close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Iphone 5 will be worth waiting.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by tongix, May 29, 2012.

1. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I'll upgrade for the screen alone. It's about time.

2. devildog2067

devildog2067

3. ShapesAndColors

ShapesAndColors Life is good..

Agreed. I had a Droid X before my iPhone and that phone was a brick. I have smaller hands and did not like the fact that it was almost unusable with one hand. 3.95 would be great. Just utilize the dead space of the dimensions on the current model.

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  4. boomhower

boomhower

I don't think it will be that big, I think 4" is much more likely. I've had a 4.3" EVO before and really liked the bigger screen. It doesn't really matter though, I'm not due for an upgrade until next year and I'm not paying full retail. If I had LTE in my area I'd be tempted though.

5. Agent6-3/8

Agent6-3/8

Gotta agree with devildog, that'd just be too big. If they can increase screen size without making the phone any bigger then go for it, but these things are big enough as it is, IMO.

6. RHVEtte

RHVEtte

Ditto. I don't know who keeps telling the marketing folks to make phones with bigger screens. Have you seen the Samsung Note? Look! It's a phone AND a tablet! All the portability of a tablet with all the graphics and computing power of a phone! It's everything you hate in one convenient package.

7. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

I have a Galaxy Note. I love it.

:cool:

8. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

It'd probably be OK if you carry a purse, and if Apple tells the fanboys they need a purse they'll hop right on.

9. sputnik767

sputnik767

If it looks something like that, it would be a huge improvement. Look at all of the wasted space on the current iphone. It is a very large device when you relate it to the small screen size. Otherwise, I have the Samsung Galaxy S II with the 4.6" screen, and it's not so much bigger than the current iphone, again due to the lack of wasted space. I don't think most people would find the 4.6" screen too big.

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  10. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

I actually think the current phone is too small. I have a samsung galaxy s 2 now with a 4.3" screen, and I like its size much better than an iPhone. Not just the sscreen, but the overall size of the device.

11. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Why is Apple so far behind the curve? They're the innovators, yet 4G was stupid late. And they don't even have an LTE capable phone yet?

12. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

The excuse, I mean reason, I heard was battery life for the LTE radio. Verizon (at least) was so late in getting the relative info to manufacturers (HTC, Motorola, Apple) that most started building phones to early LTE radio specs and in theory had great battery life. By time they got final specs in house it was really different and too late to change anything. That is the reason (I've heard) why most of the early VZW LTE phones have horrible battery life. My Thunderbolt if running stock only lasts 3-4 hours with 4G turned on. I am running it with a custom kernel and ROM and now it lasts 8-10 hours with moderate use.

Apple skipped the early LTE phase until they could "perfect" their devices to still get good battery life. The big test is the iPad3 with LTE.

13. ronin.45

ronin.45

I'd prefer a 4" as well. I'd like a bigger screen, but I want a compact overall package.

14. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Too funny.

[​IMG]

My Droid X screen is to big for a phone. I'll opted for a much smaller phone next time.

15. sputnik767

sputnik767

Well, in their defense, LTE networks aren't really widespread yet. Perhaps they are right in waiting until the protocols and radios are perfected. However, they are no longer innovators and haven't been for a long time. They stopped innovating with the original iPad. After that, every single device was the exact same thing, with the exception of slight internal upgrades and Siri. iOS hasn't really changed since it's inception. The biggest addition was rudimentary multitasking that was added about 3 years ago.

16. costanza187

costanza187 I like Macs

:rofl: I just have to find one to match my shoes.

17. itstime

itstime

I will go a little bigger footprint for a larger screen. I wish my 4s had a bigger screen. I was looking at the Note when it came out. Cool concept but didn't want to go Android.

18. Travelin' Jack

Travelin' Jack Misinformed

Note the date of the article. I think 3.95 or 4.1 inches are the new anticipated screen sizes.

19. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

First, that article is 2 months old.

Second - they will lose a lot of business if they make a honking big Samsung Galaxy-sized phone. Too big.

Third - Assuming it's not honkin-big, I'll be in for 2. Can't wait to see what is next.

Fourth - Galaxy III - ???? Is it just me or is every other phone company trying to appeal to 14 yr old girls? I think this whole "uber accessibility and cross platform" stuff is on the decline. I could be wrong, but I don't need my phone to tell me who it is that is in my picture and if I click on them, it will email them. Nor do I need my phone to call the person I'm texting if I put my phone to my ear. ???? Nor do I need one that looks at me and once it stops seeing my face, it goes to sleep. ????? The only "new" feature I like on the G3 is the "hey, I haven't been picked up in a while - you got some calls and texts" alert system. Would be great for my wife.

I spent 10 min on the Samsung site looking at the G3. Convinced I don't need it. Samsung has a good strategy - put out a bunch of phones and appeal to a broad range of people. Apple's strategy is different - make everyone conform a little bit and keep their models to a minimum. I prefer the latter, even though it sometimes means giving up small amounts of control.