close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

IPad 3

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by gunslinger3, Apr 19, 2012.

1. gunslinger3

gunslinger3 Μολὼν λαβέ

Got a new Ipad at our managers meeting two weeks ago. WiFi 4G. Already bought myself a Tab 7+ for Christmas. Don't get the love of the Apple product over Android. If I want to put something on my Tab, I plug it in to my PC and it's listed as a drive or just download form the web and there it is.

With Apple, you have to use (and I hate) Itunes to do this.

Apple just makes their products too restrictive. Will keep it as it was free and I can access the web from anywhere, however my Tab still rules the house.

2. devildog2067

devildog2067

I've switched back and forth between Android and iOS a number of times, and while the "closed-ness" of the Apple ecosystem does suck--a lot--in most ways, iOS devices are simply better.

Not all, of course. Gmail and Gchat integration on iPhone/iPad is laughably bad. So is Google Voice, which is a real shame, I use that product a lot.

I have had both a 7" Android tablet and the iPad (the new one) and the iPad is better in almost every way, with the exception of the closed filesystem. Yes, it's a huge pain. Yes, it's laughably stupid that I can't delete a photo after syncing it to the device. Still, I don't use my Android tablet anymore. The iPad is too convenient.

3. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

I'll give you $250 for it. Lol

4. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

Bought one for my wife. I'm not crazy about it, but she is ....

5. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

I'll give you $251.

6. raven11

raven11

I'll give you $3.50

7. sputnik767

sputnik767

The main thing I don't get are comments such as "iOS is better or Android is better." The question is, better for what/whom? Is it better for you, better for your grandma, your wife, your 4-year old? Point is, better is a subjective term, and everyone defines it according to their needs/wants. For me, Android is absolutely, unequivocally better than iOS. In fact, iOS would not cut it, as it lacks the most important features of what makes a computer: no file manager and no way to manually upload and download files. Itunes does not count. Basically, with no file manager I can't download and save a file from the internet (powerpoint files open up in the browser for example), I can't create a folder or directory, there is no saving or copying files, etc. No, there is no app for this because the OS itself does not have the functionality. So if you want to create and save a document, you do it through a specific app and save it to be accessible within that app. Now how do you go about uploading or downloading files through it? Itunes is the only way. However, I'm a very techy guy but when my GF asked me to put some powerpoint files onto her ipad, I could not figure out how to do it, and even googling the issue didn't give me a good answer. With Android, plug it in, copy and paste, done. For that reason alone, I just bought the Asus Transformer Prime, which is the new quad-core tablet. And as a side-benefit, with a $10 adapter, I can plug in USB flash drives or a hard drive up to 1 TB, and read/write files with it. No file manager in iOS = no flash drive capability. It is actually considerably more powerful than an ipad 3, which is still a dual-core CPU, but does not have the HD display. Although I question the reasoning for the display, given that it's a sub-10 inch screen packing more pixels than a HDTV, and Apple's own macbooks with much larger screens. I agree that it's very impressive, but I also think it is superfluous. Plus, the ability to install apps that didn't come from the market (you can download the app package files from the internet and install) without rooting (jailbreaking) is great. Of course I root every Android device before I even use it, but still.

Now, if you are a person who only wants a tablet for internet browsing, email, youtube, and other basic tasks, I would agree that iOS is better for you. For me, I want a tablet to replace a laptop for my personal daily use, and iOS does not fit the bill.

And before anyone says otherwise, I have a macbook pro, so I am in no way against Apple.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  8. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

BTW just tried a friends new Note by Samsung what a cool little device...A bit larger than my Rezound but it has quite a nice screen size...Pair it with a bluetooth for calls and you have a winner.

9. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Oh and this just in Virus's are popping up on Apple products now at a substantial rate....

10. sputnik767

sputnik767

Wouldn't call a few viruses "substantial rate," however it does indicate that Macs are not and never were immune to Windows-style viruses that fanboys always harped about. Virus writers were simply not interested in Macs until fairly recently. I knew this all along (it's common sense that no computer is immune), but I may have to start running an antivirus on my mac.

11. buster55

buster55 Senior Member CLM

[

Now, if you are a person who only wants a tablet for internet browsing, email, youtube, and other basic tasks, I would agree that iOS is better for you. For me, I want a tablet to replace a laptop for my personal daily use, and iOS does not fit the bill.

And before anyone says otherwise, I have a macbook pro, so I am in no way against Apple.[/QUOTE]

I agree I use my android devices to run my business
    5 galaxy phones /2 samsung tablets/all invoicing in QBooks contactor edition done in the field.they really are computers
    Not I pods that make phone calls:tongueout:
    My wife is a apple junkie so I roll with the flow....

12. sputnik767

sputnik767

Haha, so is my GF and 99% of my friends.

13. devildog2067

devildog2067

This is absolutely true, and the root of most of my complaints about iOS.

Having said that, Dropbox solves that problem for me, and is actually faster and easier than accessing the filesystem on an android tablet most of the time.

Dropbox + slideshark. 30 seconds.

The fact that you have to do it this way is idiotic, but it works fine.

14. gunslinger3

gunslinger3 Μολὼν λαβέ

will check this combo out

15. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

This kinda stuff is why you're the lead candidate for my personal physician and tech consultant.

16. sputnik767

sputnik767

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll definitely check it out. I wonder if Apple will institute some sort of integration similar to this into a future version of iOS. Likely, the no file manager aspect is not going to change, but surely Apple must see the need for a better way to transfer files than itunes. Maybe their cloud storage thing is the answer?

17. sputnik767

sputnik767

Thank you. I'll do my best :wavey:

18. sputnik767

sputnik767

By the way, if anyone here is using Android and wants a great file manager app, there is an app that was just released. It's called Solid Explorer, and from what I can tell, it comes just about as close to a Windows or Mac style file manager app. It's still in the alpha stage and obviously has some issues, but looks and works great on my Transformer Prime tablet.

You can find more info and download here:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1537189

Download the .apk file, copy to your device, and tap it in your current file manager app (download a free one from the market if you need to). It will install automatically.

Screenshot is attached

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  19. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 Pastafarian

Yea, they're pretty tough cookies too.

That "mac defender" asked for my admin password before it would install itself.....I don't know how I avoided getting that one. :rofl:

20. sputnik767

sputnik767

New ones are able to do a "drive-by" install, just like on Windows. Things are likely to change for complacent Mac users, myself included. Sure will be an interesting scene at the Genius Bar. It's easy to be a "Genius" when you don't actually have to know anything. I can deal with Windows viruses just fine, but I sure as hell don't know anything about UNIX.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012