close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Interesting New Fiocchi 9mm

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by BOGE, Aug 20, 2010.

1. BOGE

BOGE
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

2. Berto

Berto
    Expand Collapse
    woo woo

Looks interesting, although my initial feeling is that the boolits are too light.

3. Little Joe

Little Joe
    Expand Collapse
    Platinum Member

I think so, too. Boge likes those light ones, though, but you already knew that. :rofl:

4. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy
    Expand Collapse
    Code-7A KUZ769

Already got my 4 boxes of Fiocchi Tundra 92gr EMB.

Apparently Fiocchi bought the rights from Hirtenberger to make this ammo and they had made it for the European market before being allowed to import it to the U.S. I believe that Federal's patent rights for the Hydra-Shok bullet design was what prevented Fiocchi from importing the EMB load up until now.

5. BOGE

BOGE
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

A common myth is that light bullets don`t penetrate deep enough which is total BS and dependent upon bullet design, velocity & bullet material, e.g., lead, solid copper, etc. Of course, ``deep enough`` is a relative term as any woman will attest to. :supergrin:

Here´s a link to an FBI 4 layer denim test with Fed. 9mm 115 gr. +p+ BPLE which penetrated 12.5`` & expanded to 0.680 and is a proven ``manstopper`` although some would have us believe it is Fred Flintstone technology. :wavey:

http://www.stoppingpower.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6951&SearchTerms=,9mm,bple

#5 BOGE, Aug 21, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  6. Glock19Fan

Glock19Fan
    Expand Collapse
    Cool Guy

Looks interesting. I am guessing it is composed mostly of copper, especially the center post, to all the penetration. The jacket/petals surround it, allowing expansion. While I beleive the looks and overall design resemble the Hydrashok, I dont think the intention was to copy it.

The reason for the post in the Hydrashok is to limit the amount of fluid allowed in the cavity of the bullet, cuasing a delay in expansion and thus allowing for deeper penetration. IIRC the Hydrashok was designed after the 1986 Miami shootout.

I wouldnt mind getting my hands on a box of these just to test out, but I wouldnt think the expansion would be too reliable, especially through barriers such as denim. I am also somewhat disappointed in the velocity. For the weight of the bullet, I would expect a foreign bullet to be in the 1400 FPS range.

7. unit1069

unit1069
    Expand Collapse

There's really not much information given about the material or design of the bullet itself.

8. unit1069

unit1069
    Expand Collapse

But the price of 50 rounds is a bit less than $25. Fiocchi is a "value" ammo company but that price seems too low for all-copper bullet ammo, unless Fiocchi wants to make this ammo a loss leader for the time being.

Found this on another site:

#8 unit1069, Aug 21, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  9. Glock19Fan

Glock19Fan
    Expand Collapse
    Cool Guy

Isnt that the material used in jacketing? Or was it copper and nickel?

Either way, I am not going to try to convince anyone its solid copper or not. I just dont think it is too far fetched. I think the main reason the solid copper bullets available are so expensive is becuase they are domestically manufactured, and becuase the companies that load them charge such a price that allows the bullets themselves to be inflated for reloading purposes. Besides that, they do have a fair amount of technology behind them, since they seem to do very well expanding through barriers.

I am pretty much just rambling, but reguardless of the material, I am betting it is basically lead free, and made of a fairly hard material, such a copper of a copper alloy.

10. Little Joe

Little Joe
    Expand Collapse
    Platinum Member

I have no doubt they will get the job done. The proof is in the puddin'. They HAVE. Repeat as necessary and switch to the failure drill if you are not getting the desired result. It's also said that a bullet may have to go through forearm bones and the heavier weight bullets can help with that.

TDS has 50 round BPLE boxes available for $19. In case you don't know already and might need some. They're listed under Assorted Carry Ammo.
    :wavey:

LJ

11. BOGE

BOGE
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

It`s not a solid copper bullet. It has a tungsten insert.

12. SIGShooter

SIGShooter
    Expand Collapse
    Hucklebucks

Tagged for ammo link.

Thanks Boge!!!

13. Little Joe

Little Joe
    Expand Collapse
    Platinum Member

From another forum on the the 9BPLE's effect on bones.

"I can only address the 9BPLE +P+.Wicked round.What pistol are you going to shoot it in.Very few will handle much of it.In the wrong pistol it will be dangerous to get hit with an ejected round,some body standing to your right.It is in my HD round.Only thing I can say first hand ,a hit in a leg bone just below the knee cap will almost amputate a leg."

14. DocKWL

DocKWL
    Expand Collapse

There is no indication found in the link provided that FBI protocol was followed, hence making the results invalid.

15. DocKWL

DocKWL
    Expand Collapse

As is true of every other practical handgun caliber.

16. BOGE

BOGE
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Evan Marshall follows FBI protocol with calibrated gelatin to the best of my knowledge thereby making it valid. However, more importantly those ``in the know`` know that Fed. BPLE is a winner.

#16 BOGE, Aug 22, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  17. unit1069

unit1069
    Expand Collapse

I think Fiocchi is becoming an interesting ammo company.

I haven't been involved with shooting for long --- started around 2005 --- and I began using Fiocchi range ammo almost from the start. Relatively inexpensive and always seems to be available when even WWB isn't.

Companies like Double Tap used to offer premium JHP self-defense rounds at reasonable prices until Speer began restricting Gold Dots to other companies. I've been hoarding what little Double Tap Gold Dots I have left.

In the meantime Fiocchi has stepped up with its Extrema line that uses the Hornady XTP bullet. Like Gold Dot, the XTP is a proven design with many satisfied customers. I hope Hornady doesn't begin restricting their bullets like Speer apparently has.

I don't know if this new 90-grain European bullet design will prove out but it's good that there are companies like Fiocchi who are sterpping up during times of premium ammo drought. I've read that Federal built its national business from relative obscurity at a time when quality of the established ammo companies was on the wane.

18. Jim Watson

Jim Watson
    Expand Collapse

That would not be legal; a tungsten core would make it an Official Armor Piercing Handgun Bullet and not allowed for American Commoners.

In fact if some fed had studied metallurgy, he would realize that gilding metal, being an alloy of copper and zinc, is a form of brass, which is also in the definition of Armor Piercing and therefore not allowed.

19. Glock19Fan

Glock19Fan
    Expand Collapse
    Cool Guy

I agree with this, however, I have no clue how DPX is not considered AP becuase of its material. It is becuase it is an expanding bullet?

20. DocKWL

DocKWL
    Expand Collapse

According to the link you provided, Evan Marshall did not conduct the test.