close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Internal Parts Wear

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by sleepygreen, Mar 10, 2011.

1. sleepygreen

sleepygreen

Mar 28, 2006
    Im a little new to 1911's, and have only owned guns for less than a decade. I have not used any firearms to the point that they even need any worn parts replaced. Do i need to worry about this type of thing? Unfortunately between work, school, and my income, i can not afford to go shooting as much as i would like to, but i enjoy dry fire practice when i cant get out. Other than springs, do i need to worry about things like hammers, sears, or other parts wearing out at any interval? I guess this question pertains to all guns, not just 1911s, but i know there are metal on metal parts in the 1911 that i can imagine would wear out eventually (probably after 1000's of trigger pulls).

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  2. gconan

gconan

May 1, 2000
    I like to put grease on top of the sear/hammer hooks. Makes it slick and has to prevent wear.

3. MajorD

MajorD

Aug 16, 2010
    with proper lubrication the internal parts of a 1911 (providing they were properly made to begin with) will last dam near a lifetime. One of the old timers in my club has a 1911(old gun built with GI parts) with over 100 K through it- a few springs is all that was ever replaced, and no where near with the frequency suggested on internet gun boards.