close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Interesting thought about gen 4s

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by OctoberRust, Feb 7, 2012.

Tags:
  1. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

first off, I've owned multiple glocks in gens 2,3, and 4. No problems.

BUT I was thinking, I wonder if the dual recoil spring's weight isn't the problem, but the way the thicker rod/spring system allow the frame the flex. Sort of like when there were known issues with the G22's not functioning right with flashlights mounted on to them.

Has anyone brought this up before?

2. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Funny you should ask! The answer is, 'Yes'. Ref: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1399575

Personally, I don't think spring weight is a major contributor. Minor? Yes. Major? No. My strong suspicion is that it's this dual spring's longer-than-usual length and inherent, OPERATING CHARACTERISTICS - rather than the spring weight, itself - that's a prime contributor to this problem.

Another thing: Glocks' polymer frames NEED TO FLEX when the gun is fired. The problem with those 3rd gen G-22's the Hasbrouck Heights, NJ Police Department fielded wasn't caused by (excessive) frame flex; instead it was the result of their permanently attached tac lights straightening out the dust cover, PREVENTING frame flex, and significantly SPEEDING UP slide movement to the point where cartridge failures-to-feed began to occur.

My compliments, though. You're obviously thinking! Right now, only time is going to tell. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012

3. INEEDMILK

INEEDMILK

But aren't the newer Gen3 19s with the simple guide-rod also having issues?

4. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Yes, but for different reasons. (This is, 'Why' Glock function problems always seem to be sooo ....... fascinating!) ;)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  5. I_Hate_George_Lucas

I_Hate_George_Lucas

I find the theory interesting about the GLOCK 22s and flashlights. I own a personal Gen 4 22 and carry a pd issue Gen 3 G22. Both wear Surefire X200s 24/7/365 and I have never suffered a failure to feed.

6. PAGunner

PAGunner

Rubbish, frames may flex a very little bit, but it has nothing to do with anything. 9mm Gen4s have been the only Gen4s that've had issues, and they seem to have been fixed.

7. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

Again, from what I hear, they work fine if you don't tighten the flash light too tight on the gun.......

This is all speculation on my part, since I've never *knock on wood* experienced issues with any of my glocks.

I shoot them weak handed, one handed, both handed, upside down, side ways, trying to limp wrist, and no malfunctions.

8. The Gemini

The Gemini

At this point in time, I'm not inclined to believe the design, operating characteristics, etc of the dual RSA are responsible for the issues being experienced in the 2010-to-present GLOCKs. The spring weight (pounds)....maybe....but the fact that it is a dual recoil spring alone isn't the problem.

The RSA is in place between the barrel lug and front of the slide. It isn't even touching the polymer frame when the gun is fired. The reason the flashlights were the problem is because they are mounted directly onto the frame, thereby preventing it from flexing as designed. That is a direct relationship to the frame, unlike the RSA.

Isn't it true that some people have bought conversions to change the dual RSA over to the older style, single RSA? As I recall, there were still functioning problems after this had been done.

Also, GLOCK has had several different revisions of the dual RSA's, and problems still persisted. It only makes sense that if the dual RSA was the problem, utilizing the four or five different revisions there have been would have yielded some significant result/improvement. To date, there has been only minimal results noted.

As another already posted, the Gen 3's have also been experiencing similar issues to the Gen 4's. To me, that pretty much completely rules out the RSA as being a responsible party.

In my opinion, the only common denominator between all of the GLOCK issues as of late has been the time frame the troubled guns were manufactured. That appears to be mid- to late 2010 and on. Something that we internet experts don't know about or aren't aware of was changed/altered/modified inside the factory. And GLOCK is being very tight lipped about the issue. That is, assuming they even know what it is.

II

9. bentbiker

bentbiker

Actually, once the slide is installed on the gun, the rear of the RSA is contacting the frame -- it never touches the barrel lug until the slide is again removed.

However, the springs never were a cause of the problems. Reducing spring weight was merely a way to speed up the slide and cover up the real problem(s).

10. Tommytman

Tommytman

I agree with this!

11. cciman

cciman

Its an Obama conspiracy to make the worlds most reliable gun suddenly start to fail in mico percentage rates; slowly we go back to the 1980-90's when it was NORMAL expectation to have failure of some sort no matter what brand or model you bought.

Slowly, as folks lose faith in their guns, they will then buy more claw hammers and meditation classes. NRA becomes a militia. Buddhism suddenly is on the upsurge, and world peace is on the horizon.

You are right, there is something magically mysterious in the Glock failings.

BTW, I have a Gen4G19 dated 8/2011 and it shoots GREAT (even dirty PAKISTANi ammo), but occasionally it drops a case on my head so I'm sending it back to the factory to have the metallurgy checked out.