close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Interested in joining GSSF and shooting Albany, OR next month

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by OregonGlock, Sep 10, 2011.

1. OregonGlock

OregonGlock

Any tips for a someone completely new to GSSF. Would be shooting my Gen 4, 23.

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Read our thread about tips from the pro's. My personal advice:

GSSF Tips
    1. Pre-register, as it will save time.

2. Sign your name, entry number and time at all three stages.

3. Return to the 5 To Glock and check off your name. Watch the other shooters, You will see good habits and bad habits. Help paste before you shoot, as it will give you a good close-up of the scoring rings. Shoot the targets as they enter your line of vision, either right to left or left to right. Do not zig-zag back and forth.

4. Next up is the Glock M. It introduces 1 steel popper per string. Again, engage targets left to right or right to left. First string will be cardboard, popper, cardboard, cardboard, cardboard. Second will be cardboard, cardboard, popper, cardboard cardboard, etc.

5. Shoot the Plates last. Don't rush. DON'T RUSH, DON'T RUSH!

Your stage score is the sum of your times plus any penalty points. Misses are 10 points. Steel left standing is 10 points each. Accuracy is extremely important.

It helps to have 4 magazines per entry. There is plenty of time to reload in-between stages. I carry 10 loaded magazines per entry.

Most important of all, have a great time. Bring a chair.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011

3. hagan34

hagan34

my advice....

go, have fun....

just did my 1st GSSF shot a couple weeks ago.

what danny is saying is got to all 3 stages and sign in. I didnt do this and ended up paying for it at one stage.

personally know what I know now I would have signed up for more division. with a stock Glock you can shoot almost all the divisions. I only shot AM Guardian, Id recommend sign up for what ever Am division and Comp at least.

but diffidently sign up and go shoot

4. OregonGlock

OregonGlock

awesome. thanks guys. excited to go check it out.

what do you recommend for bags or belts to keep things organized and carry ammo? also, is over the ear protection required, or is in ear protection allowed?

5. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Have you read the rulles and info at www.gssfonline.com yet? That should be step 1. Are you shooting a "Stock Glock"?

Don

6. SARDG

SARDG

That's a VERY strange question... NO shooting sport allows you to shoot anywhere without hearing (and eye) protection. You have one set of each and there are no redo's on ear and eye damage.

EDIT: Oh, I see... IN ear vs. Muffs. Either's okay. I sometimes use both if I can still hear range commands and the timer.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  7. mike g35

mike g35

Listen to Danny, he helped me in Beckley at my 1st match and I had a great time. Welcome to the GSSF.

8. OregonGlock

OregonGlock

thanks for all the info. ill get my paperwork in tomorrow and start getting ready!

9. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Danny gave you some great advice. The *one* thing I might do different, is change the order of the stages.

The order Danny gave you is what a lot of the better shooters do. And I think the reasoning behind that is speed & rhythym. The 5 to Glock is shot fairly slow, the Glock M faster, and the plates fastest of all. The only thing is... that makes you shoot the HARDEST shots first, those 25 yarders.

For me, while I've done fairly well, the 25 yarders is where I struggle the most even 3 seasons in. No way do I want to come out of the box and have to shoot those first. In fact, in my gang, we shoot that stage last. We actually shoot it in reverse order than what Danny suggested. Primarily... many events will have a practice plate rack setup. We'll go over and shoot 4-5 mags there, then *immediately* go shoot the real plate rack. We've warmed up doing that stage, and are then ready to shoot it for score.

We'll shoot the Glock M next, and then save those 25 yarders on the 5 to Glock last. Granted... not all events use the hardest 5 to Glock setup (they can choose between 4-5 options and not all have the far target at 25). And the guys on my team are pretty good... one guy has 2 firsts (won guns), another has a second place at Knoxville... I just took 2 seconds and a third at Columbia.

Guess what I'm saying is... think about the options you have to shoot. There's no "set" order, the order we shoot is totally opposite from what many use, but we have a reason for doing it. It works for us. It might not work for you or anyone else, I guess what I'm trying to say is be familiar what your strengths and weakness are, and tailor the order you shoot the stages to that. My advice would be to shoot your strength first, using that to bolster your confidence as well as to get more warmed up and hopefully do better in your weaker areas.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  10. mike g35

mike g35

The thing to remember is have fun. Everything else is secondary. When it comes to advice however you are in the right place. When I first started thinking about shooting a match I drove everyone here nuts with all of my questions and truthfully I only quit asking questions recently. The only advice I can give is read the rules, have fun, and ask questions. Its better to ask questions and know what you are doing than to go to a match unprepared and hold up the match or ,even worse, do something unsafe. Just talk to other shooters and ask the RO's questions if you need to. You will have the time of your life, I did.

11. Lawman223

Lawman223

Ask questions. If you have anything you're not sure about when you get there ask. The RO's can walk you through the loading procedure and what you need to shoot on each stage. Shoot your sights, and don't try to keep up with the guy shooting in front of you, especially if it's me. I hate to see people come to the line after I shoot and try to keep up. Normally does not go well. GSSF is a very accuracy oriented sport. If you shoot 5 to Glock in 10 seconds per string clean, you will beat the guy who shoots it in 5 with two D hits a string. Slow down. If you're throwing D hits, or worse misses, you're going too fast.

If I had the one gun that you do, a Gen 4 23 I would sign up for Am Civ and Competition. Shoot the Competition entry first then the Am Civ. You're probably not going to win Comp with the 23 but it will give you a chance to warm up on the stage before you shoot you're primary entry and give you the best opportunity for success in that Division.

12. OregonGlock

OregonGlock

Great advice - all signed up. Am Civ and Comp.

See you all next month!

13. coyote 30

coyote 30 COYOTE HUNTER!!

Good advice. This is what I do also. I sign up for 5 catagories knowing I am not going to win in a couple of them but use those 2 for the warmup and then try to carry that over into the catagory I might have a chance to win or finish near the top.