close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Interesting WW II Trivia

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by robin303, Feb 2, 2012.

1. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

[Not verified]
    Interesting WW II Trivia:

You might enjoy this from Col D. G. Swinford, USMC, Ret and history buff. You would really have to dig deep to get this kind of ringside seat to history:

1. The first German serviceman killed in WW II was killed by the Japanese ( China , 1937), the first American serviceman killed was killed by the Russians (Finland 1940); highest ranking American killed was Lt Gen Lesley McNair, killed by the US Army Air Corps. So much for allies and “friendly fire”.

2. The youngest US serviceman was 12 year old Calvin Graham, USN. He was wounded and given a Dishonorable Discharge for lying about his age. His benefits were later restored by act of Congress.

3.. At the time of Pearl Harbor , the top US Navy command was called CINCUS (pronounced 'sink us'), the shoulder patch of the US Army's 45th Infantry division was the Swastika, and Hitler's private train was named 'Amerika.' All three were soon changed for PR purposes.

4.. More US servicemen died in the Air Corps than the Marine Corps. While completing the required 30 missions, your chance of being killed was 71%.

5. Generally speaking, there was no such thing as an average fighter pilot . You were either an ace or a target. For instance, Japanese Ace Hiroyoshi Nishizawa shot down over 80 planes. He died while a passenger on a cargo plane.

6. It was a common practice on fighter planes to load every 5th round with a tracer round to aid in aiming. This was a mistake.. Tracers had different ballistics so (at long range) if your tracers were hitting the target 80% of your rounds were missing. Worse yet tracers instantly told your enemy he was under fire and from which direction. Worst of all was the practice of loading a string of tracers at the end of the belt to tell you that you were out of ammo. This was definitely not something you wanted to tell the enemy. Units that stopped using tracers saw their success rate nearly double and their loss rate go down.

YOU'VE GOT TO LOVE THIS ONE.........

7. When allied armies reached the Rhine, the first thing men did was pee in it. This was pretty universal from the lowest private to Winston Churchill (who made a big show of it) and Gen. Patton (who had himself photographed in the act).

8. German Me-264 bombers were capable of bombing New York City, but they decided it wasn't worth the effort.

9. German submarine U-120 was sunk by a malfunctioning toilet.

10. Among the first 'Germans' captured at Normandy were several Koreans. They had been forced to fight for the Japanese Army until they were captured by the Russians and forced to fight for the Russian Army until they were captured by the Germans and forced to fight for the German Army until they were captured by the US Army.

11. The U.S. general in command on Okinawa, Simon Bolivar Buckner Jr. was killed by a Japanese sniper in 1945. His father was the Confederate General who surrendered Fort Donaldson to U.S. Grant in 1862.
    SAVED THE BEST FOR LAST....
    12. Following a massive naval bombardment, 35,000 United States and Canadian troops stormed ashore at Kiska, in the Aleutian Islands. 21 troops
    were killed in the assault on the island. It would have been worse if there had been any Japanese on the island.

2. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

A few problems.
    1. Lesley McNair was the same rank as Simon Bolivar Buckner, Jr. when they were killed. Buckner was killed by shrapnel from a Japanese artillery round.

3. The 45th division changed its patch in 39.

6. No tracers was a personal preference. Some had better luck with no tracers, others didn't. Anyway, long range shooting when the ballistic differences mattered was a waste of ammo anyway.

8. Not worth the effort? in 44 fighters were needed more than bombers. And it had some serious flaws that made it not real workable as an operational aircraft.

Those are just off the top of my head. As usual, a grain of truth mixed with BS

3. raven11

raven11

That was actully U-1206

4. 8Ring

8Ring

Russia did not declare war on Japan until August 1945. How could a Korean soldier who was forced to fight for the Japanese be captured by the Russians before June 1944

5. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

6. makes me laugh

I've never been patent enough to count the tracers in my enemys fire, and hope that he loaded his belts with his last couple rounds as tracers so he knew.

6. devildog2067

devildog2067

This one is not quite right (but close!).

It was U-1206, and it was sunk by British planes after being forced to surface due to a malfunctioning toilet.

7. CAcop

CAcop

The ****ter was full!

Cousin Eddie

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  8. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Beautiful. :supergrin:

9. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Cool trivia

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk

10. jeager

jeager

Russo-Japanese War 1905

...of course those Koreans would've been ~60 years old, but you asked.

maybbe

11. aplcr0331

aplcr0331 Compulsory Collectivisim

Been reading about the Russian Campaign in Manchuria. Fascinating history and the Russian General, General Gregori Zhukov, might be one of the more impressive General's of the entire war.

The Allies agreed at Yalta that the Russians would declare war on Japan exaclty three months after the end of the war in Europe. They sure did not disappoint.

12. The Fist Of Goodness

The Fist Of Goodness

I'll have to look up the specifics, but I recall that the Russians and Japanese were skirmishing in (I think) Manchuria throughout the 30s and 40s, even without the declaration of war.

13. devildog2067

devildog2067

The Russians and the Japanese were skirmishing in China for most of the 30's.

14. devildog2067

devildog2067

[​IMG]

EDITED TO ADD: The quoted text is a forum post, not a news article, no copyright issues to worry about.

15. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

I wonder if he became a US citizen, because we were the only country that did not force him into conscription. Wouldn't it be weird if the US did draft him to fight in the Korean war. He literally would have gone full circle.

16. Bullman

Bullman Deranged Deputy

It might also be good to remember that Adolf Hitler was fanatical about Bomber production, and he delayed the Me 262 project quite a bit because he wanted it to be capable of carrying bombs. More than likely the plane was capable on paper, but logistically the Germans weren't capable of mounting such an attack by the time the plane was available in numbers, if it ever was.

17. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Question on the Korean dude. If Northeastern University is in Boston, why is Northwestern in Ill instead of Seattle????

18. Steve0853

Steve0853

Wow, DD, from a Korean draftee, to a Russian forced soldier, to a German forced soldier, to an American POW, to a US citizen in the heartland.

Talk about falling into a bucket of crap and coming out smelling like a rose.....:wow::wow:

19. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

If you've ever flushed a toilet on a submarine...or better yet, screwed up the process of flushing a toilet on a submarine, you'll appreciate just how hazardous it can be!

20. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

You can just read the expression on his face...
    "For Chrissake...just give me a gun and tell me who to shoot.
    Let's get this over with."