Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

  • Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Iowa CCWers

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by AmmoChief, Jan 23, 2012.

  1. AmmoChief


    Mar 18, 2008
    Kansas City, MO

    If I have permits in 2 other states and have taken the required course in each of those states and I also have all the military background and training on handguns, do I still need to attend a course in Iowa prior to obtaining a CCW there? I'm moving to the Davenport area in September due to my upcoming assignment to Rock Island Arsenal, IL. I refuse to live in Illinois, obviously.
  2. amorican88


    Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012

  3. HerrGlock

    HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

    Dec 28, 2000
    Seems your DD-214 or your certificate of graduation from basic is proof of training:
  4. pipedreams

    pipedreams Member

    Feb 19, 2011
    S. E. Iowa
    If you have a DD-214 that will do it.........................
  5. AmmoChief


    Mar 18, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    sounds good. I've read what it says in B&W but I still like to hear it from someone who lives there.
  6. shockglock


    Apr 26, 2011
    Mid MO
    Do you have your Missouri CCW? It is accepted by 39 states.
  7. AmmoChief


    Mar 18, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    yes i do have one but I was thinking that since i will no longer be a resident that it would be no good
  8. shockglock


    Apr 26, 2011
    Mid MO
    Yeah, I typed before I thought.
  9. Sheepdog Scout

    Sheepdog Scout Behind you!

    Jan 23, 2010
    Who knows?
    Yup, you'll be GTG. If you're moving to Davenport area, you'll probably be in Scott County.

    Iowa application for a PTC. You'll need to complete it and take it in person to the sheriffs dept in the county that you live. You'll obviously need an Iowa drivers license.

    Scott County Sheriffs office:

    Permit is good for five years and costs $50.

    You may wanna check out this site and possibly join the IFC.

    There is this as well:
    Obtaining Weapon Permits

    The Sheriff of your county of residence is the only person who is authorized to issue permits unless you are a non-resident of Iowa or require a permit as a result of your employment by the State of Iowa, in which case the Commissioner of the Iowa Department of Public Safety can issue permits to carry. You may contact the Iowa Department of Public Safety by email: or by telephone: 515-725-6230
    The Sheriff may issue both a professional and a non-professional permit to the same individual if circumstances warrant.
    A permit may be issued to a temporary resident of Iowa (i.e.; a student residing in Iowa but whose permanent home is another state or a person in the armed services working at Rock Island Arsenal).
    You will be required to bring in:

    • Current photo ID
    • 3 consecutive months of bills (i.e.; electric, water or gas) addressed to person applying with correct Scott County address

    You may need to contact the DPS based on what your situation is or will be. I don't recall exactly when you actually become a resident and all that. Also, I'm not sure how long you could legally carry on your Missouri permit or what not.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  10. jeffyjeff

    jeffyjeff awesome sauce

    Aug 18, 2010
    dd-214 is good, i personally know a number of guys that went and got a ptc last january with theirs.

    the new iowa law recognizes all other states permits, but iowa residents must have an iowa permit to lawfully carry.