuse the old weights. And the chain stores all sell them to Interstate Battery.

6. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    Yeah, TX wouldn't ban them on their own. Maybe the Fed regulations have gone into effect? Maybe they are out of spec somehow for normal use? Are they clip on or the stick on tape type? The tape ones are soft, nearly pure lead, while the clip-ons are harder.

7. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    FWIW in case you haven't thought of it.

The clip ons usually have a hole in the clip. I use a piece if wire and string them like a necklace and put them in the pot. when they melt I pull the wire out and the clips with it all at once.

Just tossing it out there as a helpful tip

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  8. LazuR

LazuR

Oct 17, 2007
    Roseburg, Oregon
    At my work we sell used weights. 2 gallon bucket for $20. Weighs about 40lbs on average. We separate the lead from steel for customers.

9. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    Hey I am on the south coast, you could become my friend:supergrin:

10. RustyFN

RustyFN

Sep 29, 2006
    West Virginia
    That's a pretty cool trick, never thought of that. Unfortunatly I melt too big a quantity to try that. I use a six quart dutch oven and it will hold around 80 pounds at a time.

[​IMG]

11. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    Well, you're excused then.:wavey:

:supergrin:

12. dstanley66

dstanley66

Apr 13, 2012
    I need to start casting my own or sale all this lead, I get 4lb. lead hammers from work for free, still not sure if I want to shoot lead in my guns yet.

13. LazuR

LazuR

Oct 17, 2007
    Roseburg, Oregon
    I think shipping might be quite expensive. I wouldn't mind saving some for you.

14. jmorris

jmorris

Apr 13, 2006
    Sounds kind of high to me. They are getting harder to find these days but find small local type stores and bribe the kid that does all the work with cold beer. Make sure he's 21 or they will be pretty costly then too.

15. BHP9

BHP9

Nov 21, 2008
    God's Country.
    They are now using zinc for wheel weights and have been for 5 or 6 years now. Truck and coach weights may still be lead, but I would doubt it now, having been out of the biz for almost 5 years.

Good luck in your search.

16. I used to be able to get the, when I reloaded at junk yards pretty cheaply.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

17. I run an auto repair shop in Houston and I give the weights away when the 5 gallon buckets get full. I will post up next time they are full if anyone wants to come get them.

18. XshooterX

XshooterX

Oct 24, 2012
    Man, I wish I could find that kind of deal around Dallas.

19. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Shipping is actually quite cheap thru USPS FR boxes. You can send me 65# for $15 anytime you like. Let me know, I'll send you $20 anytime for 65# of lead ww.:supergrin: