close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Interest in Nighthawk Waning?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by GVFlyer, Dec 23, 2011.

1. GVFlyer

GVFlyer Senior Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Somewhere in the air.
    I still haven't added a Nighthawk Custom to my 1911 collection, in part because they took a weird turn about a year ago and presently don't have anything that interests me. The other part is that I'm concerned about them maintaining value. There seems to be little interest in the line right now among the 1911 literati and even the gun magazines.

I know it's anecdotal, but as quasi-proof I submit that over at-the-other place, if I go to the 1911 manufacturers forums, right now there are 62 on the Colt forum, 25 on Dan Wesson, 20 on Ed Brown, 41 on Kimber, 32 on Les Baer, 27 on Wilson Combat, 18 on Sig Sauer, 52 on Springfield Armory, 4 on Remington and only 2 people on the Nighthawk forum.

What say you?

2. mstennes

mstennes

Nov 25, 2010
    The only one that interests me is the T3, I do have a Vickers though, but its a few years old, and to be honest, when it gets its service it will hopefully be Wilson doing it.

3. SpringerTGO

SpringerTGO

Jul 30, 2011
    The worst service I have received, on any PRODUCT I own, was from Nighthawk. My T3 was unreliable as delivered and the ambi safety was not as described. The owner of the company treated me like dirt, and implied that I was a liar.
    Seriously, if you are going to spend that kind of money on a 1911, there are better companies to deal with.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  4. awpk03s

awpk03s

Apr 1, 2007
    Ohio
    I have 2 Nighthawk pistols and love them.

There are a lot of great guns being made by some seriously skilled people these days.... Wilson, Nighthawk, Guncrafter, Ed Brown, Baer, Infinity, STI, Dan Wesson, etc. My point is there are a ton of good options.

I don't buy in to all of the drama-mongering about some of the makers... If you want a NH, go for it. They are great guns in my experience.

5. glockarmor

glockarmor

Oct 18, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I have 2 Nighthawks and a Wilson.. Both of my Nighthawks are below 10,000 Ser# and run flawlessly. The Wilson also runs flawlessly, is first class equipment and their quality control appears to be a cut about Nighthawk. Just MHO

6. 38 Super Fan

38 Super Fan

Jul 15, 2010
    KY
    I had planned to add a hard chrome Enforcer, but given the current price and issues I've read about, I've really lost interest. It dosen't make sense for me to spend well clear of $3000 on an Enforcer, when I can pick up a GunCrafter for hundreds less and almost certainly have a better built gun.

7. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    The T3 interested me at first, until I started reading and hearing from first hand owners, that they were having alot of trouble with them. The T3 has really given NH a blackeye IMO, and the customer service reports have been less than stellar to say the least. I have a less than 800 serial numbered Predator II, that runs like a champ, that I picked up from DRC Firearms awhile back and am glad I have an older model. The Enforcer that BAC has, I would like to have an exact copy of, as well as a Lady Hawk and even the Falcon, but for the price raises in the recent past and knowing firsthand that 6 of NH's best builders recently left to go to Wilson, I'll stick to Guncrafter and Wilson, if I'm gonna be buying any guns that are made in the "1911 Capitol of the World". :cool:

8. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Feb 28, 2001
    NY
  9. jwhite75

jwhite75 Gubmint Worker

Jan 6, 2009
    Dub V
    I agree witht he weird turn, and when Vickers pulled hi name off them something smelled funny too me. Too many great builders out there to take a chance on them as a relatively unproven company compared to the others.

I would buy a Wilson, Baer, Ed Brwon etc. first

10. SpringerTGO

SpringerTGO

Jul 30, 2011
    When I received my Nighthawk it had a defective slide stop. It was dropping closed on an empty magazine.
    When I ordered it, I specifically asked about the ambi safety, because I had problems with them coming loose and knew that Wilson makes a "Bullet Proof" one that stays put.

At the same time my slide stop wasn't working the safety got loose. I called to send it in, and was transferred to the owner. After a very heated discussion, the owner told me I was lying about speaking with his representative (Tim) about the safety, but would fix the slide stop. So they fixed that and sent it back to me with the same safety.

After about 700 rounds it is now locking open even with rounds in the magazine. I replaced the recoil spring, but haven't had time to test it.

In another forum, the representative of Nighthawk (Larry Lyles) goes on to say, that if not for my bad attitude, Nighthawk would have replaced the safety. And that I should just sell the T3.

Nice, huh?

11. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    Chalk up another defective T3, along with bad CS.

12. SpringerTGO

SpringerTGO

Jul 30, 2011
    You've really got to love it when a manufacturer sells you a defective product, and then tells you to sell it if you aren't happy with it.
    I produced emails on the other forum (which I am banned from now) showing that I had conversations with their rep prior to them building the T3.

It's also pretty funny that the manufacturer accused me of lying about a relatively inexpensive part, on a $3000+ handgun. I even bought a Nighthawk holster.
    Let's see..... I can buy the T3 and holster cash, but I am desperate enough to have to lie about a safety, in order to pull something over on them. Yup, that sure makes sense.

I would sell it, but I'm keeping it as a reminder as to why I should stick with quality firearms from companies with great reputations. I pretty much gag every time I look at it.

13. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    I'd buy a Wilson or a used Rock River before a NH

14. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    If it's working, and has been deemed as "fixed" by Nighthawk, then I'd sell it toot sweet. Tax time is just around the corner. If I were you, I'd sell it then. Even it was fixed, I'd still have a bad taste in mouth about it just on pure principal alone. I had a Weatherby SUB-MOA that had to go back to Weatherby 2 times before it would actually group under an inch. (And that was with good customer service.) I sold it for a pretty good loss, out of pure unadulterated spite and just because I couldn't even look at it without getting pissed off and wanting to throw in into the garbage can.

15. SpringerTGO

SpringerTGO

Jul 30, 2011
    It was deemed fixed, but then acted up after around 700 rounds or less. I just replaced the recoil spring, but I don't even feel like tested it. It's much more fun to shoot my TGO1.
    With Larry Lyles telling me to unload it if I don't like it, I don't think that's the way to go. I'm not desperate for the money, and I would rather take it to the range, show people how the casings hit the slide in front of the ejection port (great for the finish), and let them know about how Nighthawk treated me.

Basically I have a $3k gun that I don't like, but I'll bet that Nighthawk would have been better off fixing it in the first place and not accusing me of lying.

The posts in the other forum got pretty funny, when Larry produced an email I sent, that proved my point. Then I produced another one.
    And then Larry telling me to sell it.:rofl:
    I have to wonder how many potential customers read that thread.

16. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Both my Nighthawks have been terrific. However, I bought them years ago.

17. SpringerTGO

SpringerTGO

Jul 30, 2011
    No doubt Nighthawk can build a 1911 that works. Lots of companies do, and it's not rocket science.

But I've never been treated so poorly by a manufacturer. And judging by a lot of the posts I have read, there really isn't a good reason to buy a Nighthawk. At best it will work, but quite often buyers will end up like me. Sooner or later a buyer stands a good chance of having to deal with service.

Why not learn from others mistakes and just go to a first class company like Wilson?

18. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Feb 28, 2001
    NY

Because they are over priced as well. :dunno: :rofl:

19. GVFlyer

GVFlyer Senior Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Somewhere in the air.
    Dunno, I think that my 1911s from Wilson, Brown, Baer and Dan Wesson have all represented good value, I'm just not so sure about Nighthawk going forward.

20. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    I gotta agree.